The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She does that a lot. She has credits on a few songs from Boxer (Brainy, Ada, Gospel) and High Violet (Little Faith, Conversation 16, Vanderlyle), and all the Trouble Will Find Me lyrics are "By Matt Berninger with Carin Besser."

This song is SO GOOD. I'm beyond excited for the album.

TWFM and HV were remarkably good albums, and I wouldn't have minded another like them, but the new sound is certainly exciting in a way.

Their presale worked flawlessly for the tour. I love their method: texting you a pre-sale code, which makes it harder for scalpers to get in. Got GA for their 6 October show in Queens. Can't wait.

Out of habit I took note of the Boston date, and then remembered I live in Denver now. No National for me :(

Yay, got a ticket in the local theater group presale. Will see their second Seattle show in November.

Wow. Tickets in Seattle were a flat 50 across the board (all GA, floor + balconies), came to about 69 after fees.

#FuckTicketmaster

$70 apiece for San Diego and somehow managed to pull front row aisle seats in the first section just left of the stage. So, perfect, basically.

This was through the Ticketmaster Verified Fan pre-sale.

It's SO nice to hear a guitar solo. Also, really looking forward to the live version of the track, Matt's definitely gonna be screaming the "I can't explain it / I can't explain it / any other / any other way" parts.

Would one of you slappies be willing to post the playlist they just posted to Spotify? It's songs that they were listening to while recording the new album.
"The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness" - The National
"The Homeless Wanderer" - Emahoy Tsegue-Maryam Guebrou
"Airsick" - Laurel Halo
"Biloxi" - Hiss Golden Messenger
"Fertilized" - Mouse on Mars, Cavern of Anti-Matter
"First We Take Manhattan" - Leonard Cohen
"Lime Habit" - POLICA
"La Poule [Remix]" - Hauschka
"Francis Foever" - Mitski
"That's the Way the World Goes Round" - John Prine
"Nizzagh Ijbal" - Tinariwen
"John Hardy Was a Desperate Little Man" - The Carter Family
"Muudo Hormo" - Baaba Maal, Mansour Seck
"Bashed Out" - This Is the Kit
"I Have Been to the Mountain" - Kevin Morby
"Gold Soundz" - Pavement
"Sinnerman" - Nina Simone
"Lichter" - Mouse on Mars
"Lust for Life" - Iggy Pop
"Houdini Crush" - Buke & Gase
"Medulla Oblongata" - Buke & Gase
"Terrapin Station (Suite)" - Daniel Rossen, Christopher Bear
"Section 5" - Bryce Dessner, So Percussion
"Boots of Spanish Leather" - Bob Dylan

The National were listening to "The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness" by The National while recording their new album?

Man it was silly to sleep on Sad Songs for so long. Great album. Why don't they play Murder Me Rachel live anymore. That song fucking cooks.

There's also a moment in The National's career when Matt's voice changes. On Sad Songs and Alligator it's got this really cool sort of frailty to it... I'm not well versed in musical terminology but he just sounds a bit younger (duh), it sounds a little more weak, like it really befits the music and the smaller profile of the band. It sounds warm and inviting, like it's recorded really close to the mic so you can hear all the little imperfections. I'm not really sure how to describe it well, does anyone know what I'm talking about? By Boxer his voice is more polished. I think there's no doubt his voice is stronger now, but I'm glad that we have documents of his earlier vocals.

Back
Top Bottom