The Interferencer Cover Song Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep missing these for some reason and find them when I come to post something. Nicely done, Peef. That chord progression is always pleasant to play on guitar.

Anyway, I got a cool device the other day for connecting my guitar to my computer/iPad/iPhone. It's called the iRig. It's about $40 and you can download the app (Amplitube) for free that gives you a few free digital effects pedals and the ability to record your tracks (though for decent functionality, expect to spend another $30 in software upgrades). Additional pedals and amps are around $2.99 each. They sound really good too. the iRig also works with Garage Band, but unfortunately your effects pedals won't. The effects options are much more robust on Amplitube than with Garage Band. I did a quick Digital Delay test (DD comes free with the app) and was able to layer it three times at different delay rates and got a pretty solid sounding WTSHNN sound. I highly recommend this especially if you have an iPad or iPhone

I'm working on a U2 cover. It will take a while to get all the parts down. By my count there are about eight different parts I have to record. And I have to fight the fact that I have no training or practice at drumming. But look for it in the coming weeks.

Holy shit, did you attempt to hit the falsetto notes? I'll listen a bit later, but kudos for trying to tackle such a tough song. Bono's falsetto moments on that song have to be terribly difficult (and also some of my favorite vocal moments of his career. That falsetto he rocked in the '90s was sick).

The waaaaaaaaaaaaakeeeee upppppppppppp part is absolutely kickass live and in all remixes, perhaps too much so for Bono, who seemed to sing it a little differently each time.

I modeled it after the live version, as you can tell. Didn't do the scream for the "Wake up" part mostly because I spent most of the recording trying to not disturb the other residents of my house.

I will listen when I get home. I am intrigued.
Wanted to do Someone You'd Admire, but the vocals are beyond me. I should get my ass in gear with a new one though

It was too soon. I was offended.

The guitar playing is excellent, but the song just feels lacking without a cowbell solo in the middle, doesn't it?

No, lemel, your LCD sound system cover was pretty cool. I always listen to these things and forget to comment. The guitar bit sounds like something I need to learn

Fuck, good job Peefer. It's a crime nobody has commented on that one yet. Your guitar maybe sounded a bit out of tune during the solo, but that's just nitpicking. Solid job

This one is for Gaf. He mentioned this song in a thread today, so I checked out the song, loved it and tried a quick version of it. I'll try it again once I learn the words because it can be tough to sing while you're reading the lyrics.

YouTube - ‪Love is a Laserquest‬‏

I'd like to hear Ryan Adams cover this one

Holy fucking shit, dude.

That's really, really good. You sound great. It's interesting, Turner mentioned in an interview that he was listening to people like Dylan, Cash, Hank Williams Sr., etc., and that they were part of the inspiration for "Love is a Laserquest." The version on the album doesn't have any of that grittiness or stripped-down quality to it really, but yours does. You say you don't know the words all that well yet, but I think it almost helps this version, because some of the unfamiliarity makes for cool little changes in the melody and delivery of the verses. Damn good shit, man.

Also, I feel like that isn't at all what I thought your voice sounded like. I know I've listened to covers you've posted in here before, and thought you sounded different.

Anyway, yeah, one of my very favorite songs to come along in a while, and one of the best things Turner's ever done. Great choice. Thank you.

Thanks Gaffer. You were my litmus test for that one. There's definitely a country feel to the tune. I can hear some of the old guys, but also Ryan Adams, some of the more alt country Bright Eyes, and also a bit of Jolie Holland (I'll post a tune of hers in Random. I just came across her lately).

My voice is always all over the place for covers. More often than not, I'm just trying to imitate the sound of the original singer's voice. This one is probably more true to how I normally sound.

Anyway dude, thanks for hyping the song in the other thread and thanks for the kind comments

You're welcome. Have you heard the rest of the album, yet? As you can probably easily tell from my gushing about it in the thread, it's my favorite of the year so far. Bump that thread up with your thoughts on it once you hear the whole thing. If you care to. I know it hasn't even been properly released yet but, yeah.

Acquired it earlier tonight. First thoughts are quite positive, but I want to let it sink in a bit before I formulate a review.

Also, you owe the cover song thread a tune, if I'm not mistaken

Well done there, Jive. Very nice sounding cover.

And yes, the B and high E strings on my Strat are always going out of tune because I suck at stringing guitars.

I pretty much do one take for each part of whatever covers I do. It takes me forever just to do a take for each part.

Alright, you guys.

I have a brand new laptop computer that has a microphone built in to it, and I'm ready to record some shit and contribute to the thread. Also, I've always wanted to record shit anyways.

JT, I think I remember you saying that you use your laptop to record all your music? Can you or somebody else hold my hand and walk me through the process? I don't know shit. It's a PC, by the way. Is there some sort of quality (free) music recording software or program that I can grab that works for a PC? I'd really like to fuck around with one of those things. Like a GarageBand equivalent or something like that?

Thanks for the help. I feel this could be the start of something beautiful.

Alright, you guys.

I have a brand new laptop computer that has a microphone built in to it, and I'm ready to record some shit and contribute to the thread. Also, I've always wanted to record shit anyways.

JT, I think I remember you saying that you use your laptop to record all your music? Can you or somebody else hold my hand and walk me through the process? I don't know shit. It's a PC, by the way. Is there some sort of quality (free) music recording software or program that I can grab that works for a PC? I'd really like to fuck around with one of those things. Like a GarageBand equivalent or something like that?

Audacity, baby:

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

After you download that, if you need more help, just say so, but it's not too hard to use.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Alright, you guys.

First, how much are you willing to spend? Audacity is the free option and a very popular one, so I can help you with that.

EDIT: My other half was a step ahead.

Back
Top Bottom