The Post-Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This_Will_Destroy_You_-_Cover_Art.jpg

Shit son, I love titles that tell the future. Kind of like There Will Be Blood.

martha said:

I wondered about the other bands. I considered going to the show and then leaving after Pelican played. :hmm:

I'm also considering that. :up:

onebloodonelife said:

:up:

They're top-notch as well. Check out their official page, they have some free songs for download.

I like what I've heard so far. I'll have to check out the entire album.

As for This Will Destroy You, some of it is pretty good, yet others I don't think sound as good. Almost comes across as unfinished to me in places. Don't know if that was done on purpose or not.

Perhaps a few more listens will change my mind.

phanan said:

I like what I've heard so far. I'll have to check out the entire album.

As for This Will Destroy You, some of it is pretty good, yet others I don't think sound as good. Almost comes across as unfinished to me in places. Don't know if that was done on purpose or not.

Perhaps a few more listens will change my mind.

I personally like This Will Destroy You's Young Mountain EP better than the self-titled LP. I think their EP is essentially perfect, but I'm not as crazy about the LP. Still like it, but just not as good as the EP, IMO.

I can't stop listening to EF's "Give Me Beauty...Or Give Me Death" today. I don't usually like post rock with vocals, but somehow, they do it so well, it doesn't bother me. And, you can't go wrong when adding strings to the post rock.

I bought my ticket for Pelican tonight. The young man who sold me the ticket assured me that if I left after Pelican I was going to miss two great bands. The old fart in me is thrilled: doors at 5:30, show starts at 6:30 because there are four bands on the bill and Pelican plays second. :up: I can be home in bed on a school night by 10:00. :up: :reject:

Jack In The Box said:
"Give me beauty..." it's just fantastic, and i love the cover art

this is a post-rock thread, and no mention to the new and absolutely amazing A Silver Mt. Zion album?

"13 Blues for Thirteen Moons" :drool:

album of the year, I don't care the rest...

if you speak spanish :sexywink: :
http://ashcities.blogspot.com/2008/02/thee-silver-mt-zion-memorial-orchestra.html

even if you don't speak spanish :shh: :
http://ashcities.blogspot.com/2008/02/asmz-para-bajar.html

I still haven't gotten around to listening to any Silver Mt. Zion, but they are coming through my town in May, so I'm going to try to check them out.

martha said:
You people have fucked me up. :up: I bought a ticket for Red Sparowes with Russian Circles opening. On a school night. :D

That was our plan all along. (Insert evil laugh).

And, holy shit!! I just got around to listening to Yndi Halda. Absolutely love it. I've been really into strings lately, and this is just amazing. :drool:

I also listened to Yndi Halda for the first time recently. Loved it.

Even without vocals, it actually seemed quite progressive to me.

Then again, really, this can all be considered progressive. People see that term and think of the early 70's, but man, it's so much more than that.

Post Rock seems like a continuation of it in a way. Probably one of the reasons why I enjoy it so much.

phanan said:
I also listened to Yndi Halda for the first time recently. Loved it.

Even without vocals, it actually seemed quite progressive to me.

Then again, really, this can all be considered progressive. People see that term and think of the early 70's, but man, it's so much more than that.

Post Rock seems like a continuation of it in a way. Probably one of the reasons why I enjoy it so much.

I'm loving Yndi Halda more each time I listen to them. :up:

It's funny you say that about progressive rock and post rock because I just wrote a paper a few weeks ago for my rock history class comparing the two genres, except I focused on both of their rejections of the rock standard of the time and their popularity. I definitely see a lot of similarities between the two, and I agree that post rock is a continuation of sorts from the progressive rock tradition.

probably it has something of prog, but I don't see post-rock as a continuation

I don't mean to be a braggart, but I SEE EXPLOSIONS 2 WEEKS FROM TONIGHT!

*high fives everyone in this thread*

Jack In The Box said:

Perhaps continuation was the wrong word to use, as its clearly gone off on its own tangent. The genre does have progressive elements, however.

God Is An Astronaut is in Boston next week. I'd love to be able to go if I can.

Jack In The Box said:

Nor I.

I think trying to act like post-rock came from prog is giving prog more credit than it deserves and giving post-rock itself far too little credit. Sure, there might be similarities, but there are similarities with classical music and post-rock as well, that doesn't mean that it's a continuation or was derived from it. Post-rock is its own genre with its own origins. I see far more similarity and influence from shoegaze, but I still wouldn't say it's a continuation.

Last edited:
I think I love you mofo! I agree completely

also I see similarities between post-rock and noise

u2popmofo said:
I don't mean to be a braggart, but I SEE EXPLOSIONS 2 WEEKS FROM TONIGHT!

*high fives everyone in this thread*

I don't mean to top that, but I'm seeing them TOMORROW NIGHT!!!!!!!

:combust::faint::drool::eek::bono::eek::ohmy:

Martha's post reminded me that Red Sparowes with Russian Circles and Hellas Mounds will be here in 2 weeks. I like what I've heard from Russian Circles but I'm not familiar with Red Sparowes or Hellas Mounds :hmm:

lucky you

really, I can't even imagine a show by those guys, it must be... epic, gigantic, apocalyptic... you know

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom