The Police Tour '07 - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2FanPeter said:
Search youtube for "police edmonton" and there's clips from at least 4 different camera phones.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c4AGsyar70 is a 26 second clip that does a pan of the crowd. See if you can tell where the "expensive" seats end and the "cheap" seats begin.

You know, that's really sad. Maybe not just The Police themselves, but I hope that Police's people noticed that. That's really pathetic.

When the Eagles went on tour a couple of years back, they sold lots of expensive seats and very little cheap ones as well. A friend of mine who was at their show told me that Eagles' people came up to the upper balcony and gave passes to people to fill up the floor because it was half full.

I don't know why they couldn't tell people to move left or right and move up closer to the front.

I think it the $220 and $50 did okay, but it was the $90 for so-so vantage points that lead to the empty seats in Edmonton.

It may not bode well for a fall arena show in Calgary(bigger city with deeper pockets, but has a smaller stadium) I wonder if the Police sold more tickets when they last passed thru Alberta in the early 80's?

The clip was during the opening song of the set, so so maybe people just moved during the show themselves.

I think all the other US Stadium and arena shows already announced are all nearing capacity. One or two markets in Europe may get an attendance repeat of Edmonton.

u2fp

anyone going to the L.A. show at Staples and want to take me? :flirt:

I entered some sort of contest on Best Buy's website, and I guess I won some sort of VIP pre-show pass, but it doesn't include show tickets and is non-transferable. It's for me + 1.

Or I'll have to find some very cheap tix on ebay if I want to attend more than one night. :hmm: I wonder if there are any up there :happy: (yes, I know, there are HUNDREDS!!!)

VANCOUVER DVD BOOTLEGS(ALL 3 NIGHTS)

I bought a new camcorder in mid-may and thought I'd sneak it into a Police show. While I only planned to see the tour opener, but I ended up seeing all 3 shows at GM Place. I ended up shooting about nearly about 200 minutes(80mins at the fan club show, 60mins on 5/28 and 60mins on 5/30 plus 15 minutes each night from a close friend who also attended 3 shows ) of footage over the course of Police stand in Vancouver.

As a knowledgable u2 fan I knew that bootlegs of tour openers were diserable as were the fan club show for 4,000 Police hardcores. It was a total fluke that the final night(the one Stewart Copeland dubbed a disaster) is now likely the most sought after of the 3. I don't think it has even surfaced on audio bootleg yet.

About a week after filming I ran into some serious problems. I only had basic video editing skills and could get a basic DVDr burn to have a watchable copy(noticably degraded from the original due to digital encoding). I then went to a computer store and put all the raw digital data from the camera onto disc for later use.

What I'm hoping for is that a huge Police/Sting/Copeland/live music fan can "inherite" this project from me. I'm looking for someone with semi-pro video editing skills that is also good at post-production cropping/zooming/steadying plus finding other camera footage and hundreds of press and fan photos from Vancouver and pulling it all together. I think an audio upgrade is also in order to make this a really nice finished product.

During song like "Roxanne" I could see about 40 other people with cameras shooting footage. I know there is TONS of other Police vancouver footage that is still stored on fans cameras/phones/computers. hopefully their contributions can be added.

My camera has a 10x zoom and I just had it sitting on my lap, giving the footage a "tripod" look. About half of my footage was was creen shot and the other half was a tight band shot with all 3 members visible at the same time. All of it was shot in widescreen(this was a big problem when a friend and I tried to encode it to DVDr)

I'm writing on a u2 message board because the 4 Police sites I know(stingus, copeland, official sting and Police forums) of either want a credit card number or won't activate my "PoliceVancouver" user name after 2 days of waiting. Feel free to post & copy. This offer is extended to them.

