The Misfits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UberBeaver

Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
I never listened to these dudes and always threw them into the Black Flag hardcore camp (which I hated). But recently I checked out a few tunes, and they totally kick ass. They have like a 50s meets punk/hardcore sound, and it rocks. Same genre as the Ramones, I guess, but different.

Anyone listen to the Misfits, or any Hardcore? I'm not a huge fan, but I like some Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Dag Nasty, Avail, Murphy's Law. I used to be a big fan of Bad Religion and Big Drill Car.

Well, there's obviously not a trace of hardcore in The Misfits, but whatever. "Hybrid Moments" remains one of the best songs in the history of recorded music, and that's that.

Yeah, I know they're not hardcore, but for some reason they do get lumped in with Hardcore bands a lot. Maybe cause they played in the same venues back inthe late 70s/early 80s. And some of their members played in the HC bands too. But whatever genre they fall into, they're awesome, and I'm pissed i never gave them a chance until recently. I phail.

i had never listened to the misfits until one of their tracks popped up on a friend's pandora playlist this past fall. i dug the tune and bought collection a couple of weeks later. i love it. i'm going to pick up collection II in the next month or so.

highlights: where eagles dare, i turned into a martian, astro zombies (every song on the damn album is great)

despite the terrible, TERRIBLE production value, there are excellent melodies all over this album. ub's description of the music as "50s + punk" is exactly what i thought when i first gave the band a serious listen.

good stuff.

They blow The Ramones out of the fucking water. Like, no contest.

Legacy of Brutality FTW.

She, Angelfuck, Where Eagles Dare, the aforementioned Hybrid Moments, Some Kinda Hate, Who Killed Marilyn...

Amazing.

MisfitsLegacyofBrutalityCD.jpg

I have been listening to this band constantly, for the past few months. Fucking unreal. One of the best ever, easily. Anybody read these? They're both great. The Bonnie "Prince" Billy piece is especially beautiful, honest, and tender. One of the best portraits of fandom I've ever seen. Very moving:

Stuck in Lodi | Pitchfork

Oh, and while Laz is correct to suggest many of the classic songs on Legacy of Brutality, he fails to note that the mastering on the record is appalling. If you want those songs, then pick up one of the greatest box sets ever--The Coffin. There, you can get both the Legacy mixes and the "real" ones, from the never-released Static Age record (the band's best).

Shit is unbelievable. Seriously, one of the best sets available. Beautiful packaging, terrific notations and records, and, of course, the songs. Good God, the songs...! Shit's right up there with Peel Slowly and See. Magnificent.

Ha!! Back in the day I had a sweet Schott Motocycle leather jacket, that I stole from a party---and I painted it up with the Misfits logo. Sorry if I stole your jacket. But it was a punk rock thing to do.:reject:

Where Eagles Dare IS a great song.

One of my friends is going to NYC for their show on Halloween night. If she takes a bunch of cool pictures, which she probably will, I'll try to remember to post them in here if anyone's interested.

that is awesome.

i must say that the "current" misfits line-up is the steaming pile of ass you'd expect it to be. i guess it was a few years ago now that i saw some band featuring jerry only, playing an indistinguishable combination of misfits and ramones songs in an off-key and incredibly sloppy manner. i went running around the pit singing one song, the kid on my left singing another, kid on my right singing a third song, while i think the band was actually playing a fourth. i guess when everything is based off the same three chords it's all interchangable anyway, but the only good thing about the show was i got in for free.

Ha ha ha! That is an AWESOME story, I must say. Yeah, if this show by my old place is any more than $5, I won't be going. I have seen enough YouTube videos to be scared away. It's pretty shocking, how awful these new school lineups have been. What the fuck happened to Only, you know? Jesus...

we did stomp over a dirty hippie (which would have been more awesome had i not gotten a face full of dreads and felt the need to go to the bathroom to wash the patchouli cooties off me) while trying to figure out exactly what song the band was playing. i guess that counts as a good part of the show, as well.

can't see it being 5 bucks or less. that show 3 or 4 years ago was $20 i think, i just lucked out no one else from the campus radio station wanted the free tickets (or i may have "forgotten" to give them away on my show, can't really remember).

I believe some feel they are the first hardcore band. They just didn;t have social lyrics or dark personal inner pain style songs. It was a 50's horror theme set to fast racing loud music. The lyrics are not deep by any stretch. lol.

I recommend this honest, loving, deeply heartfelt and touching piece by Will "Bonnie 'Prince' Billy" Oldham on a very regular basis, but instead of again urging people to click through, I will just make some copypasta. This is a wonderfully brief feature that beautifully sums up not so much Glenn Danzig or The Misfits, but rather the joys and devotion of being a die-hard fan. The Misfits & Co. inspired that kind of devotion in a lot of us.

UNHOLY PASSION
by Will Oldham

I got to listening to the Misfits around the time that Samhain started up. Many of us in Louisville were what is known as "rabid fans" of both bands, and there wasn't a day went by we didn't talk about the records, about Glenn. Initium is a great record, unique. At one point, I put together a huge collage of images pulled from school encyclopedias... voodoo and gargoyles, lots of blood and nastiness. I sent it to Glenn, along with a cow skull and ten dollars, hoping against hope for something to come back. Well, not too long after, the mailman brought me a package from Lodi, and in it was a "Cough/Cool" single and a beautiful pale-yellow Samhain t-shirt.

I think I saw the second show that Samhain played at Newport, K.Y.'s Jockey Club; it was an amazing night, the first time I stayed up all night. Everyone in the band signed my yellow t-shirt. This was probably during the "Unholy Passion" trip. When the November-Coming-Fire trip came around, a Louisville band called Maurice was asked to open. I went along for the trip, taking pictures.

So Samhain was Glenn, Eerie, Damien, and London May, with roadie Tom. We went to Ohio, Indiana, Michigan. I remember Detroit, the show was at Corey Rusk's place; at one point, after soundcheck, there was a buzz that Glenn was upstairs with Corey and Tesco Vee. A jaw-dropping summit! London, I am pretty sure, was a vegetarian, and the others constantly ribbed him in Jersey boy fashion; when we would stop at a Denny's, say, to eat, Glenn and Eerie would tell London that there was some shrubbery outside... really idiotic stuff, but hilarious. Britt Walford played drums in Maurice, and he and I entertained Samhain with our impersonations of people with cerebral palsy. They got a big kick out of that. High-minded all around, we were.

In Bloomington, something occured that we were told was a remarkable event: Glenn drank some of a beer, maybe a whole beer. I remember sitting on a porch at a party after the show. Glenn had someone's acoustic guitar, and he started to play the John Cougar song "Small Town". Only he sang it like this: "Well I was born with no dick... and I am a lesbian..." and he giggled hysterically.

The shows blew my mind, every night. "Death Comes Ripping", "Bloodfeast", and "Die! Die! My Darling" thrown in with the songs from the three Samhain records. Powerful, awesome. Always front and center we were, screaming, sweating, singing along with every song. The band was a united front. I have never seen such great songs played so fiercely just for the audience that was right there.

I got to see the Samhain tour a couple of years ago. The set was brilliantly structured, with line-up and costume changes to reflect the evolution of Samhain. And with tension, and joy; it was as great as it was in 1985, because Glenn had changed it and made it as great as our memories would have had it. After the show, London re-introduced me to Glenn. Glenn stared at me blankly, then smiled and thanked me for coming. His voice was hoarse, he had a cold. He didn't remember me at all from 1985. I think about him all of the time.

This is taken from a brilliant feature that ran on Pitchfork, a few years ago, when they relaunched with a new design. It's wonderful stuff, and you have to read it:

Pitchfork: Articles: Stuck in Lodi

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS IS AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING I WOULDA KILLED TO BE THERE ALHSFs83WFsdalf8uw3YH3WOJFA;3W2Iaiuwfr83w fwOV R3 F,D,D....AssssssssliuAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBXXXXXXXXXXXXQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqAAAAAAAa4a....i****************************************:

Pitchfork: Watch Ted Leo's Misfits Tribute Show

Seriously? Nobody watched that and thought it was the best thing ever? Motherfuckers sound better than the often-shit-live real thing! Also, when I saw Future of the Left, recently, the first opening act closed with an impromptu version of "Where Eagles Dare," at my behest. Fucking amazing. I am seeing A Sunny Day in Glasgow, tomorrow night, and they recently recorded a version of "Hybrid Moments." If you think that they're getting out of Chicago without having played it, then you don't know anything about me. Cannot wait.

Back
Top Bottom