The Post-Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the new This Will Destroy You album comes out next week.

I've only heard the first track, which was fantastic, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Already got my tickets!

They're apparently doing a "secret show" somewhere in Melbourne on 16/09 too ... :hmm:

I've seen Explosions in the Sky before, but for some reason had forgotten how absolutely fantastic they are live. Good golly, I'm on a crazy music high still. You listen to this band's albums and think, "This is beautiful, but there's no way it'll sound this good live", but somehow it ends up being even better. Their music, in many ways, sets the bar for how beautiful and moving music can, and should, be to me. Their live translations also set the bar for how good a band should be able to sound live. Beautiful show, beautiful songs, beautiful night.

I'm totally going to buy an album or two of theirs and just give them to people I know this weekend. More people need to know this band.

There were apparently 25,000 people there last night. Far cry from the small club I saw them in last time, but the show was just as moving and emotional. Awesome stuff, still super high on the music.

The one and only time they've come to Australia, EITS's Melbourne gig was indescribably mindblowing, one of the best shows I've ever seen. Hanging out for them to make a return.

I've seen Explosions in the Sky before, but for some reason had forgotten how absolutely fantastic they are live. Good golly, I'm on a crazy music high still. You listen to this band's albums and think, "This is beautiful, but there's no way it'll sound this good live", but somehow it ends up being even better. Their music, in many ways, sets the bar for how beautiful and moving music can, and should, be to me. Their live translations also set the bar for how good a band should be able to sound live. Beautiful show, beautiful songs, beautiful night.

I'm totally going to buy an album or two of theirs and just give them to people I know this weekend. More people need to know this band.

that is awesome.

This was our setlist, by the way:

The Only Moment We Were Alone
Last Known Surroundings
Catastrophe and the Cure
Yasmin the Light
Postcard from 1952
Greet Death
Your Hand in Mine
The Birth and Death of the Day
Let Me Back In

I saw them at Lolla a few years ago, and had mild expectations...but, they were pretty incredible. I'm not even a big post-rock fan, but, they were fairly transcendent.

I like EITS but the only song Ive heard from them that I really can say that I LOVE or has moved me is 'your hand in mine.' A lot of the other stuff sounds a bit repetitive and monotonous for me, but I have respect for them.

Of the big 4 post-rock bands: Godspeed You!, Sigur Ros, EITS, and Mogwai, I have only really been able to get in to Sigur Ros and Godspeed.

Lesser known, but I also really really like 'Hammock', have you guys heard of them? Hammock was invited to open for Sigur Ros I believe. Great ambient shoegazey Post-rock goodness.

Hammock - Raising your voice...trying to stop an echo - YouTube

Beautiful but I will say that the above song is a bit of a rip of "Untitled 4 (Njosnavelin)" by Sigur Ros, do you guys also hear that? But Hammock has some great stuff, one of my personal favorites below:

Hammock - The House Where We Grew up - YouTube

Fucking psyched for that album.

Also, I'm not positive but I might like F#A# Infinity more than Lift Yr Skinny Fists. Such a good album.

The new Russian Circles album is out there, folks.

Holy fucking shit.

I hadn't listened to any of the new stuff yet, except for hearing 309 live a few times in September. The studio version is just as thunderous as the live versions were, and the rest of the album delivers.

I don't think it tops Station, but I think it outdoes Enter and Geneva.

Spoke to the members of the band and they said they would be coming back to Australia after touring the US and Europe, so I hope they do. I'd love to hear more of this stuff live. So jealous of everybody in the US who gets to see them with support from Deafheaven.

Agree with Ax - Empros is excellent, although I too would put it just below Station, which is still my favorite album of theirs. The only thing I didn't care for was Praise Be Man - I don't think the vocals work and it doesn't really go with the rest of the album. A poor closer.

I like it a lot too. The only other one I have is Station and I like them about equal. Schipol is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom