The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine then, I guess you're still a "real fan".

Then again, anyone who has actually seen them live automatically beats me in that regard. Not a single show here in 5 years. :down:

Oh, indeed.

Their theater show I saw last year was great, but I'm a bigger fan now, and yesterday was just sublime. Mr. November, again, brings a crowd to a frenzy as fast as any live song I can think of. They had us eating out of their fucking hands. And Terrible Love is a really good pick for a closer, I think.

Best moment of the set for me? Apartment Story. it has become my favorite NASH! song, and when Matt started singing "Be still for a second while I try and try to pin your flowers on..." I got big time chills, man. Chills. And proceeded to sing my throat off.

Just the fact that LeMel and I WERE standing right where Matt spent most of Abel? (was that the other one he jumped into the crowd for?) kind of made me a tad bitter :lol:. We moved back to the soundboard because we were scared the crowd was going to get as bad as Mumford and Sons, plus we would've been right in front of a speaker.

And GAF, since you were there, could you possibly tell me what the fuck Matt was standing on during Mr. November? Or can he walk on the tops of bushes like it's nothing?

Slow Show is one of my favorite songs by them, so I was QUITE happy with hearing it live, but just overall it was all so wonderful. I REALLY want to see them on their own, though, badly. There was no way I could go Saturday night, and that was depressing.

Fine then, I guess you're still a "real fan".

Suppose so. It still absolutely shocks me that I was able to find that Cherry Tree brand new in a lightly frequented record store two years ago. It was only in the past few months that it dawn on me how rare it is. For that reason, it's one of the jewels of my collection along with my 1966 Capitol Revolver and nudie cover Electric Ladyland.

Ok, I wanted to make sure this happened first, but, hands down my favorite part of the National's set was when Matt changed the lyrics of Mr. November to, "I won't MESS us over", because he was singing to a little girl. That's kind of too adorable. As if the girl couldn't hear him switch right back to fuck once he moved away from her.

It happens around 1:20 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28DMYdfdDwM

First, a Google commercial. Then, changing lyrics to save the young minds of America. Next stop: a VW (or insert other equally as offensive company here) spot.

They opened with Runaway. A song from an album that came out MONTHS AGO. I'm selling my tickets.

Just the fact that LeMel and I WERE standing right where Matt spent most of Abel? (was that the other one he jumped into the crowd for?) kind of made me a tad bitter :lol:. We moved back to the soundboard because we were scared the crowd was going to get as bad as Mumford and Sons, plus we would've been right in front of a speaker.

And GAF, since you were there, could you possibly tell me what the fuck Matt was standing on during Mr. November? Or can he walk on the tops of bushes like it's nothing?

Yeah, immediately after Abel started up he dropped off the stage and went into the crowd.

Haha, I don't know. There had to have been a platform behind the bushes? Or he has learned to walk on bushes. He's always been a delicate man.

well it looks like these Brooklyn Buffs are playing some festivals here at the end of the year. if i can get some more people interested i'll be going for sure... but if they play sideshows i will do my very best to get to at least one.

well it looks like these Brooklyn Buffs are playing some festivals here at the end of the year. if i can get some more people interested i'll be going for sure... but if they play sideshows i will do my very best to get to at least one.

So if no one else is interested you're not going to go?

If this is the case, I never understood that logic. Why would you deprive yourself of a good experience and good music because no one else is interested in going?

I, personally, would go regardless of what other people might do because they're an incredible live band, in my revered opinion.

well i have always felt weird going to shows by myself. i don't enjoy it as much. but i see where you're coming from, it sounds illogical. i don't know any other National fans so i might have to go by myself.

but in this case i was referring to the festival. surely you can't go to a festival by yourself, unless you live next door or something.

well i have always felt weird going to shows by myself. i don't enjoy it as much. but i see where you're coming from, it sounds illogical. i don't know any other National fans so i might have to go by myself.

but in this case i was referring to the festival. surely you can't go to a festival by yourself, unless you live next door or something.

Everyone is different, but in my case I don't mind going to a show by myself, particularly since many of my friends have deplorable music taste and don't like the same bands I do. I look at it this way: during the two hours or however long the set is, you're not talking to anyone else, but rather you're watching and listening to the band. So it's like you're alone anyway. The only difference is that you don't get to discuss the show with your friends afterward, but that's only a minor detail, in my opinion.

I also like to go to shows of bands I've never heard of, just so I can discover new music. And that is why I had no issues going to a festival by myself on July 31, where I saw The National and Arcade Fire, among others.

But, again, everyone is different. Don't mind me, but this is one thing that really annoys me.

it probably has a bit to do with age as well? i just turned 20, so i think i am a bit younger than most of you. when i'm older, less self-conscious and don't care it probably won't be a problem.

mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright

I've gone to tons more concerts with people than alone, but I've been to my fair share on my own....be it a single act or a festival. Doesn't really faze me to go alone. I know plenty of people that refuse to do things on their own, though...so I cannot really relate to that, but I do get that it's not some limited phenomenon.

ETA - Age has nothing to do with it in my case. I didn't one day turn a certain age and all of a sudden embrace doing things on my own. But, maybe for some, it's part of a process and age is indeed a factor.

It can be a pain the ass to go to shows solo sometimes (the waiting before and in between bands thing is somewhat grueling), but at the same time shows can be faaaaar more enjoyable when you can just focus on the music and not feel like you have to entertain someone else and what not. Some of the best shows I've ever been to have been attended solo. Conversely, some of the most boring times of my life have been standing around solo in a club waiting for the show to start. Regardless, the good far outweighs the bad in my reverent opinion.

When I've gone to festivals alone, and have had dead time between acts and whatnot, I usually have brought a book. I find a nice spot and read, and wait for the next act I'm interested in. If I'm seeing one band, with an opening act, I'll just listen to my Ipod between the opening band and the headliner.

You're right, there's no guarantee that if you go by yourself that it'll be a great experience, but to me it's better than not going at all.

Festivals I would never go to alone, but I've been to many other a gig by myself. It's not as fun for me, but still a significantly great time.

Danny, FUCKING GO!

I'm 20 too, and I go to concerts solo constantly. It doesn't matter if they're festivals or just shows. Pitchfork in Chicago? Went solo. And, I ended up chatting with people between sets, which is always fun. Or, you can bring a book, like The Fool said before. Flaming Lips in Milwaukee AND Oklahoma City? Traveled and went to the show(s) alone.

In fact, I've been to more concerts alone than with people, especially when I travel outside of Minneapolis, simply because I'm not willing to deprive myself of an awesome experience due to my lack of friends with similar musical tastes.

If there's any band you will abso-fucking-lutely regret seeing live, it's The National. I'm not kidding around here, Danny, go. No excuses.

Sorry, I don't self-edit, like Matt Berninger. We can't all have the golden hearts of ruffians like he does. :wink:

it probably has a bit to do with age as well? i just turned 20, so i think i am a bit younger than most of you. when i'm older, less self-conscious and don't care it probably won't be a problem.

mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright
mymindsnotright

I've been going to shows alone since I was right about your age since I rarely knew anyone who liked the same groups. I can only remember a handful of times in my life that I went to shows with anyone else. It was weird at first, but after a few times I found I actually preferred going alone. Much easier than having to deal with what another person wants too. And if you meet a cute girl at a show you don't have to ditch the friend.... :wink:

So GO!!! This is a great band, with a great live show. You won't regret it.

Plus, you never know if you'll have a chance to see that band again. One of my all time favorite shows was finally getting to see Idlewild for the first time. They're no longer on a major label in the UK, and there is an unbelievably slim chance that I'll ever get to see them again. Had I not gone to that solo, I would have never been able to see one of my all time favorite bands, and also wouldn't have one of my all time most memorable concert experiences.