(please note than individual requests for download links or uploading to youtube will be ignored)

Just reply to this thread if you need to get into contact.

u2fp

Here's a catalogue of 5/28(official tour opener) that I filmed:

-Message Bottle(gong + 1st 2 minutes)
-Voices/Running(complete - has great Andy solo)
-Driven(complete - great Andy solo)
-Moon(opening 10 seconds and final minute)
-Truth Hits(complete)
-Magic(opening 45 seconds)
-Finger(complete - includes Stu tossing drumsticks - drum tech is visible playing the gong when Stu is on the kit)
-Bed 2 Big(complete)
-Murder intro(10 seconds)
-DDDD)complete)
-Can't Stand(opening 10 seconds + final minute)
-King of Pain(complete - stu tosses sticks twice)
-So Lonely(complete - Sting doing his little dance on Andy's side)

Footage totals about an hour. Shot from balcony opposite end of the stage with optical zoom cranked. Also includes losts of screen shots. There were many complaints about the sound mix this night and from my taping vantage point audio is only "so-so". I hoping a decent bootleg exist of this shows exists where everything can be heard clearly.

u2fp

Last edited:
Here's a catalogue of 5/28(tour opener) filmed by a friend.

-Running(30sec near start of song)
-Running II(Andy solo to end of song, about 1 minute)
-Driven(minute of middle of song)
-Driven II(solo to end of song, about 1 minute)
-Finger(screen shot, opening 30 seconds)
-Finger II(stage shot about minute, middle of song)
-Murder(complete)
-Next 2 U(15 seconds of the flashing lightshow, wide angle shot)
-Next 2 U II(zoom of band, 1 minute)

Footage totals about 15 minutes. I have been given copy of the raw data. Some of this can been seen severly degraded on youtube via username "BenFrith". Shot from about redline 2 rows up in the lower bowl, Sting side.

u2fp

Here's a catalogue of my 5/30(desirable "disaster" gig) footage.

-Voices/Running(complete)
-Driven(complete - includes stu stick tossing)
-Murder(complete - with Sting expletive laden intro + Swaggard voice impresion)
-DDDD(complete - with Andy "wandering in Idaho")
-Can't Stand(complete)
-Roxanne(complete 9 minutes - with Sting very carefully counting the tempo at the beginning - members can be seen exiting the stage for "band meeting")
-King of Pain(them walking onstage - 10 seconds)
-So Lonely(complete - Sting doing dance on Andy's side - great Andy solo)
-Breath(complete - bit of a trainwreck)
-Next 2 U(complete - also a bit of a trainwreck - some very chilly body language during the bows)

Total running time is about an hour. Shot from balcony opposite end of stage(can you tell I was buying cheap scalper tix?)

While there were some dodgy performances during this concert and song arrangement miscues, there was also a a handful of performances that were the best from all 3 nights. The choas of the botched Message in a Bottle intro and complete trainwreck of Spirits seemed to light the fire in their belly for some songs in the middle of the set. Some fans prefer the friction over the "touchy feely huggin" Police of 2007 evident on 5/27-28.

u2fp

Last edited:
5/30 footage shot by friend

-Synch(complete - great footage of Andy solo standing on speaker stack)
-Moon(30 secs)
-Murder(2nd half)
-Roxanne(30 secs)
-Roxanne II(final 30 secs)
-Lonely(final minute)
-Breath(final 90 secs)
-Next 2 U(2 minutes)

Runs about 15 minutes. Shot about 10 rows up lower bowl, redline, Sting side.

u2fp

5/27 Fanclub performnace.

I have to wait until Late saturday for a complete catalogue, but I have the first hour and 20 minutes and brief snippets of encore songs and the pre-show walk-out/explanation by the 3 band members.

On Saturady I will catalogue the footage from a friend. This is the "BenFrith" footage shot from the 2nd row floor that got 15,000+ views on youtubewww.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=benfrith. More complete clips, 15 minutes of footage in much better quality.

I've also wondered if near complete DVD bootlegs could be made of all 3 nights by recycling footage from alternate Vancouver nights ontop of audio bootlegs. even if this was a good idea, it's over the head of my video editing capabilities.

u2fp

Last edited:
Hopefully these clips can also be used:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ZXTsLl6Sg King of Pain 5/27
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtjTfkrpVBU&mode=related&search= Walking in Your Footsteps 5/27

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3w7teL2DWw Rear stage view 5/28
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSEbvC5lhc Invisible Sun 5/28
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsy_gL3rhbs 10 minute compilation of clips from 5/28
"Vancouverbyte" has some cool 5/28 youtube clips as does "christine1"(from the front row!!)

Little clips from 5/30 by "Timbertoo" on youtube"

Opening night EPK and newsclips from 5/23 outdoor rehearsal.

So one and so on...

u2fp

I don't think Sting liked Bonnaroo.

