The Post-Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebloodonelife

Blue Crack Addict
I know there's plenty of people on here who enjoy some post-rock goodness, so discuss, share, etc.

I started out listening to Explosions in the Sky and branched out from there. Got into Mogwai, This Will Destroy You, Do Make Say Think, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and God is an Astronaut. Just discovered We vs. Death, who are amazing :drool: They have some songs up for free download on their website: http://www.wevsdeath.nl/

Who else should I check out? Who are you guys listening to?

Glad you made a separate thread, as the Explosions one had got greatly off topic.

These are some of the post-rock groups I'm a fan of (in no order):

Mogwai
Explosions in the Sky
Sigur Ros
Mono
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
65daysofstatic
The Six Parts Seven
Pelican
Slint

Post-rockish, but not necessarily post-rock:

Ratatat
The Album Leaf
Battles
Broken Social Scene
Eluvium

I wrote up a big thing on the genre back in the day, I'll look to see if I still have it and post.

If you enjoy Do Make Say Think, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, I would recommend these albums (listed as artist-record):

Eluvium- Copia
Menomena- Under An Hour
The Album Leaf- Into The Blue Again.
The Besnard Lakes- Are The Dark Horse
Early Day Miners- Placer Found
A Silver Mt. Zion- He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light...
The Six Parts Seven- Casually Smashed To Pieces

And if you're looking to branch out from Post-Rock into... well, Post-Classical:

Stars of the Lid- And Their Refinement of the Decline (it's their newest album, and one of their best).

---

PS- I wrote this at the same time as u2popmofo, so please forgive the repetition.

I downloaded a Slint album after I saw u2popmofo mention them in another thread, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though.

I've wanted to check out Mono, Pelican, and 65daysofstatic, where's a good place to start with each?

:up: Awesome Pinball Wizard, I've wanted to get some Eluvium too.

onebloodonelife said:
I downloaded a Slint album after I saw u2popmofo mention them in another thread, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though.

Spiderland, I hope!

It's arguably the "first" post-rock album, at least in terms of what post-rock ended up turning into. It's fantastic as well.....and has lyrics.

I forgot to mention Besnard Lakes. Cujowned. :(

Yndi Halda, Yndi Halda, Yndi Halda, Yndi Halda, Yndi Halda, Yndi Halda, Yndi Halda, Yndi Halda, Yndi Halda, Yndi Halda...

you get my point...

http://www.myspace.com/yndihalda

Jesu is post-metal ;) but yeah, it's a variation of post-rock

last month the magazine where I work published an article of mine about post-rock, I would love to post it, but it's in spanish :giggle:

u2popmofo said:
It's arguably the "first" post-rock album, at least in terms of what post-rock ended up turning into.

Going further back, I would say that Gustav Holst fathered post-rock with his Planets suite. The ideas of orchestral crescendo and sharp melodic contrasts stem directly from classical compositions. If you listen to something like Mars, The Bringer of War (which I happen to be enjoying right now), you can hear where some of the more formulaic* post-rock bands -like Explosions in the Sky- find their ancestral lineage.

*formulaic in terms of structure: slow build-up, heavy climax, layered and delayed instruments, etc.

Pinball Wizard said:

*formulaic in terms of structure: slow build-up, heavy climax

Is that your sexcuse, you just don't want to be "formulaic"?

Jack In The Box said:
Jesu is post-metal ;) but yeah, it's a variation of post-rock

I wouldn't really call Jesu post-metal. That label makes me think of Pelican and Russian Circles (who I both recommend highly to anybody unfamiliar with them, especially Russian Circles). I think drone doom is the most fitting label for the first Jesu album, but the shoegazer influence has made that label a bit useless for everything that's followed.

As for post-rock, I absolutely must mention Jakob. Now there's some quality New Zealand music. I love their soundscapes.

u2popmofo said:

Spiderland, I hope!

It's arguably the "first" post-rock album, at least in terms of what post-rock ended up turning into. It's fantastic as well.....and has lyrics.

It was. :wink: I plan on giving it a listen tonight.

onebloodonelife said:

It was. :wink: I plan on giving it a listen tonight.

GOOD

I found the article I spoke of. This was written 2 years ago, so it's not up to date, and mainly was for some friends who didn't know much about the genre but were interested (so it's not all that in depth). I can't believe I failed to mention Wildnerness and Hope of the States in my first post. Especially Wilderness, I freaking have a group for them on Last FM and I didn't mention them. Anyways.

Over the last few years I’ve become quite a large fan of a genre of music called “post-rock”. While this form of music’s name is somewhat self-explanatory, further description is necessary. Wikipedia states: The term post-rock was coined by Simon Reynolds in issue 123 of The Wire (May 1994) to describe a sort of music "using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbres and textures rather than riffs and power chords." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-rock Post-rock usually has some kind of large build up or crescendo in its songs, frequently moving from soft/quiet tones to loud/harsh tones. Post-rock is extremely powerful and beautiful music, it can sound like a gentle breeze suddenly turning into a hurricane. It is generally instrumental and lacks vocals, more akin to orchestrated soundtracks than conventional main stream rock and roll. I’d like to briefly introduce some of my favorite post-rock bands.

