The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I just don't like it as a sing along. It's too sparse and you can hear that everyone is a little unsure about a few of the lyrics.

What they need is a video screen, a bouncing karaoke ball, and some convoluted, difficult to follow lyrics about macbook pros

I'd call it a memorable closer when they were touring its album. Three years ago.

The point isn't that Vanderlyle isn't good, it's that they can do much better. If they want to go with an old favorite, they have Mr November sitting right there, and if they want something new, they have a brand new album of songs to work with.

About Today closed when I saw them in 2007. That was a show opening for Arcade Fire, so I'm not sure if that was a regular occurrence or not at the time.

Before the Vanderlyle development later in the High Violet Tour, they switched between Terrible Love and About Today as closer, usually based on if they had enough time to play About Today after Terrible Love.

I think Vanderlyle works, but they already play too many songs from High Violet as it is. I wonder if Humiliation could work as a closer, with the freak out outro.

One setlist complait I have is the lack of All The Wine. It should be regularly in the set.

Edit: Lucky You would be a perfect closer indeed.

I like nearly every live addition they put in (Squalor Victoria, Slow Show, etc.) but I have not taken to the Humiliation outro.

The Barclays show was absolutely amazing from beginning to end. I had my reservations about how they'd do in such a large setting but it really worked well. All of the new songs sound great and fit right in with the older hits.

Joey (and others): the folks in the American Mary board posted a recording of the Barclays show, in case you're interested. It's taken from the Sirius broadcast, so the sound quality is pretty good. Check their Barclays thread and you'll find the link.

I would! PM me the link when you get chance? Thanks!

And thank you to gump for making us aware of this. That was a great show and getting proshot audio of the National is fantastic.

Thanks, PFan. The version I got somehow had the tracks separated already. Really enjoyed this recording.

I decided not to listen to the album until I get the vinyl. Want to have a meaningful listening experience when I get them, given the long wait.

We're now six albums in. What would be your ultimate National setlist? I'll throw this up with, let's say, a 28-song limit (my idea of a "final show" length set for someone who is not Bruce Springsteen):

1. Secret Meeting
2. Brainy
3. Bloodbuzz Ohio
4. Don't Swallow the Cap
5. Mistaken for Strangers
6. Sea of Love
7. This Is the Last Time
8. All the Wine
9. Cherry Tree
10. Slow Show
11. Squalor Victoria
12. Afraid of Everyone
13. Conversation 16
14. Apartment Story
15. England
16. Abel
17. Graceless
18. Fake Empire

19. Slipping Husband
20. Available/Cardinal Song
21. The Geese of Beverly Road
22. Tall Saint
23. Pink Rabbits
24. Lucky You

25. Humiliation
26. Mr. November
27. Terrible Love
28. About Today

28 songs is surprisingly restricting, had to edit a few songs out.

Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow
Sorrow