I started flying solo to shows after hearing Cassie's testaments*, and I'm still thankful for that. Certainly paid dividends at the Dead Weather show this spring, for instance. It doesn't bother me at all anymore. But festivals? Even when I go with pals, I still end up spending ample time alone. Always have since I started hitting them up five years ago. Festivals are tailor made for breaking off from your group to see what you want to see. Do it, man. Do it.

*the fact that she did the Lips in OKC solo and had an amazing time despite Oklahoma being an absolute wasteland is really all you need to know.

ok ok i am sold. geez i create some bloody good discussions around here don't i? :D

this
And if you meet a cute girl at a show you don't have to ditch the friend.... :wink:
is a beautiful point. when i went to a small acoustic gig for my favourite "singer-songwriter" Paul Dempsey last year, a cute girl and i were doing the eyes the whole show. i went and spoke to her afterwards. but because i went with two other people, i couldn't hang around. i would have offered to buy her a drink and then see how things went, but i didn't have time, so i had to be seedy and i just asked for her number after like 30 seconds. she laughed and said no.

incidentally, i am going to see him again in October, good chance she might be there... but i bought two tickets for the show. wish we'd had this discussion five days ago! :lol:

So GO!!! This is a great band, with a great live show. You won't regret it.

i will according to Cassie...

I started flying solo to shows after hearing Cassie's testaments*, and I'm still thankful for that. Certainly paid dividends at the Dead Weather show this spring, for instance. It doesn't bother me at all anymore. But festivals? Even when I go with pals, I still end up spending ample time alone. Always have since I started hitting them up five years ago. Festivals are tailor made for breaking off from your group to see what you want to see. Do it, man. Do it.

*the fact that she did the Lips in OKC solo and had an amazing time despite Oklahoma being an absolute wasteland is really all you need to know.

i will according to Cassie...

:lol:

I'm glad I've influenced you guys to try solo concerts.

The OKC show really was incredible and one of my most memorable experiences, and everyone I met from Oklahoma was great to me as well. As a caveat though, when I do travel to shows alone, I usually do a whirlwind type thing—taking overnight buses, sleeping in airports (yes, I did that in OKC), etc.

Fuck you, The National, and all other bands who tell us they're going on tour a day before tickets go on sale. How am I supposed to plan for these things/!?!?!

Hello -

We have two quick show announcements for you today. First, on September 26 we'll be at Chicago's Riviera Theater. Tickets for this show go on-sale August 14th at 10 am Central time. You can find a link to purchase tickets from The National : Tour.

Secondly, we're happy to announce that we'll finally be returning to Australia in late December and early January for The Falls Festival, Southbound and Sunset Sounds. Here is ticketing information for all three festivals:

Falls festivals, Victoria and Tasmania
Pre-sale registration via The Falls Music & Arts Festival | Tickets
Please note: the ticket ballot closes on August 18.
General public tickets on sale 9 Sept.

Southbound, Western Australia
presale registration via Southbound Festival 2011
General public tickets on sale 9 Sept via Moshtix.

Sunset Sounds, Queensland
Ticket outlet info from Sunsetsounds - Home
General public tickets on sale 9 Sept.

Finally, we'd like you to know that we're concerned about the discriminatory legislation that has been passed into law in Arizona. We don't feel it's right to boycott playing in AZ as our fans had no say in passing SB 1070, but we do intend to donate a share of proceeds from the October Tucson and Tempe shows to Latino Justice PRLDEF in support of their civil rights work. You can learn more about this organization at LatinoJustice.

Hope to see you soon!

I kind of wish I had gone to The National show alone, because I would have gone real early to get a great spot. Unfortunately, I could not because at the time my car was not around, so I had to offer a second ticket to a friend, who did in fact enjoy it and appreciate it. So, I guess it worked out anyway. Converted fans and such.

I played a little acoustic set down the shore, composed mostly of National covers.

1. Ball & Biscuit
2. Apartment Story
3. The Geese of Beverly Road
4. Brainy
5. Slow Show
6. Terrible Love
7. Afraid of Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom