The Jazz - discussion, recommendations, shit, cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Damn, just looking at the band for that album reminds me how stacked with talent Blue Note was there for a while. The Golden State Warriors of jazz.

This was released a while ago, but Melissa Aldana's Back Home is a really great record, for those wanting to check out some contemporary jazz. She's a master at using space in her music, quite reminiscent of Ahmad Jamal, not not mention Miles circa In A Silent Way. She's also great at dynamics, giving her music a certain eerie aspect at times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/10/a...a-makes-a-focused-statement-in-back-home.html

Listen to the new Kamasi Washington EP, guys. Listen to it often.

Every track is great on its own terms, but Truth is where it's at. Song damn near made me cry it's so beautiful.

Listen to the new Kamasi Washington EP, guys. Listen to it often.

Every track is great on its own terms, but Truth is where it's at. Song damn near made me cry it's so beautiful.

:up: Kamasi is awesome....and if you ever have a chance to see the band live, do it! They are absolutely amazing.

Looking forward to digging deeper with this EP. The album Epic is simply Epic and it's consistently great over the 3 hour running time.

Two things I'd like to raise.

Firstly, yeah, Kamasi Washington is fucking amazing. Saw him at a festival on the weekend. Just absolute magic, he has his dad playing with him, and as Thundercat was on the bill also they joined each other in their respective sets. Closing out with Truth, with a female soul singer belting out vocals, was enough to nearly make me cry, even though I had heat stroke. And he looks so cool and epic on stage. I'm so jealous of that show you saw though LM.

Secondly, fascinating review for a Miles album I'd not heard of Miles Davis: Get Up With It | Album Review | Pitchfork

Sounds utterly fascinating, and I must check it out.

iYup bugged me for a long time to listen to Get Up With It and, all told, I was kicking myself for not getting to it sooner. Great album, one of his best.

The story behind it is what got me. Must have been a really, really dark time for Miles. Are there any books or documentaries/films that accurately portray Miles' career, including this car accident and the big fuck-you to fans and critics throughout the 70s before the hiatus and then 80s comeback?

And for what it's worth do you agree with the views that he was never the same or as good after Get Up With It?

He was never as good after the hiatus but I can't deal with Get Up With It. Well, I like it a lot but He Loved Him Madly is unlistenable. It's one of the most remarkable things I've ever heard, but it's the sound of crushing depression. Still, it's amazing. I'm just a wuss!

I think Big Fun is the best of his fusion albums - even is the remaining 90 minutes were awful it would still be a 4 star album because of Go Ahead John. McLaughlin is ferocious on that track, and Macero's editing is savage: the wild panning of the guitar and drums - they jump around every second; the kit sounds like two or three drummers - is wild. Thankfully, the rest of the album is insanely good. The grooves are deep, the music is chill - it sounds more like something from the late 90s than the early 70s...2090s, that is.

And for what it's worth do you agree with the views that he was never the same or as good after Get Up With It?

Absolutely. Most of his 80s and 90s stuff is smooth-jazzish, though Star People and We Want Miles both have some bite.

Re: He Loved Him Madly. It's one of my favorite Miles songs. The vamp is intoxicating.

The heaviest he ever got is on Dark Magus IMO. That album is the sound of the apocalypse.

I never got around to Get Up With It. And I'm a big fan of that period, I think I have nearly all the other releases.

I need to change that ASAP.

Even the multipart Ken Burns Jazz documentary gave short shrift to that period at the end, seemed to cram everything from the 60s and 70s into the final episode.

Blue Note is doing an extensive reissue series for their 80th birthday. One of the artists I came across while reading the press releases was Duke Pearson, and now I'm wondering why I never knew about him earlier.

The Miles Davis documentary currently on PBS (free to stream, I believe), is a must-watch, even if you know his career fairly well already.

An unparalleled genius.

R.I.P. Eddie Gale. Ghetto Music is a hugely influential genre-bending album in jazz and gospel:

Ever since I got into jazz, my answer to "what is Coltrane's best album" has always been to reflexively say A Love Supreme. And it's not the wrong answer by any means. A Love Supreme could be a legitimate answer to a number of other questions - the best modal jazz album, the best jazz album, or even the best album.

But recently, I am starting to think that Olé is my favorite Coltrane. The title track is just such a wonderful tour de force, with perhaps one of the best rhythm tracks in all of jazz: twin bass and the brilliant Elvin Jones on drums, with the occasional McCoy Tyner fill, create a such a simple and yet pulsating rhythm that somehow manages to carry the piece for all of its 18 minutes. There is a little interlude at around the 8 minute mark when the two bass players, Art Davis and Reggie Workman, play off each other for quite a bit, it's just beautiful.

The rhythm section really allows the 7-piece band to shine. And what a band that was, with McCoy Tyner on piano as I mentioned, Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, and Eric Dolphy on flute/alto, though he is credited under a different name due to copyrights. This is what makes the recording for me: it is a true ensemble effort. Perhaps one of the few times in which Coltrane the band leader was more interesting than Coltrane the virtuoso. He is so restrained, allowing the music to breathe (perhaps the closest he's been to Miles?), giving space for the other instruments to leave their mark (Tyner's solos are particularly beautiful). Coltrane's restraint makes his appearances in the record even more remarkable. He's also mostly in a tender mood throughout, not near his Ascension or Interstellar style, but with carefully chosen moments of aggression, his final solo at the end of Olé being perhaps the emotional peak of the album. Just a fantastic piece of music.

Last edited:
The "Popcast" podcast from the New York Times has a new episode discussing "recent [jazz] debuts, and how canon and community can be in tension".

This is usually a pretty illuminating podcast; they did some big panel dissections of both Taylor Swift albums from last year that I enjoyed (Jon Pareles is a huge TS fan).

Oh, and today I'm busting out my Thelonius Monk Complete Blue Note Recordings boxed set. We probably don't talk about him enough.

Agreed. I really enjoyed the Palo Alto release that came out last year, in case you haven't checked that out yet. A bit more polished than his earlier sound, but great still.

RIP Wayne Shorter. One of the all-time greats, and 1/5 of the greatest jazz group ever assembled.

Back
Top Bottom