The HUGE (hopefully) Morrissey "Mozzer" (and of course The Smiths) Thread!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1stepcloser said:

Do you actually consider his solo career to be as good as what he did with The Smiths though?

Like is said i think he's made some excellent songs post-smiths but i don't think he'll quite touch what he achieved with the smiths. Mainly due to having the creativity of Marr putting brilliant melodies to his lyrics and having a great rhythm section too. i'll admit i haven't heard loads of his solo career but his recent stuff has only been ok in my opinion, aside from Last Of The Gang To Die, which was a great song.

I like to compare his solo career to Lennon after the Beatles, he had some great songs like Imagine and Instant Karma but he never did anything quite like A Day In The Life or Tomorrow Never Knows again.

If you think that Last of the gang to die is a great song, you should REALLY listen to the other stuff. Some B-sides for example. The Edges are no longer parallel, Friday mourning, Ganglord... and then you can tell me if Moz today is not as strong as Smiths.

Last edited:
Morrissey has some brilliant b-sides

Girl Least Likely To, Let The Right One Slip In, Jack the Ripper, don't Make Fun of Daddy's voice, Ganglord and his cover of Song from Under the floorboards are my favourites

While I adore The Smiths and Morrissey both, I've always had a real soft spot for Morrissey's solo work. I think it just speaks to me more, espcially his later stuff. Saying that... not the biggest fan of his latest album. It hasn't grown on me yet.

I absolutely adore Morrissey's solo work, but I would still say that there at least ten Smiths songs stronger than his best solo track. That said, You Are the Quarry and Ringleader might be more consistent albums than any Smiths offering.

If you think that Last of the gang to die is a great song, you should REALLY listen to the other stuff. Some B-sides for example. The Edges are no longer parallel, Friday mourning, Ganglord... and then you can tell me if Moz today is not as strong as Smiths.

Or "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name," which is absolutely stunning.

While I adore The Smiths and Morrissey both, I've always had a real soft spot for Morrissey's solo work. I think it just speaks to me more, espcially his later stuff. Saying that... not the biggest fan of his latest album. It hasn't grown on me yet.

I'm the opposite. I think Morrissey's work with The Smiths speaks to me more, especially Meat Is Murder. :hmm:

Years hasn't grown on me either. Though I can't stop listening to You Were Good In Your Time. :up:

I feel the same way. I find his solo work to be more enjoyable somehow, though I can't quite put my finger on why. Plus, he has a bigger catalog to pore over than The Smiths. And I'm also not feeling the new album. Not sure if I will even buy it.

I can't believe how fickle some of you are. The second it leaks, you're saying it's the best solo album he's ever released, now you're saying you hate it.

Regardless, it's pretty shitty how many people consider themselves "fans", illegally download the album and listen to it numerous times, and then won't pay for it. Even if you don't like it much, I don't understand how you can validate stealing it, listening to it, and then deciding you won't pay for it. It sure would be nice if I could go out and just take anything I want from a store, take it home, try it out for a month or two, and then decide if it's worth paying for or not (of course, I'd never take it back even if it wasn't worth paying for, would I?). Unfortunately no economy works like that, and every time you steal, you completely fuck over the industry and artist you supposedly love. Well done, I guess the rest of the world's opinions on how spoiled, self-centered, and void of ethics the West is is pretty much spot on.

For the record, I haven't downloaded the album. I'm making my assumption based on the clips I've heard at CDuniverse.com. And yes, I know it's kind of premature of me to feel that way already but maybe when I have more money, I'll buy a copy.

What happened to the Years of Refusal thread?

Why the hell was this one bumped?

The search engine is your friend.

The Years of Refusal thread would probably be on the next page....

The Queen Is Dead is so consistent, so flawless, that it is the greatest album of all time.

Ehh....Vicar in a Tutu is alright. Not as good as the rest of the songs.

True, but it's only two minutes.....a respite from how exceptional the tracks before and after it are, Vicar In A Tutu serves as a light-hearted segue....it sets up TIALTNGO well.

For the record, I haven't downloaded the album. I'm making my assumption based on the clips I've heard at CDuniverse.com. And yes, I know it's kind of premature of me to feel that way already but maybe when I have more money, I'll buy a copy.

It's all good, I apologize for singling your comment out, and to say I overreacted would likely be an understatement. Hopefully my idiotic rant did not offend, sorry everyone. That said, illegal downloading is still lame.

I'd say I am far more of a fan of The Smiths than Morrissey's solo works, but I do find myself listening to more of his solo stuff than The Smiths the last few years.

It's all good, I apologize for singling your comment out, and to say I overreacted would likely be an understatement. Hopefully my idiotic rant did not offend, sorry everyone. That said, illegal downloading is still lame.
It's alright. I didn't feel that you had singled out my post, since you didn't quote it when you made yours.

And you make valid points. Not to go too far off topic here, but the music industry obviously needs more overhauling. I think there should be a legal way for people to download full albums for free or next to nothing for previewing purposes, the catch being that the download needs to be of a low enough bitrate that people won't keep it as their copy of the album.

I tend to think that Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others is the flaw on the album, mainly owing to its placement. As a stand-alone song, however, I like it.

Good call on those last two posts. I tend to skip Never, and that definitely prevents it from being the greates album of all time.

And the album should have ended with There Is A Light. I don't see how anyone could argue against this.

Still more perplexing is Strangeways not ending with "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me," which would have made one of the best closers ever.

The Smiths made a lot of odd tracklististing choices. Reel Around the frigging Fountain is the first song on their debut album. That's how they wanted to introduce people to them. I don't get it, but that was them.

:shrug:

The Smiths made a lot of odd tracklististing choices. Reel Around the frigging Fountain is the first song on their debut album. That's how they wanted to introduce people to them. I don't get it, but that was them.

:shrug:

But that song was awesome, no complaining :wink:

Good call on those last two posts. I tend to skip Never, and that definitely prevents it from being the greates album of all time.

And the album should have ended with There Is A Light. I don't see how anyone could argue against this.

See, when I listen to The Queen Is Dead, Never Had No One Ever is like a second part to I Know It's Over.........because it starts off so suddenly after the end of the previous song and is thematically similar in it's lyric about isolation and loneliness, so I've always had high appreciation for Never Had No One Ever...I love it's positioning and Marr is on fire.....

And There Is A Light That Never Goes Out......it just seems too perfect an ending for me.....Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others has a mysterious quality that is highly intriguing and an interesting end to the album....it's like a hidden track one doesn't expect to hear. It's perfect, I couldn't imagine the album without it.

THE DIANA-MORRISSEY PHENOMENON - this is rather amusing if you like this sort of thing.

Soooo, anyone who bougth the new album???

I did yesterday... and I have to say it's quite nice! :D

The lyrics are great again. It's strange. Moz sings in almost everysong about the same topic, but it always sounds different!!!! Just Great!!!! :hyper:

For example:
It's not your birthday anymore
there's no need to be kind to you
and the will to see you smile and belong has now gone
It's not your birthday anymore
did you really think we meant
all af those syrupy, sentimental
things that we said yesterday???

Or:

And before you know, goddbye will be farewell
and you will never see the one you love again
and the smiling children tell you that you smell!!! :D