The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So it looks like they are releasing two singles tomorrow and that a new album (!) might be on the way. That’s surprising.

Seeing them at MSG on Friday with Patti Smith opening. Should be fun.

People seem certain an album is coming, but no one will say on what basis. It could just as easily be the two songs as a mid-tour gift of sorts? Given how much they talked about the difficulties of working songs out for Frankenstein, an entire new album would definitely be a surprise.

From what I understand - and I haven't dug too deep - there are a number of interviews with band members about how they've been recording material for their next album.

From Reddit (god help me): someone claiming to be a music journalist on a rando forum leaked the release date and track list.

Alphabet City and Space Invader are both out. Not huge on either, both feel like things we've heard The National do before, but I think they'll grow on me and are probably better than some Frankenstein tracks. I like the way both songs end.

I feel like they are gradually reverting to the debut, which was full of pretty but totally aimless songs. In this era that kicked off with Weird Goodbyes, I just don't feel the ramshackle energy that was all over Alligator, Boxer etc.

Aaron said in an interview recently something to the effect that though the recording sessions started out slow and difficult, once they had a breakthrough the songs came pouring out, and that he felt like they had enough songs for a Kid A/Amnesiac situation. I have heard 7 or 8 new songs on this tour.

The Frankenstein songs are a million times better live, as everything is with them. They're richer and wilder and more beautiful. I love everything about this tour. Matt and the band are in excellent form, in every way. Wish I could be at MSG tonight.

Joyful, I have an extra ticket that I won't use as my friend didn't manage to travel. You are welcome to come.

I'm still a bit sour at the fanclub presale for MSG, which was a mess and didn't allow me to get GA, but I am now super excited about tonight. It should be a good homecoming show. My first time at MSG, when I didn't live in NYC, was to see them (and Modest Mouse) open for REM in 2008, and I still can't believe they are headlining MSG with Patti Smith as an opener (the Barclays show a few years ago was a different beast).

Space Invader is absolutely great, I might like it more than anything in the album (though First Two Pages has grown on me lately).

I also wonder whether Taylor Swift might be joining them for a tour debut of The Alcott (it looks like she's in town).

Last edited:
Joyful, I have an extra ticket that I won't use as my friend didn't manage to travel. You are welcome to come.

I'm still a bit sour at the fanclub presale for MSG, which was a mess and didn't allow me to get GA, but I am now super excited about tonight. It should be a good homecoming show. My first time at MSG, when I didn't live in NYC, was to see them (and Modest Mouse) open for REM in 2008, and I still can't believe they are headlining MSG with Patti Smith as an opener (the Barclays show a few years ago was a different beast).

Space Invader is absolutely great, I might like it more than anything in the album (though First Two Pages has grown on me lately).

I also wonder whether Taylor Swift might be joining them for a tour debut of The Alcott (it looks like she's in town).

What a lovely offer but I am in NM. I looked into tickets and flights as late as yesterday and, while it is doable, I decided I might go to their Homecoming weekend instead, so it just was getting crazy expensive. The two Denver shows were the only time I've been in the pit for them because I honestly hate the ordeal of it and stopped doing GA years ago, but it was a game-changer for this band. Just fantastic even though I almost died.

I think everyone is wondering about Taylor showing up at MSG. I'd hate to see them upstaged at their first MSG gig by her appearance but I was more wondering about all their other friends showing up ... Sufjan, Bon Iver, Phoebe, etc., maybe a string section. I just thought it might be a bigger show, but alas, I will have to settle for audience clips. The setlists have been incredible. I mean, Cherry Tree in Denver was stunning. I imagine I will regret not going to MSG but I have been very lucky with the shows I've seen so far so can't complain. Can't wait for your report!

What a lovely offer but I am in NM. I looked into tickets and flights as late as yesterday and, while it is doable, I decided I might go to their Homecoming weekend instead, so it just was getting crazy expensive. The two Denver shows were the only time I've been in the pit for them because I honestly hate the ordeal of it and stopped doing GA years ago, but it was a game-changer for this band. Just fantastic even though I almost died.

I think everyone is wondering about Taylor showing up at MSG. I'd hate to see them upstaged at their first MSG gig by her appearance but I was more wondering about all their other friends showing up ... Sufjan, Bon Iver, Phoebe, etc., maybe a string section. I just thought it might be a bigger show, but alas, I will have to settle for audience clips. The setlists have been incredible. I mean, Cherry Tree in Denver was stunning. I imagine I will regret not going to MSG but I have been very lucky with the shows I've seen so far so can't complain. Can't wait for your report!

I figured it was worth the offer, but thought in the back of my mind that you weren't close to NYC.

Homecoming will be amazing. I'd have tried to go to that if we didn't have a baby at home. Not sure if you've attended one of their past mini festivals, but it's a totally different energy. Their "There's No Leaving New York" shows 5-6 years ago were two of the best National shows I've seen.

