The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no, I'm going to the Tampa show. I hope that doesn't get affected either.

Haven't heard anything myself. Yes, he was a heroin addict, sober since around Yoshimi, I believe. If you want to see a heartbreaking scene depicting his addiction at its lowest, he allowed himself to be taped shooting up and discussing his addiction in the Fearless Freaks. But, at this point, there's no reason to speculate it has anything to do with that. He seemed fine and in great spirits last week though, so the news was especially a shock to me, having seen them live so recently and nothing seeming wrong.

Sorry if that came out a bit smackdown-ish. Not at all how I meant it. The Fearless Freaks is one of the best music documentaries I've ever seen, and that scene, like I said, is crushing. I can't believe he let himself be taped doing it, but that kind of honesty is also kind of what makes me love the Lips. I mean, Coyne and everybody are talking about how they legitimately thought Drozd was going to die in the middle of filming Christmas on Mars and that they were planning on what to do/how to replace him if it came to that. Fucking poignant and agonizing stuff, really. If you can track it down, definitely, definitely check it out.

sounds intense... my interest in this band grows. there's a video of John Frusciante talking about shit, but that's immediately after he shot up, no footage of him actually going under.

still waiting on a call about the status of my Embryonic vinyl :grumpy:

Seconding the rec for that documentary - it's what got me interested in the band, as I'd just known one or two of their songs up until then.

well if Dad and i can convince Mum to go to Niagara Falls, google maps says Toronto is only an hour and a half drive, maybe i can catch that show...

planning on buying the Soft Bulletin 10th anniversary vinyl... can anyone who has it tell me why there are two discs? on their website it only shows the tracklisting for disc one.

I don't have it, but there are two discs because it's a 180g pressing, if I'm not mistaken. Heavyweight vinyl more often than not results in two discs. Extra flips kind of suck, but extra quality definitely doesn't.

oh so you mean there's only two or three tracks to a side as opposed to five or six? that's slightly annoying but i'm sure it'll be worth it to hear Race for the Prize fill the house.

Out of the great amount of 180g two discers I have, yeah. Expect two to three tracks a side. Sometimes four.

The Soft Bulletin vinyl re-issue is SO worth it; the thing sounds absolutely fucking incredible and crushing. Highly recommend picking it up, even though, yes, it is 180g, although, personally, that's my preferred vinyl weight.

just wanted to promote some discussion about the two Flaming Lips albums i've picked up recently... Transmissions from the Satellite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic. see what y'all think of them.

i enjoyed Clouds Taste Metallic much more. i found it just had much more interesting songs, musically at least, than Transmissions. The Abandoned Hospital Ship, This Here Giraffe, Kim's Watermelon Gun, Lightning Strikes the Postman... most of the riffs really hit the spot.

Transmissions on the other hand, well i found it to be all quite similar, not too many different explorations or the like that i've come to enjoy from the Lips. outside of Turn it On, the thumping beat of Slow Nerve Action and of course She Don't Use Jelly.

so what does everyone else think of these two? many other Lips albums worth listening to?

Embryonic remains a clear favourite for me.

Clouds Taste Metallic is my favorite FLips album.

Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi are close, but, yeah.

Transmissions is LeMel's 48th favorite album of all-time.

Transmissions is LeMel's 48th favorite album of all-time.

I'm not sure why this made me laugh, but it did.

I'm a shitty Flaming Lips fan, I only have the most recent 4 albums. Despite that I really like all of them, for some reason I've never had the desire to look into the rest. Maybe some day, but not today.

My rankings are really off compared to most Lips fans, as I found Mystics very enjoyable and Yoshimi a little overrated. And Embryonic is a slog for me, not enough stand-out tracks.

1. The Soft Bulletin
2. At War With the Mystics
3. Clouds Taste Metallic
4. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
5. Transmissions From the Satellite Heart
6. Embryonic

I'm not sure why this made me laugh, but it did.

Same. :lol:

Soft Bulletin is probably their best, but it's such a heavy listen. Transmissions has an incredibly unique sound and no bad tracks, plus I can listen to it whenever. Clouds is very similar, but it doesn't feel as coherent to me. Great songs all over the place, but no way for them to stick together. Updated rankings:

1. Transmissions
2. Soft Bulletin
3. Embryonic
4. Clouds Taste Metallic
5. Yoshimi
6. Zaireeka
7. At War With The Mystics
8. Priest-Driven Ambulance
9. Hit To Death In The Future Head
10. Telepathic Surgery

I can really understand how Embryonic could divide listeners, it's one of their least compromising and indulgent releases. Personally, I find it very inspired and exciting to hear. They definitely hit a hot streak in those sessions and rode it to the fucking moon. I'm pumped to see how they harness this for a more taut future release, although I'm not sure how ready they are to leave the stage right now.

Same. :lol:

Soft Bulletin is probably their best, but it's such a heavy listen. Transmissions has an incredibly unique sound and no bad tracks, plus I can listen to it whenever. Clouds is very similar, but it doesn't feel as coherent to me. Great songs all over the place, but no way for them to stick together. Updated rankings:

1. Transmissions
2. Soft Bulletin
3. Embryonic
4. Clouds Taste Metallic
5. Yoshimi
6. Zaireeka
7. At War With The Mystics
8. Priest-Driven Ambulance
9. Hit To Death In The Future Head
10. Telepathic Surgery

I can really understand how Embryonic could divide listeners, it's one of their least compromising and indulgent releases. Personally, I find it very inspired and exciting to hear. They definitely hit a hot streak in those sessions and rode it to the fucking moon. I'm pumped to see how they harness this for a more taut future release, although I'm not sure how ready they are to leave the stage right now.

Mine would probably go like this:

1. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
2. At War With the Mystics
3. The Soft Bulletin
4. Clouds Taste Metallic
5. Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
6. In a Priest Driven Ambulance
7. Embryonic
8. Oh My Gawd!!!
9. Hit to Death In the Future Head
10. Telephatic Surgery
11. Hear It Is

Not so sure about the bottom half of the list though, and I still couldn't get around to listen to Zaireeka :angry: since I'm too lazy to look for synchronized mp3s (if they even exist - and that would kill the experience anyway.) I need four fuckin' stereos.

The best tracks on Mystics are special. There's a lovely proggy haze that washes over those moments. Sadly, the politics are positively cartoonish, and there's nothing as substantial as Waiting On A Superman or Do You Realize to be heard. The Flips' greatest skill has always been instilling meaning into froth, but they don't pull it off that well on Mystics. Haven't Got A Clue is almost nonsensical.

Doesn't mean I don't have fun listening to it though.

Back
Top Bottom