The Post-Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps, but EITS has been able to connect with people that aren't into the genre, their music is just so melodic and beautiful, and a lot less esoteric than many of the other post-rockers out there.

Well true, but they've also probably had the most media exposure out of any post rockers, Friday Night Lights alone saw to that.

It is indeed, although sometimes I think they get hyped up more than they should, considering how many other great post-rock albums are out there.

A lot of post-rock albums sound like EITS to me because they were my (and many others') introduction to the genre. It's very sad, because the peak has remained The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place for years IMO, and I'm sure there are better post-rock releases. I just think it all sounds like that album. :lol:

Similar, yet different (this makes no sense) than LeMeL, I typically think all instrumental only type post-rock bands just sound like Mogwai (though I still enjoy many of them regardless of that). I've never felt that way about Explosions though, as I think they have their own distinct sound.

Well, it would be hard to make a case for any other band having a bigger influence on the genre than Mogwai, and they certainly have that darker/distorted sound I was talking about going on a lot of the time.

Most post-rock just sounds like EITS to me, so while I love what I hear, I inevitably just end up wanting to listen to EITS.

Except God Is An Astronaut. They're different and awesome and :love:

This all reminds me that I still haven't heard 65daysofstatic's 2010 release yet. :(

EDIT: Just ordered an import version from Amazon. :cabbagepatch:

I always forget what genre they are. Something about their name makes me think they're emo and I always ignore them :doh:

Similar, yet different (this makes no sense) than LeMeL, I typically think all instrumental only type post-rock bands just sound like Mogwai (though I still enjoy many of them regardless of that). I've never felt that way about Explosions though, as I think they have their own distinct sound.

without reading any other posts other than this one in this thread since sometime around when jack in the box still haunted these parts, i'm going to say yeah, i completely agree with this comment. it's probably the reason i generally enjoy any instrumental-only post-rock i might hear. that's what i hadn't quite pinpointed to explain why i do enjoy mogwai, except that explosions in the sky are really good and somehow in my mind deserve a distinction.

EITS were the band i think i wanted to listen to last night. i thought i was in the mood for some aphex twin, but it annoyed me. so i settled for shearwater, but the vocals distracted me (i was reading). in the end i just ended up turning off the music and watching star wars. i will listen to them now.

i think a lot of post-rock bands do end up sounding kinda the same, but there are some unique ones. i do agree that Explosions and Mogwai have done a lot to define the genre.

some i like that i think have their own sound:

Cloudkicker - technical post-metal/rock... Beacons is one of my favourite post-rock albums ever. he (it's just one guy) offers it as a pay-what-you-want download on his website - Cloudkicker amazing buildups, interesting rhythms, and some really heavenly moments.

Joy Wants Eternity - sort of shoegaze mixed with post-rock. i saw them live and the wall of sound was overwhelming. really powerful stuff, very emotional. You Who Pretend To Sleep is my favourite album of theirs.

Long Distance Calling - heavy post-rock/post-metal, kind of dark... I'm in love with their album Avoid the Light. The track "The Nearing Grave" has one of my favourite vocalists as a guest (Jonas Redke from Katatonia), and it's a beautiful haunting song with an epic ending. it's on their myspace Long Distance Calling on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Maserati - their album Inventions for the New Season kinda sounds to me like 80's U2 jam sessions. their sound gets a little more dancey on later records.

and of course God is an Astronaut has already been mentioned... 65daysofstatic is another good electronic/post-rock hybrid.

Long Distance Calling - heavy post-rock/post-metal, kind of dark... I'm in love with their album Avoid the Light. The track "The Nearing Grave" has one of my favourite vocalists as a guest (Jonas Redke from Katatonia), and it's a beautiful haunting song with an epic ending. it's on their myspace Long Distance Calling on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I still don't think Long Distance Calling have lived up the promise shown on the DMSTRTN EP. Just compare the original version of Fire In The Mountain to the version on Satellite Bay. Why did they even think of changing it?!

i haven't actually heard that EP - i'll have to check it out. i like Satellite Bay, but Avoid the Light is a lot more interesting and emotive to me, and the heavier moments rock more.

I'll happily agree that Avoid The Light > Satellite Bay. But nothing on either of them tops the original Fire In The Mountain for me. Love that track.

My first iPod was black, and it's name was "Godspeed You! Black iPod". Maybe that was the second one. One of my 4 iPods was called that.

Why on earth didn't you explain what you were talking about?!

Hi Everyone,

We're pleased to announce that our fifth album will be coming out this April. It has six songs and its called Take Care, Take Care, Take Care. It was recorded on a pecan ranch in West Texas by our good friend and frequent collaborator John Congleton. Esteban Rey did the artwork. The music on it feels different than anything else we've done before and we're very excited for you to hear it.

Anyway, here is the track list:

1. Last Known Surroundings
2. Human Qualities
3. Trembling Hands
4. Be Comfortable, Creature
5. Postcard from 1952
6. Let Me Back In

And here are the release dates:

UK (April 18th)

Europe (April 25th)

US and Canada (April 26th)

Thanks for caring and we hope to see a lot of you this year.

Love,

Explosions

Back
Top Bottom