The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to make a "Billy Crystal was in Schindler's List?" joke, but I'm more taken aback at the thought of LM getting tanked on THE ZIN!

I hate PA, simply for the fact that whenever I read about anyone buying alcohol in a normal store, it takes me five seconds to get over the confusion and remind myself, "Oh yeah, in other states they do that sort of thing."

Also, LM, that's not even how you spell his name, COME ON!

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, really, putting alcohol and cough medicine in the same store. Lil Wayne probably finds it convenient.

Beer and wine are sold just about anywhere, but you can only get liquor here at liquor stores. It's a pain, and yet another reason why New Orleans is so bad ass.

Or Jamarcus Russell.

But like supermarkets, too. That's completely foreign to me.

Or, soon enough, Jason Campbell. That poor son of a bitch.

Supermarkets are logical enough, especially since the kind of shitty wine they sell in there usually comes with a menu on the back to make sure it goes down as smoothly as possible. Good Wine (est. 2004) brand Merlot goes great with Beefaroni, I've found.

I can't help but think Matt would be thrilled that we're talking more about wine than The National in this thread.

Beer and wine are sold just about anywhere, but you can only get liquor here at liquor stores. It's a pain, and yet another reason why New Orleans is so bad ass.
We're a little freer with beer: designated beer distributors for cases and kegs, and six packs at restaurants/bars. That's it.

With wine and liquor, you can literally only purchase them at the State Store (or Wine & Spirits as they call it now). The state has a complete and total monopoly over their sale.

At the local CVS you can get Wine, Cough medicine AND Hard liquor. Score one for Indiana.

I don't drink wine hardly ever since I'm underage and we basically are restricted to cheap vodka and beer, but once I turn 21 I intend to fully explore the wine world.

Exactly 18 months to go.

Wisconsin: any and all liquor you want is in supermarkets, gas stations, etc.
Minnesota: only beer in supermarkets, liquor in liquor stores, and no alcohol sales (excluding 3.2, but really, that shit doesn't count...) on Sundays.

I miss living in Wisconsin sometimes.

Minnesota has way more lax marijuana laws though...as in decriminalization. So, it works out. :shh:

OH! and in National-related news: I sold my ticket to Friday night's show in August. Still going to Thursday's though.

Last edited:
In other National news, Scott has created a drink called the "Bloodbuzz Ohio:"

It's one part 7-Up, two parts red wine, with a splash of Coke, on the rocks. Who wants to test this out first?

Some cool info on the Brassland represses:

SAD SONGS FOR DIRTY LOVERS
1st Press / 1000 sleeves & posters made, 500 packaged with black vinyl LPs (2003)
2nd Press / 500 of the old posters & sleeves found in a warehouse & packaged with newly pressed black vinyl (2010)
3rd Press / 3000 sleeves made, 500 packaged with white vinyl & another 2000-2500 packaged with black vinyl. The poster is new -- part of a three piece triptych that you will only be able to complete by getting re-presses of all three of these new Brassland editions (2010).

CHERRY TREE
1st Press / 1000 copies pressed on 10" red vinyl by Shake It Records in Cincinnati, OH. Slightly different looking sleeves than the CD edition (2004ish)
2nd Press / 3000 posters printed by Brassland. We're not 100% sure how these will be packaged yet -- though we have big ideas...

SELF-TITLED
1st Press / 3000 sleeves made, 500 packaged on blue vinyl, 2000-2500 packaged with black vinyl. These will hopefully arrive at our office any day now.

On July 20th, the black vinyl editions of the new records are supposed to be available via our distributor and all the usual suspects (Insound.com, I think I've seen them at Amazon.com). The colored vinyl editions -- at least at first -- will only be available via our online store (http://store.brassland.org) & some shops we have relationships with. (Probably Other Music, maybe Shake It in Cincinnati.)

RE: the posters // We're also hoping to sell them via the website in case you already own some of the older editions of these records. We don't want people to have to buy multiple copies of the same record -- though I know some folks will inevitably treat these re-presses as collectibles, we're going to try to keep these records in print as long as there is demand.

Don't think I'll be getting Sad Songs since I just got that 500 pressing from earlier in the year. Same goes for Cherry Tree, which I've already got in that original pressing. But I dig go ahead and snap up the blue s/t for $18 and free shipping. There are only about 170 left, so get yr order in.

