The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They'll probably play nothing but songs from the self-titled album when I see them.

Last night's show was phenomenal!

They played a free show downtown Toronto last night, down the street from my place so not only did I score front row-centre for the soundcheck and the concert, Matt also fell on me when jumping over the barricade into the crowd (I had no idea what he intended on doing, otherwise I would have helped him climb over instead of stupidly taking a shot of him falling on me. NSW, cool shot, eh?) .

My friend got the setlist for me which Matt also signed in his post-show drunken haze (he was drinking sauvignon blanc, not the red stuff so no danger of staining people's shirts this time).

How long does their show normally last? Last night's was 90 minutes and they played for two hours at Gump's show..

As for the album, I love it and my current faves are Sea of Love, Humiliation and This is the Last Time - not crazy about Hard to Find and My Girl.

Not really sure how a band can make such sad bastard music that somehow makes you feel good. Maybe it's the alcohol dulling the anxiety, but these five musicians really are geniuses, I feel.

And without B&C, I wouldn't even know they exist.

Love.

Saw Mistaken for Strangers at the SFF last night, great stuff. Performance footage was kept to a minimum (but with a cracking Terrible Love at the very end) and even without being a fan of the band I think it's pretty compelling. Fair play to the band for agreeing to be filmed when Tom admittedly had no idea what he was hoping to get out of it. Couldn't help but think of Abed's Jesus movie by the end.

Tom was on hand for a Q and A afterwards too, which was a nice surprise.

Man, they brought out Annie for "This is the Last Time" at Bonnaroo and I had to go to the medical tent due to all the fluid loss.

988492_10151444070191010_473159425_n.jpg

We'll probably lose again but I'll gorge on fried bullshit at the fair and see my favorite band. So everyone's a winner.

That Lolla stop just got more irritating. It may very well have screwed us out of a National/Tame Impala gig.

Great, great show yesterday. I had seats which was a bit of bummer at first but I was still pretty close to the stage and had an awesome time. Lots of songs from TWFM but I was expecting that and most of those songs are great live. The only song I didn't need to hear was Slipped. Matt's banter between songs is also entertaining. My favorite quote: This song is the same key as the last one to which one of the Dessner's replied: Which is completely irrelevant.

Mr. November blew me away. I love the song but it's just so much better live. And going into the crowd always works even though it's not surprising anymore.

Setlist
I Should Live In Salt
Don't Swallow the Cap
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Mistaken for Strangers
Sea of Love
Slipped
Afraid of Everyone
Conversation 16
Squalor Victoria
I Need My Girl
This is the Last Time
All the Wine
Abel
Pink Rabbits
Start a War
Graceless
About Today
Fake Empire

Humiliation
Sorrow
Mr. November
Terrible Love
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

The highlights were Squalor Victoria, Afraid of Everyone, About Today, Humiliation, Mr. November, Terrible Love and Vanderlyle. I loved how everyone was singing quietly along with that one and the singing got louder as the song progressed. Probably because people will hear you singing (badly) if you sing too loud. :lol:

Edit: I didn't know there was an opening act and all of a sudden Local Natives started playing which was really cool. Especially because I'm loving their new record.

Yes it was the most unexpected highlight as I'm not that big a fan of the song. The only complaint I have is that Sorrow shouldn't be in the encore (it doesn't even have to be in the setlist for me). It killed the mood a bit between the more rocking songs.

I hope they never drop Squalor Victoria. So good live. These setlists are ridiculous.

Every set list should include apartment story and doesn't, but otherwise, yeah they do look pretty great.

Guess I'm the only one who's disappointed they're closing every single show with acoustic Vanderlyle. Heard it live once already, thought they could do better at the time and with another album under their belt, I'm positive they could.

Yeah I agree to a point. They've done it before, and it doesn't quite have the extra special something to be made into a staple closer. but at the same time I did greatly enjoy it when I saw it done, and I'm still directing my bitterness more toward that pseudo hipster bullshit festival they did in Boston being their tour date around here or this tour.

Guess I'm the only one who's disappointed they're closing every single show with acoustic Vanderlyle. Heard it live once already, thought they could do better at the time and with another album under their belt, I'm positive they could.

Not a fan of that song either. It's kinda neat acoustically, but not a closer

The Bloodbuzz-Mistaken for Strangers-Sea of Love trio sounds all sorts of awesome.

Back
Top Bottom