The Pogues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayernfc

Refugee
No thread since 2004 and I just can't get enough of their "If I Shall Fall From The Grace With God" album.

Song of the day: Medley, Fairytale of New York, Thousands Are Sailing, Turkish Song of The Damned...well I can't decide!

(DKM covers discussion also allowed! :wink: )

Just saw a documentary on Shane just a few nights ago. Almost hard to watch between the teeth and the drunkeness.

Love the duet with Sinead 'Haunted by the Ghost'.

Great band, and Shane is living proof perhaps you can not brush your teeth, not have a great voice and be pissed drunk for 24/7 and can still be making some of the best music on earth.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Just saw a documentary on Shane just a few nights ago. Almost hard to watch between the teeth and the drunkeness.

Love the duet with Sinead 'Haunted by the Ghost'.
Is that the same song The Pogues played on the Sid and Nancy soundtrack ? I think Cait O'Riordan sang the lead then though.If it's the same song !

dancingcat said:
Is that the same song The Pogues played on the Sid and Nancy soundtrack ? I think Cait O'Riordan sang the lead then though.If it's the same song !

I just looked it up and yes that's the song, the only version I've heard is the one with Sinead...I didn't know about this one.

This album is about as perfect as it gets. I know many people will argue for Rum, Sodomy and the Lash, but every track on this album is indespensible.

www.pogues.com

Shows in the USA, 2006
The Pogues will be performing five shows in the United States of America in October, 2006.

Monday, October 9, San Francisco, The Fillmore — Tickets on sales May 21 at 10:00AM Pacific Time
Monday, October 10, San Francisco, The Fillmore — Tickets on sales May 21 at 10:00AM Pacific Time;

also read they are playing The Wiltern in S.Calif on 10/18. Tickets on sale this week...

Last edited:
Setlist from Japan

01.Srteams of Whiskey
02.If I Should Fall from Grace With God
03.The Broad Majestic Shannon
04.Turkish Song of the Damned
05.Young Ned of the Hill
06.A Pair of Brown Eyes
07.Boys from the County Hell
08.White City
09.Tuesday Morning
10.The Old Main Drag
11.Sayanara
12.Repeal of the Licensing Laws
13.The Sunnyside of The Street
14.The Body of An American
15.Lullaby of London
16.Thousands Are Sailing
17.Dirty Old Town
18.Bottle of Smoke
19.The Sickbed of Cuchulaínn

[Encore 1]
20.Sally MacLennane
21.Rainy Night in Soho
22.The Irish Rover

[Encore 2]
23.Fairytale of New York
24.Fiesta

Haven't found any info on how shane looks/sounds but someone (the only review I found) did say it was an amazing show :shrug:

redkat said:
Setlist from Japan

01.Srteams of Whiskey
02.If I Should Fall from Grace With God
03.The Broad Majestic Shannon
04.Turkish Song of the Damned
05.Young Ned of the Hill
06.A Pair of Brown Eyes
07.Boys from the County Hell
08.White City
09.Tuesday Morning
10.The Old Main Drag
11.Sayanara
12.Repeal of the Licensing Laws
13.The Sunnyside of The Street
14.The Body of An American
15.Lullaby of London
16.Thousands Are Sailing
17.Dirty Old Town
18.Bottle of Smoke
19.The Sickbed of Cuchulaínn

[Encore 1]
20.Sally MacLennane
21.Rainy Night in Soho
22.The Irish Rover

[Encore 2]
23.Fairytale of New York
24.Fiesta

Haven't found any info on how shane looks/sounds but someone (the only review I found) did say it was an amazing show :shrug:

That would have been a fantastic concert to be at, Rainy Night In Soho, pure class.

Lila64 said:
Hubby has tix for 2 of the Wiltern shows. Don't know if I'm going yet or not :shrug:

the angel city outcasts are opening the show on the 20th. :drool:

review from one of the Japan shows

An evening in Shibuya to see The Pogues (reunited), in Japan for a series of concerts. The venue was quite small (maybe 2500 persons?) and we were pretty close to the stage. In front of us people were jumping in all directions all the time, but we could see fairly well. We sure could see that Shane McGowan smoke at least 10 cigarettes, and that he drunk at least five big glasses of what must have been whisky. But dirty old Shane seemed to be in a jolly good mood and in a "not so bad" shape. He was able to sing, which is not for granted, given that the man was practically dead a few years ago. He also muttered some sentences now and then, but it probably didn't make sense to anyone but Shane himself. Anyway, it was great.
I uploaded a short video that someone posted on Youtube after the concert. Sound and picture are not good but you can get an idea of the atmosphere in there.

here is a link with a shaky video from the show

http://grumpycandy.blogspot.com/2006/10/pogues-concert.html

Is anyone else seeing them this tour?