The set was short, too. When a venue gives you a 2.5 hour slot, and you have 80,000 rapt and ready, why only play 1:45?

I loved every minute of it, had a great place to stand, the sound was incredible, but somehow, Sting seemed to want a Police crowd, not an eclectic mix like Bonnaroo provides.

Well, that ws a boatload o' fun!

They did songs. I didn't know I wanted to hear Demolition Man until someone in front of me pointed out that they didn't do it. :angry: A lovely version of Every Little Thing She Does is Magic. :love:

I'm tired and going to bed now. :)

The Police
June 21, 2007
Anaheim, CA
Honda Center

Source: Sound Professional AT933 Hyper Cardioids >
Sound Pro Battery Box (Roll off @ 107Hz) >
Sony PCM-M1 (@ 44.1khz)

Location: Sec 221 Row K (16 rows back, 10 rows up from stage, right side)

Transfer: Sony PCM-M1 >
Core-Sounds 7 Pin to Coax >
Zoltrix Nightingale Pro 6 >
Adobe Audition (Normalized and fades) >
CDWav (for track splitting) >
FLAC Frontend (FLAC)

Taper: chrisedge@yahoo.com

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO WITH THIS RECORDING.
MP3, FTP SERVER, DC, WEB, REMASTER, WHATEVER,
I CAN'T STOP YOU ANYWAYS!
Just don't be a leech and sell it.

Disc One:

01. Message In A Bottle
02. Synchronicity II
03. Walking On The Moon
04. Voices Inside My Head / When The World Is Running Down...
05. Don't Stand So Close To Me
06. Driven To Tears
07. The Bed's Too Big Without You
08. Truth Hits Everybody
09. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
10. Wrapped Around Your Finger

Disc Two:

01. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
02. Invisible Sun
03. Walking In Your Footsteps
04. Can't Stand Losing You
05. Roxanne
Encore:
06. King Of Pain
07. So Lonely
Encore:
08. Every Breath You Take
Encore:
09. Next To You

I did not put fades at the mid point in show.

Screamers, Drunks and People Who Spend More Time Talking Then Listening Suck.

Very cool chrisedge :bow: How was the show? Are you going to Dodger Stadium as well?

Now who wants to b&p it :shifty:
1 more day for Dodger Stadium! :hyper:

Chrisedge said:
The Police
June 21, 2007
Anaheim, CA
Honda Center

Source: Sound Professional AT933 Hyper Cardioids >
Sound Pro Battery Box (Roll off @ 107Hz) >
Sony PCM-M1 (@ 44.1khz)

Location: Sec 221 Row K (16 rows back, 10 rows up from stage, right side)

Transfer: Sony PCM-M1 >
Core-Sounds 7 Pin to Coax >
Zoltrix Nightingale Pro 6 >
Adobe Audition (Normalized and fades) >
CDWav (for track splitting) >
FLAC Frontend (FLAC)

Taper: chrisedge@yahoo.com

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO WITH THIS RECORDING.
MP3, FTP SERVER, DC, WEB, REMASTER, WHATEVER,
I CAN'T STOP YOU ANYWAYS!
Just don't be a leech and sell it.

Disc One:

01. Message In A Bottle
02. Synchronicity II
03. Walking On The Moon
04. Voices Inside My Head / When The World Is Running Down...
05. Don't Stand So Close To Me
06. Driven To Tears
07. The Bed's Too Big Without You
08. Truth Hits Everybody
09. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
10. Wrapped Around Your Finger

Disc Two:

01. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
02. Invisible Sun
03. Walking In Your Footsteps
04. Can't Stand Losing You
05. Roxanne
Encore:
06. King Of Pain
07. So Lonely
Encore:
08. Every Breath You Take
Encore:
09. Next To You

I did not put fades at the mid point in show.

Screamers, Drunks and People Who Spend More Time Talking Then Listening Suck.

hey chrisedge where is this torrent at? DIME?

Will be up at Dime in about 20 minutes, just tracking it out as we speak. No to Dodger Stadium...I LOVE Foo, and that would be the only reason I would go. I thought the Police were very good, but not great. Some of the reworked songs were not as good, and I thought they sounded better than they really performed. My recording came out pretty good since I was so close. Better than most of mine.

(I have seen the Police and Sting every tour since 1981, and am a big fan...so take that into consideration)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom