The Killers - Battle Born - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2021, 01:23 AM   #581
45:33

Local Time: 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

You really should. A lot of people who haven't enjoyed their stuff in years really seemed to have a strong liking for it.
Fire in Bone sounds like a song that would come out of a generator for songs made for you

cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:04 AM   #582
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Learn to love it my cobblestone

LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:20 PM   #583
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Imploding the Mirage is comfortably top 3-4 Killers. I think they've been on a hot streak since their greatest hits release, as if they have a better idea now of what they want to accomplish as a band.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:31 PM   #584
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Fire in Bone sounds like a song that would come out of a generator for songs made for you
Funny enough, that's one of the songs I'm not as fond of . It's got a fun chorus, though.

I'm not actually the biggest fan of Imploding the Mirage. I like it, but it's near the bottom of the rankings for me. I've also never been able to get over feeling like the best track on the album (Lightning Fields) is too much like "Red Rain" by Peter Gabriel. This is what happened with the last Wild Nothing album and me, as well. The best song on the album was a blatant cop off of another song (can't think of which ATM) and I was never able to look past it. I am weird.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:35 PM   #585
Blue Crack Distributor

That said we're talking about one of my five favorite bands. Even an album I'm "not the biggest fan of" is still something I love more than most other music.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:06 PM   #586
The Fly

Local Time: 02:47 PM
Quote:
Funny enough, that's one of the songs I'm not as fond of . It's got a fun chorus, though.

I'm not actually the biggest fan of Imploding the Mirage. I like it, but it's near the bottom of the rankings for me. I've also never been able to get over feeling like the best track on the album (Lightning Fields) is too much like "Red Rain" by Peter Gabriel. This is what happened with the last Wild Nothing album and me, as well. The best song on the album was a blatant cop off of another song (can't think of which ATM) and I was never able to look past it. I am weird.
Interesting. As mentioned, I love ITM, but Lightning Fields and Running Towards a Place are my two least favourite moments on the album.
scrumpyjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:48 PM   #587
Blue Crack Distributor

Here I go, listening to it again, to see if I've changed my mind.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:06 AM   #588
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:47 AM
I heard Brandon give some insight into the lyrics for Lightning Fields: He said they were playing a card game at Thanksgiving and his dad got one which asked: What moment in life would you want to relive again? and his dad's response was something like: To relive falling in love with your mother again (who died in 2010).

And so the lyrics of Lightning Fields is Brandon imagining that his dad got that chance to do that and wanting to get back to her as fast as he could.
U2inUtah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:21 AM   #589
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post
I heard Brandon give some insight into the lyrics for Lightning Fields: He said they were playing a card game at Thanksgiving and his dad got one which asked: What moment in life would you want to relive again? and his dad's response was something like: To relive falling in love with your mother again (who died in 2010).

And so the lyrics of Lightning Fields is Brandon imagining that his dad got that chance to do that and wanting to get back to her as fast as he could.
I miss when I used to read a lot more stories like this. Thank you for sharing. And the one you shared the other day.

COBL, you were right, I do like Fire in Bone, not sure what I was remembering.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:43 AM   #590
Blue Crack Distributor

OK, here's the thing with this album that always throws me off. It just starts so slow. Once you get to "Caution" it's great all the way through the end, but it's almost a chore for me to get there.

Also, "My God" is actually the best song on the album.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:16 AM   #591
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
I miss when I used to read a lot more stories like this. Thank you for sharing. And the one you shared the other day.
You're welcome. I thought both were pretty cool explanations.

It might be obvious but he also said Flesh In Bone lyrics are based partly on the prodigal son parable.

Quote:
OK, here's the thing with this album that always throws me off. It just starts so slow. Once you get to "Caution" it's great all the way through the end, but it's almost a chore for me to get there.

Also, "My God" is actually the best song on the album.
Blowback is probably my least fav on the album, but I like My Own Soul's Warning and Dying Breed quite a bit. "My God" is good, and I've heard several others (and read several reviews) saying it was the best on the album as well.

Overall I'm happy with the album...and interested what the new one will sound like. It's supposedly coming out in August.
U2inUtah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:47 AM   #592
Blue Crack Distributor

New Killers just in time for my birthday?
Old 06-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #593
Blue Crack Addict

Yay. I’m so glad they still make good music. I always thought Battle Born was going to be goodbye, so here’s to hoping they keep proving me wrong with better music.
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:50 AM   #594
The Fly

Local Time: 02:47 PM
Oooft, I bloody love Blowback! Everything about it, the production, the vocals, the melody… in fact, my only criticism of the track is that the musical climax of the song doesn’t continue on for long enough, but I’m okay with being left wanting more. Especially when other tracks really hit that button hard, with particular emphasis on Dying Breed, My God and my personal favourite, When the Dreams Run Dry.

It’s such a banging album and I’m enjoying the different perspectives in this thread.
scrumpyjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:43 PM   #595
Blue Crack Addict

Had some time off this week and, among other things, listened to each album, some for the first time in a while (hello, Sam's Town and Day & Age), and Imploding The Mirage slides into the #2 position in my own rankings.

Hot Fuss
Imploding The Mirage
Battle Born
Sam's Town
Wonderful Wonderful
Day & Age

Reviewing other lists, both here and elsewhere, it's quite apparent I appreciate Battle Born more than most. I find it to be an extremely consistent record; the only major clunker on there is Here With Me, and I just replace it with Carry Me Home. I may have a soft spot for it because my older daughter also likes it and did a solo dance number to Be Still last year.

My listen to Sam's Town this week made me appreciate it a bit more, although there's still a few things on there I don't care for. Day & Age has a couple of my favorite Killers songs (Spaceman, Dustland), but the second half isn't very good. And I wasn't too fond of the direction they took with Wonderful Wonderful - although again, still really enjoy several songs on there, most notably the 1-2 punch of Run For Cover and Tyson vs. Douglas.

As someone else said, there really isn't a horrendous Killers album. Each one has some major highlights, but I feel they raised the bar with Imploding The Mirage, so I'm looking forward to what's next.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:31 PM   #596
Blue Crack Distributor

I'll respond to this when I finish my own relisten to the discography I've been doing since we had this conversation a couple weeks ago.

But I will say that relistening to Battle Born today, I definitely don't DISlike that album.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:30 PM   #597
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:47 PM
New album - Pressure Machine announced, released in just over 3 weeks. Great to see a big band turn out albums in consecutive years……..

https://thekillers.lnk.to/Pressuremachine
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #598
Blue Crack Distributor

And a tour announcement to boot

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the killers