Maybe I'm overly excited. Another review from a Fillmore show this one answers the question about how shane is holding up. taken from here http://janesblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/london-earlier-this-year-other-pogues.html

London, earlier this year:Other Pogues: Shane, lad, wake up.
Shane MacGowan: Blargh.
Other Pogues: Shane, we're going on tour.
Shane: Bleh?
Other Pogues: We have to tour, Shane. You need a new liver. Frankly, you need the whole Keith Richards Package. That costs money.
Shane: *belch*
Other Pogues: We're doing this for you. We haven't toured in years, and when we did Australia you weren't even upright. We all have gotten on with our lives, but you did write most of our brilliant lyrics and we figure we owe you. In spite of embalming yourself you're still twitching 20 years later. So up with you, we're going on tour.
Other Other Pogues: Where should we tour?
Other Pogues: Let's go to San Francisco. It'll be foggy and he won't know the difference.
Other Other Pogues: How will we get him there? Have you smelled him? He's a volatile liquid.
Other Pogues: In cargo?

And so they came to San Francisco as part of a short west coast tour and played four sold-out nights at the Fillmore. We went last night. It was the full drunken Irish rocker experience.

First, the genius of seeing a band that hasn't toured or had a new album in years and is only playing about six dates is that they have nothing better to do than belt out song after song that you know by heart. To an outsider, Sarah for instance, they start to sound very similar after about the second one, but the rest of us gave cheers of recognition and bounced accordingly.

A barricade stood about three feet in front of the stage. Before the show we speculated whether it was to guard against possible moshing, but when the band staggered on it became clear that it was to protect the audience from Shane's likely plunge into the first row. While stage-diving performers sound fun, you get the feeling he'd leave a residue.

As slurred and inchoherent as many of their recorded albums are, the live performance is much more so. Shane was literally clinging to the mike stand early in the show, presumably because his blood was thickening up due to insufficient alcohol. As the evening wore on he kept returning to stage with more and more large tumblers of potent drinks and got marginally better. Through the first few songs, you could see the rest of the band eyeing each other, constantly trying to judge whether he was going to pass out on the spot, forget lyrics or just stop singing. He only did the latter two a few times and the band helped him as best they could, repeating a bridge or a few bars to give him a running start at making it all the way through. Each time he lurched offstage we wondered if he was done for the night. Some other Pogue would take lead vocals and the quality and tightness of the performance increased by several orders of magnitude, but it wasn't quite the same. Then they'd prop him up and push him back out and the crowd would cheer because for all his pickling, it's just not the Pogues unless he's screaming and slurring.

They played nonstop for 90 minutes, and left to thundering applause. An encore followed. More cheers. For the second encore, they returned to stage with a young woman who'd been waiting all night in the wings to sing Kirsty MacColl's part on "Fairytale of New York," which brought the house down. The song's long instrumental finish included a flurry of artificial snow and the poor girl half-dancing, half-propping Shane up on stage. It was sweet. We all swayed to the music because our shoes were stuck to the floor. The show ended with Fiesta and tin flute player Spider Stacey braining himself repeatedly with a pizza tin. It couldn't have been better.

So redkat, how was it? Need details, and to decide if I should go to Thursday's show... :hmm: :reject: (Not a fan really, but I know a couple of songs)

It was really something seeing Shane up close worth going for that alone. His voice is truly amazing despite it all seeing that man sing like that is a pleasure. The rest of the band put on an amazing show as well. They work their asses off. The accordion player :drool: wow!!

At the Grove you were able to move around freely and get right up to the stage no problem. I doubt you can move as much at the Wiltern but get as close as you can (though i'm sure you want to avoid moshing).

Fairytale of New York was a beautiful thing to see live :heart:

Great performers all of them. You won't get to see many shows like this in your life I wouldn't pass up the opportunity.
Don't leave before the second encore!

p.s
If you go and don't like it I don't want to hear it :angry:

^
yup...what she said :wink:

It was a totally amazing night, especially being so close to Shane for Fairytale of New York and then experiencing the insanity in the pit when they closed with Fiesta :ohmy:

As expected, Shane was completely unintelligable when he spoke but completely understandable when he sang...and it doesn't get any better than watching him balance a glass of gin on his head and try to dance. He lost a LOT of gin last night :lol:

I really don't know what made me happier, actually seeing the original Pogues myself or watching how out of his mind DMP was at seeing the original Pogues. He probably still has that silly grin on his face :D

I really feel like we saw something we'll never have the chance to see again.

Hubby is excited for tonight. He has tried not to read anything in this thread. But he did see 'Fairytale of New York' and shouted "YES!!". I don't know their song titles, but I just played the song, and I know it. And then he mentioned the girl who had sung it with him and she's no longer living :ohmy:

Bono's American Wife said:
^
yup...what she said :wink:

I really feel like we saw something we'll never have the chance to see again.

exactly :up:

Ricky was like a little boy once he saw Shane up close :cute:

Fun night really. Lila if you see a willie nelson type don't make eye contact :no:

and I believe it's one of the band members daughters that is doing the duet which was originally Kirsty Macoll. She did an exceptional job it was beautiful and the way Shane's face lights up when she calls him a scumbag :lol:

redkat said:

and I believe it's one of the band members daughters that is doing the duet which was originally Kirsty Macoll. She did an exceptional job it was beautiful and the way Shane's face lights up when she calls him a scumbag :lol:

It's Jem Finer's (the banjo player) daughter Ella. She was really beautiful :heart:

A review of the Anaheim show:

Wednesday, October 18, 2006
The Pogues: Ragged glory
Review: The esteemed but still punkish band make a hearty return after 13 years away.
By BEN WENER
The Orange County Register

Lest it still be uncleaar nearly a quarter-century since they began, let's restate their importance: The Pogues are the Beatles – or at least the Clash – of neo-traditional Irish music.