I hear you on Taylor. I personally don't listen to her music a lot, so it doesn't matter much to me if she shows up. I'd love to see Sufjan or Annie Clark (though I think she no longer lives in NYC). But ultimately I agree they should keep the focus on themselves.

The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

Space Invader is fantastic. Smoke Detector too.

Album out tomorrow. I think I might light it more than First Two Pages based on the 3-4 songs I’ve heard.

Last edited:
I was at Homecoming, and the sorta botched announcement about the record drop (which you can see on IG) was hilarious. I'm still not sure if it's tonight or tomorrow night. Matt and Aaron indicated last night that they aren't really sure either. A few hundred lucky people were able to buy signed copies—just the vinyl in a blank sleeve, no tracklist or anything.

Having heard a number of these songs live, I think it's going to be great but it's also hard for me to absorb a new National song live.

How was MSG, gump? I saw a great quality video of the whole show on YouTube and I thought they were amazing (audio with headphones almost made me feel like I was there), but it was just a close up of the band from a side angle so I didn't get a sense of the audience vibe.

Omg they're touring in March with Fleet Foxes :love: the first time I'll be seeing them following my break-up with someone I shared a deep love of The National with :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

I was at Homecoming, and the sorta botched announcement about the record drop (which you can see on IG) was hilarious. I'm still not sure if it's tonight or tomorrow night. Matt and Aaron indicated last night that they aren't really sure either. A few hundred lucky people were able to buy signed copies—just the vinyl in a blank sleeve, no tracklist or anything.

Having heard a number of these songs live, I think it's going to be great but it's also hard for me to absorb a new National song live.

How was MSG, gump? I saw a great quality video of the whole show on YouTube and I thought they were amazing (audio with headphones almost made me feel like I was there), but it was just a close up of the band from a side angle so I didn't get a sense of the audience vibe.

Homecoming sounds like it was great. Loved the setlists, and the line ups were amazing. I missed Pavement here on Thursday night and already regret it (though I saw them last year). Hope you had a blast.

MSG was really great, even if it's not my favorite venue for shows. In the end, I'm glad they didn't have any special guests. Their setlists this tour have been some of my favorite, and it was amazing to hear Cherry Tree. I ended up taking a friend who likes The National quite a bit but had never seen them live, and he was mesmerized. Matt has been in good form (it looks like he's not drinking as much during the shows?). Vanderlyle was pretty special.

Someone needs to go to their studio and physically remove the drum machines.

I thought they were much more restrained about the drum machine in Laugh Track compared to First Two Pages (and with the piano as well). I suppose some of the early singles relied heavily on it, but it's less so over the course of the album. I do love Smoke Detector.

It pains me to say this, but I think it might be time for them to hang it up. Frankenstein and this new one are both colossal duds in my opinion; the only track on either of them that even registers a pulse is Smoke Detector.

It's frustrating in that I don't think I've ever seen a band so resolutely play against their strengths over a prolonged period of time; you have an all-time drummer and a pair of guitarists with a penchant for hooks, and instead you insist on a constant flood of puttering synth lines and casio-quality drum machine beats. And about lyrics - the Pitchfork review hit the nail on the head when it asked how many more National songs we need about being awkward at parties.

Honest question - will anyone ever reach for either of these records when you have the likes of Alligator and Boxer next to them on the shelf? I sure as hell won't.

I enjoyed my first listen. A few of the standouts for me were Deep End, Hornets, Crumble, and Smoke Detector. Looking forward to more listens!!!

I enjoyed my first listen. A few of the standouts for me were Deep End, Hornets, Crumble, and Smoke Detector. Looking forward to more listens!!!

I'm really liking Laugh Track too. I think it's a big improvement over First Two Pages or I Am Easy To Find. It feels looser than anything they've done in quite a long time, especially Smoke Detector.

Besides the songs above, I'd add Space Invader as a standout track. And the title track is only actually good use of Phoebe Bridgers out of the last two records. Ultimately, I wouldn't put Laugh Track above their run from Alligator to Sleep Well Beast. But that's going to be hard for any band to top. It's still a great entry in their discography though.

I think Laugh Track is better than Two Pages, but I don't like either anywhere near as much as I Am Easy to Find, of which it appears I am one of the few fans. Smoke Detector is the best song they've released in years, so good to hear something with a pulse. There's a handful of other good tracks on Laugh Track also, and I still like Weird Goodbyes.

Coat on a Hook is up there with their with their worst songs. You could have generated that by typing "make a song by The National" into ChatGPT.

Really excited to see them live next year, they've always been exceptional live and all your reviews have me real pumped.

Laugh Track is better than Two Pages, but I don't see myself coming back to it a lot. I do enjoy Deep End and Space Invader more than anything off the previous album.

I just wish they followed the Sleep Well Beast (title track I mean) route. That seemed to be an interesting change of sound they could have explored more. There are hints of it in Smoke Detector, so no wonder that is the most interesting track on the record.

On the other hand, it seems that they are hitting their stride live. They're playing long shows, and the two nights in London had no repeats. Pulling a Pearl Jam I see.

Back
Top Bottom