Slint is considered by many to be the fathers (or grandfathers…) of post-rock on their classic album ‘Spiderland’ (just read every single interview the band did last year for their brief reunion tour, how many times can a band be asked how they feel about creating post-rock?!). ‘Spiderland’’s shifting dynamics and tempos set the standard for the “quiet, loud, quiet, loud” song structure typically used in the genre. Lead “singer”, Brian McMahan mumbles, whispers, screams his lyrics as stories. While the lyrics themselves aren’t necessarily dark, his vocal delivery mixed with the music itself helps to give a chilling, almost frightening, atmosphere to the album. ‘Spiderland’ is a necessity to any post-rock fan’s collection, and likely enjoyed by those who even say they hate the genre.

Mogwai is popularly cited as having joined to create “serious guitar music”. They have mixed the dynamics of post-rock with their obvious rock influences in a way that’s resulted in The Cure’s Robert Smith frequently calling them his favorite band. Mogwai is probably my favorite “pure instrumental post-rock” band, always impressing me with their enormously powerful crescendos and dense instrumentation. Famous for their live performances, Mogwai often will play lengthy extended versions of just a handful of songs in their sets, frequently not even stopping between tracks. Mogwai has evolved over their career, gradually making their sound more dense with production and electronics, making their entire catalog enjoyable to listen to and compare. Last year’s ‘Government Commissions’ is a great place to start if you’re interested, being a compilation of some of their best tracks recorded in a live setting for the BBC.

Explosions in the Sky have quickly become one of the most popular post-rock bands of the moment. These Texans, famous for their ecstatic glimmering sound, use a surprisingly standard setup of only drums, bass, and guitar. Their music was powerful and beautiful, that they were asked to do the score to the movie Friday Night Lights (a movie fittingly set in Texas). They’ve yet to release a bad album and are certainly recommended.

Sigur Rós are one of those bands that are seemingly loved and praised by everyone, whether it be the press, fellow artists, or listeners. It’s difficult to think of many bands that make music as beautiful and lush, yet so unique and strange as Sigur Rós. Quite honestly, they’re one of my all-time favorite bands. It’s likely that you’ve already heard Sigur Rós without knowing it, they were featured in the films Vanilla Sky and The Life Aquatic for example. This Icelandic band is famous for making incredibly dense and lush sound scapes, and particularly for their lead singer’s vocal delivery. His delicate falsetto makes Icelandic and “Hopelandic” (a made up form of gibberish he frequently uses in his lyrics) an absolute thrill to listen to. Their sophomore effort, ‘Ágætis Byrjun’, was the album that put them the map. It seemed like they could do no wrong, receiving stellar review after stellar review from the press, landing Radiohead’s seal of approval as their opener on tour, and topping countless year-end lists (deservedly so in my opinion). ‘Ágætis Byrjun’ was followed by ‘()’, an album with no title and no song titles, it had no lyrics and was completely sung in “Hopelandic”. Last year Sigur Rós released ‘Takk…’, an album I consider to be their second masterpiece. Everyone should check out Sigur Rós, they’re legitimately the kind of band that will, as Garden State stated, change your life.

Other notable bands have helped take post-rock in new directions. Godspeed You! Black Emperor has provided true orchestral type arrangements and sounds, 65daysofstatic have pushed further into the electronic aspect, and bands like Hope of the States, The Album Leaf, Wilderness, and Broken Social Scene have taken elements from the genre and incorporated it into a much more accessible and popish style.

u2popmofo said:
Translate it for us, JiB.

:waiting:

someday...

Pinball Wizard said:

After listening to Enjoy Eternal Bliss by these guys... I second the recommendation. Great album.

glad you like them, they're like my "new post-rock promise"

Axver said:

I wouldn't really call Jesu post-metal. That label makes me think of Pelican and Russian Circles (who I both recommend highly to anybody unfamiliar with them, especially Russian Circles). I think drone doom is the most fitting label for the first Jesu album, but the shoegazer influence has made that label a bit useless for everything that's followed.

ambient sludge... (?)

Good (old) write up, mofo. I honestly knew nothing about Post Rock before this last year. I really liked Battles though, and I am going to have to get into more Post-Rock stuff in '08.

well, Battles aren't exactly the best example of post-rock

they belong to the brother-genre of post-rock: math-rock

both styles have things in common, but aren't the same... 65daysofstatic is a band with both veins in their music

Last edited:
Dorian Gray said:
the fact that we can't come up with sufficient adjectives for Jesu is indication of their awesomeness

Ha, yes. Broadrick is a genius.

Ambient sludge isn't a bad label though. How about shoegaze drone?

Isis are absolute quality. I'm still kicking myself for missing them when they came to Melbourne in February 2007.

Oh well, I'm seeing Explosions In The Sky and Eluvium in a month. :drool:

EitS live it's a complete experience, and I just watched videos on youtube of Eluvium live, he must be fantastic, lucky you

Jack In The Box said:
EitS live it's a complete experience, and I just watched videos on youtube of Eluvium live, he must be fantastic, lucky you

This is really great timing too, as I'd heard good things about Eluvium but only I'd only just started to get into his material when I bought the ticket to the concert. I'm really excited.

COBL_04 said:
What is post rock? I've not heard of one of these bands.

Did you read the thread? :eyebrow: Just ten posts before yours is a good one by u2popmofo that should be enlightening.

Jack In The Box said:
lol
have you listened to Isis? they are similar to Jesu

actually I first heard Jesu at an Isis concert, they were opening up for them.

both put on a killer show.. I think Jesu really grabbed my attention that night though. every note literally shook my core- positively spine shaking.

martha said:
So if I really like Pelican, I'll like ______________.

Mono (the japanese ones)
Rosetta
Red Sparowes
and yes, yes and yes to the Russian Circles mention

Back
Top Bottom