The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have no one to blame but ourselves, the supposed "music fans" who only buy 1 in 30 albums we listen to regularly, and some how think that and going to a concert here and there is fair to the artists and labels putting their music out.

I'd like to say that for me it's more like 1 in 2. I'm looking at a stack of 500 cds right now (the most that has ever been in my itunes is 804, so more like 1 in 1.6, and that's fair given probably 150 of those 304 are either out of print or singles).

Back on topic, though, I really enjoyed the album, although it all sorta melded together. I will say I love the production value of it for sure, and that the traditional songs are absolutely brilliant.

The second half/side/LP is superior to the first, I know that much.

Sagittarius Silver Announcement is already being underrated. That song scares the hell out of me while providing an epic chorus.

thanks, that actually makes me feel better :lol: all i've read so far is that drugs make the album listening experience infintiely better...

It very well may, but I've enjoyed their music sober for years now.

SFA always has those gigantic melodies, though, you know? Show me something like "I Can Be a Frog" or "Virgo Self-Esteem Broadcast" on Dark Days/Light Years, you know? Not there, unless you count the "Pric" outtro...which isn't a song, but rather an outro.

I agree with others that the second half is stronger than the first.

On first listen, I sorta can see where both sides of the fence are coming from. Only one or two songs really stuck with me, and I can see how that would bother some. At the same time, I enjoyed the rest of the album as well, and really appreciated the flow and "theme" returning from an absence on Mystics, so I can see why some are loving the entire album as well. Overall, I like it. Not loving as many songs right off the bat as I'm used to for a Flaming Lips release, but finding it easier to like on a whole than the last album.

Part of my problem is that so many of the songs are pretty undercooked. The rest of my problem is that "Watching the Planets" is so fully realized that everything else, undercooked or not, fucking pales in comparison.

Also, Silver Trembling Hands is the best song on the album, and one of their all-time best. Not sure how it can pale to anything.

Verily, it is one of the most gripping songs I have heard in a while. Catastrophically huge. Sounds like something off of S-K's The Woods, only (and obviously) not quite as good. In other words, the drums sound like the footsteps of a giant, rather than a god.

According to an L.A. Times report, the Flaming Lips are set to follow-up their life- (and death)-affirming LP Embryonic with a full-album redo of Pink Floyd's gazillion-selling 1973 psych-rock classic Dark Side of the Moon.
The Lips version of Dark Side is a collaboration with the band Stardeath and White Dwarfs (which includes Wayne Coyne's nephew Dennis Coyne as a member), and features guest spots from Henry Rollins and Peaches. It will most probably be an iTunes-only release.
The announcement was made last night during a Q&A session with fans at a MySpace show last night at L.A.'s Nike/Ricardo Montalbán Theater. (Check out photos from the gig after the jump and in the photobook here.)
Other tidbits revealed: While Embryonic was the final album of the Flaming Lips' current contract with Warner Bros., they plan on sticking with the label for future releases.

waqbn9.jpg

Sweet. I'm excited to hear that! (Maybe it'll finally get me to like Dark Side of the Moon :reject: )

Just listened to Embryonic. It will obviously need more spins, but I already love it :heart: I've read some press on it beforehand and after comments like "this album is hard work" and "commercial suicide" I was a bit surprised to find out that it's really not -that- out there. I can't think of any great individual stand-outs right now (Watching the Planets comes closest), but I think that as an album it works really well. It will probably be one of the records that I enjoy for the whole experience rather than songs.

i just came here to post about the dark side thing, for some reason i thought i'd be first to it :doh: :lol:

i cannot wait :hyper: and i don't even have embryonic yet!

Back
Top Bottom