Their arrival on the British scene – catapulted to international notice via their first two albums, 1984's startling "Red Roses for Me" and 1985's brilliant "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash" – represents the great turning point. They wrenched Irish music away from decades of polite antiquity and pushed it toward a raffish, reeling fusion of that well-preserved past and a punkish present.

Everything that came before them, from the Clancy Brothers to the Chieftains to a score more who considered the Pogues' approach an ugly bastardization, seems musty compared with the passionate radicalization the band and its perpetually drunken poet laureate Shane MacGowan set forth. Everything that came after them, from peers like Sinead O'Connor and the Waterboys and partners like the late Kirsty MacColl to Americanized offshoots like Black 47, the Young Dubliners, Flogging Molly and the Fenians, all owe the Pogues an enormous debt.

At this point they're virtually mythologized, revered by purists and punks alike. So you can imagine why in Southern California, where for decades similar offshoots have darted up and disappeared faster than pints of Guinness at Muldoon's, the return of the real Pogues – replete with toothless, shambling MacGowan – is trumpeted with the sort of fanfare that might have greeted St. Patrick himself.

It's been 13 years since the originals have toured stateside, though there are two bits of fact-fudging in that statement. For starters, it isn't exactlythe original lineup; it's the one from 1987's "If I Should Fall From Grace With God."

Bassist Cait O'Riordan remains retired, still replaced by Darryl Hunt, who joined at roughly the same time guitarist Philip Chevron and multi-instrumentalist Terry Woods (late of Steeleye Span) did. MacGowan, who split in 1994 and formed the short-lived and nowhere near as accomplished Popes instead, now garbles his profound tales of death and glory alongside longtime mates Spider Stacy (tin whistle), James Fearnley (accordion), Jem Finer (banjo) and Andrew Ranken (drums).

For another thing, it's not much of a tour. Before Tuesday night's stop at a sadly not-full Grove of Anaheim, the band had played San Francisco and Las Vegas; after it, there's only a three-night stand at the Wiltern LG (continuing tonight and concluding Friday) before they head back to Britain, where they have embarked on reunion jaunts since 2001.

Of course, that makes these appearances – and this O.C. stop in particular – rare sights to be treasured. Which compels me to give the Pogues a pass, not taint memories.

The unavoidable reality is that there may never be another opportunity like this, and there probably shouldn't be. True, the band plays almost as potently as ever. The breathtaking, heart-racing pace of yore has been slowed by age (most of these guys are pushing 50 or past it), but their chops are resolutely sharp. And the infectious fun and melancholy of their songs – from wild reels like "Sally MacLennane" and "The Sickbed of Cuchulainn" and genre-blending bits like "Fiesta" and "Turkish Song of the Damned" to ballads like "Dirty Old Town" and "Rainy Night in Soho" – still resonate deeply.

But permanently pickled, chain-smoking MacGowan always looked as though someone just woke him. As a guy behind me muttered to his friend, "It's just sad." Amazingly, he was more decipherable here than when I saw him a decade ago with the Popes. But that doesn’t mean he suddenly achieved the relative clarity of those five Pogues albums (all of which have recently been reissued by Rhino Records).

Here and there I could make out a few lines of what he sang, but unless Stacy or Chevron – or more boisterous members of the crowd – chimed in, the lyrics were gibberish: "Flam flahrrr arrrgh und flarrrm!"

The Yuletide duet "Fairytale of New York," with (I think) Finer's daughter filling in for MacColl, was a delight, fake snow falling from the rafters as it faded away. MacGowan, who dawdled offstage for four numbers, mustered enough lucidity to make "A Pair of Brown Eyes" and "Boys From the County Hell" higlights. The rest tended to blur together.

And so what if it did? For many, MacGowan could have passed out after two tunes and this still would have been an occasion to celebrate at $60 a pop. I pity anyone dragged to this unknowingly; it must have been baffling. Surely they won't understand why for those who routinely hoisted pints in tribute this was a dream come true.

CONTACT US: 714-796-2248 or bwener@ocregister.com

Bono's American Wife said:

:lol: :yikes:

you poor thing :hug:

but...but... he's writing me a song :heart:

I like most of Ben Wener's reviews. I disagree that I understood shane quite well when he was singing. Though when talking I barely understood a word.

He's right on though that Shane could have done anything and we'd just have been happy to get the chance to see them all live.

Last edited:
They didn't come around these parts or I would have definitely gone.

Audible or not, any Pogues show is better than none at all (or any other shows I've been to recently!).

Back
Top Bottom