The Punk Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the Jam were popular, they were closely linked with early Who, perhaps even by Paul Weller himself. Maybe even Pete linked them. I can't remember.

for all i know, it came from that magazine with the big paul weller article you sent me a while back. that was cool. :up:

i like the jam. kinda hard to hate on anyone who covers "in the midnight hour," in general. i remember being very disappointed that the bad religion song titled "only entertainment" was not a cover of "that's entertainment." i don't know why i thought it would have been, maybe i fucked up the song titles or something.

ugh, idiot who put this on youtube spelled it wrong...
YouTube - The Jam - Eaton Rifles - 1979

and i think some of weller's solo stuff is badass, as well.
YouTube - BBC4 Sessions Paul Weller - Wild Wood

yeah, i went there (with some video links).

I am not a big punk fan, I'm sure most of you know this by now. But I really enjoyed The Undertones self-titled. Had a great, GREAT time with that album this afternoon.

I am not a big punk fan, I'm sure most of you know this by now. But I really enjoyed The Undertones self-titled. Had a great, GREAT time with that album this afternoon.

:up: I just got this as well and greatly enjoyed it.

EDIT:

I totally posted something in the wrong section.

Uh, anyways, Bouncing Souls are still better than most everything else that's ever been posted in this thread.

Uh, anyways, Bouncing Souls are still better than most everything else that's ever been posted in this thread.

and that is why i listened to anchors aweigh the other day, and none of the other bands in here. or something.

Only because IWB and/or Traviud might find this interesting:

Punk Island Album Pool

This is a partial list of the albums I'm working from for DI IX. Pay no attention to the subgenres. I'm 90% sure Wikipedia is lying on nearly all of them.

:hmm: cool.

the sub-genres actually kind of cracked me up. i clicked the band column several times trying to make it alphabetize them for me to no avail. why can't everything be itunes?

i forgot about pinhead gunpowder. it was really funny for about 30 seconds when i got them mixed up with pinback once. although i think you had to have been there. mofo might have been there. i can't remember. it was a long time ago.

i was thinking that for the next normal-sized DI i'll have to make a list that isn't out to prove that i listen to more than one kind of music. or a list that doesn't end up getting thrown together at the last minute over the course of an hour on or close-ish to the day phanan suggests he wants them. i somewhat hate my list already, and you guys haven't even seen it yet. and really, what would be the fun in that?

I was thinking about bumping this thread a few weeks ago when I was on a big (mostly old-school) punk kick.

I'm not really riding that wave any longer, so I don't have much to add. The Buzzcocks ruled.

And I still think that that debut album by the Donnas that was ghostwritten by some dude who was weirdly talented at writing Ramones rip-off tunes from a girl's perspective is...one of the most brilliant things I've heard all year.

Oh, and the debut albums by both Dead Kennedys and Bad Brains kicked ass. Two classics of the genre, for sure, but I'd never heard them in full before a few weeks ago. Good shit.

Back
Top Bottom