1B1L, if you're looking to get your grubby mitts on one of these blue s/t LPs, there are 163 left. Just a heads up.

1B1L, if you're looking to get your grubby mitts on one of these blue s/t LPs, there are 163 left. Just a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up. I am mad poor at the moment, so I'm going to have to pass on it. They're not repressing the Cherry Tree EP on vinyl, then? Just the posters, right?

It'll be out later this year including the poster. September or so. Not a lot of details on that yet, but Alec from Brassland said they're planning some "extra special" things for that one. We'll see if it merits a double purchase, although I'm more than pleased having a more rare copy than a more "extra special" one.

I hear you on the $$$ front, but I just got a $125 check from doing market research and figured it was a nice way to treat myself. I can't even go out to record stores at this point because I know I'll spend way too much money. It's an addiction.

Speak of the devil, I just got an email from Brassland saying it shipped.

It'll be out later this year including the poster. September or so. Not a lot of details on that yet, but Alec from Brassland said they're planning some "extra special" things for that one. We'll see if it merits a double purchase, although I'm more than pleased having a more rare copy than a more "extra special" one.

I hear you on the $$$ front, but I just got a $125 check from doing market research and figured it was a nice way to treat myself. I can't even go out to record stores at this point because I know I'll spend way too much money. It's an addiction.

Speak of the devil, I just got an email from Brassland saying it shipped.

Oh, good. I was hoping they'd be repressing that one too. And, as I'm not lucky enough to have one of the original pressings, I'll be snapping it up in a second.

God, I know. I haven't been to a record shop in months. Last time I went was for Record Store Day, I think, and I dropped like $80.

I don't buy records because my hearing isn't good enough to discern the differences in quality and they're more expensive, but I have (finally) begun buying albums on CD. The new (finally) music store in State College certainly helps. While up there for Arts Fest, I bought a few National and Radiohead albums.

You'll move to vinyl. Mark my werds.

This

Apart from the sound, I much prefer vinyl for the artwork. Its nice and big. So much more collectible than the crappy little CD books they put in the jewel cases. I haven't bought a CD for years, but I was growing tired of having a virtual music collection. I keep the cost down by only buying my very favourite albums; No filler

Likewise. Sound is definitely a selling point, but I find the artwork and packaging so much more immersive, even to the point where it shapes the experience of hearing the album. Placing the big ole record on the turntable and dropping the needle is more personal and intimate.

That may have got a little sexual there.

I keep refusing to buy a record player, as I already am too much of a collector with just CDs. I get sick to my stomach even imagining how many vinyl albums I'd have to buy of things I already have the CD of, let alone new things / collectors pressings, etc. To some extent, I have a hard time believing the recent vinyl resurgence isn't going to end up being a fad, though I could end up completely wrong about that. I'm a bit of an audiophile, and I've never been overly wow-ed by any of my friend's records sound wise in comparison to CD, and a few have relatively expensive systems. People seem to buy expensive things and not know how to actual calibrate them or set up up decently though (80% of HD tvs I see are still on their factory settings), so I'm never sure if it's the sound or their inability to properly set things up I'm not overly impressed with. Regardless, it's cool people are actually paying for music in some way.

I never realized you weren't a vinyl listener. Interesting.

I want that copy of the S/T, I'm a pretty big fan of that album, actually, but I am in the same $$$ camp as the rest of ya.

Tomorrow I'll be buying my ticket for my third jaunt with THE NASH! on October 8 in Dallas, fortunately a bye week for Texas football.

Couple that with potentially seeing their ACL taping the following Monday and I'll be happier than a pig in heat slop.

Awesome, so they're making nearly 50% on "convenience fees". I wish bands would stop using shitty companies like that to sell tickets. I'd rather buy directly from artist and just give them more money for the ticket than pay some asshole site who's still surviving off of a seedy business model from eons ago. There's no longer any "convenience" about being able to buy tickets online, it's the damn norm. How the hell do these big dinosaur ticket companies still exist, and why do artists keep supporting them?

Couldn't tell you. I'm just fortunate that the only reason I'm having to deal with LiveNation is because this show is in a different city. That don't fly round these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom