The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm torn. I'd rather just wait for the album to come out, but I want to hear the tunes. Waiting won't be too difficult though.

This is their first since Mystics correct? I really dug their last few albums, but somehow still managed to avoid really exploring their work before like... whatever that album from the late 90s was that made them big.

Wow, I totally phail at flaming lips.

This is their first since Mystics correct? I really dug their last few albums, but somehow still managed to avoid really exploring their work before like... whatever that album from the late 90s was that made them big.

Wow, I totally phail at flaming lips.

Yep, first since Mystics. You haven't heard anything from before The Soft Bulletin?!? Oh man...start with Clouds Taste Metallic, then Transmissions from the Satellite Heart for sure. Both are absolutely fantastic albums, with Clouds probably being their peak before the late 90s/2000s work that made them famous. It's got Ronald Jones as their lead guitarist, and he's just insane.

I actually have both of those album on my ipod I believe. I think I tried listening to them a couple years back and didn't care for them much. But I'm hardly pretending to have given them a fair shake. I'll return eventually.

The Soft Bulletin, a true classic of American music.

One of my top 15 favorite albums EVAR.

And considering the recent exchange in Random, I hope 1B1L sees my photos from my 07 show in here what with her not realizing I'm a huge Lips fan.

One of my top 15 favorite albums EVAR.

And considering the recent exchange in Random, I hope 1B1L sees my photos from my 07 show in here what with her not realizing I'm a huge Lips fan.

Looked back, and the funny thing is that I actually remember seeing your pictures, but I didn't realize they were yours. They're awesome, especially the one at the end with all the confetti strewn across the stage. :up:

Three more weeks until my next Lips show, so I'll share some pictures from my past couple...

This is the 2007/2008 New Year's show in OKC (which, slight shameless self-promotion here, I actually reviewed for this site):
n45809822_33035346_3938.jpg

n45809822_33035482_8926.jpg

n45809822_33035520_4292.jpg

n45809822_33035599_7744.jpg

Over 5,000 balloons all released during the countdown, so fucking amazing to see
n45809822_33035601_1540.jpg

And, the show earlier in 2007 in Minneapolis:
n45809822_32557052_8540.jpg

n45809822_32557065_3020.jpg

This moment made my life that night :lol:
n45809822_32557066_3357.jpg

Shit, just looking at these again makes me sooo pumped to see them again! :hyper:

I haven't been to a concert since last summer. I think I'd really like to see a Lips show more than anything too at this point, just because it feels like they really know how to put on a show. I mean, fuck, I'm not even seeing Shuttlecock this time around.

I haven't been to a concert since last summer. I think I'd really like to see a Lips show more than anything too at this point, just because it feels like they really know how to put on a show. I mean, fuck, I'm not even seeing Shuttlecock this time around.

I'd rather see a F'lips show at this point. Lance, you haven't listened to Yoshimi? That's got your name written all over it.

Cheeeeep cheep cheep cheep cheep

I'm FED UP with this world!

Pretty sure Yoshimi came after The Soft Bulletin, YLB. I've listened to and adored both of those and At War With The Mystics. Yoshimi is my favorite actually. One of the most playful, theatrical, and sonically rich albums I've ever listened to in fact.

If you're a Clouds virgin, I'd recommend saying "fuck you" to abstinence.

Pretty sure Yoshimi came after The Soft Bulletin, YLB. I've listened to and adored both of those and At War With The Mystics. Yoshimi is my favorite actually. One of the most playful, theatrical, and sonically rich albums I've ever listened to in fact.

I misread your earlier post then. Sorry about that.

If you're a Clouds virgin, I'd recommend saying "fuck you" to abstinence.

Hell yes.

Do Transmissions, too.

"Lightning Strikes the Postman," FTW. The opening guitar riff to that song gets stuck in my head so often, more than any other Lips song for sure, and probably more than most songs I listen to.

You'd have to clean bits of brain off the floor if I had a chance to see them both. Wow.

I'm upset I didn't pick up tickets for Explosions on the 4th.

Boat party a.k.a. The Life Aquatic with Impy Zissou will make up for it.

Crank up the Bowie, or find your best Portuguese singer/songwriter friend and you've got a hell of a shindig.

Dave Fridmann produced MGMT's album, so it makes sense in that regard. It'll be interesting to see how they're incorporated into their song and how much they contribute to it.

qft

I heard some band on the radio last week that apparently used to be the Flaming Lips road crew and one of the band members are apparently nephews or somehow related to one of the Flaming Lips members. They sounded quite a bit like the Flaming Lips, but they were still quite enjoyable. I can't remember their name though, so my entire story is pointless. I'm sorry for having wasted all your time. I'm going to punish myself by listening to MGMT.

Stardeath and White Dwarfs? The lead singer is Wayne's nephew.
stardeath1.jpg

He's the dude second from the left, kinda looks like Wayne in his younger days. They've got an album that came out last month, I believe, called The Birth. I also saw them open for the Lips on New Year's 2007/2008, and they're good. Pretty sure they were part of the "Borderline" single that the Lips put out on Record Store Day too.

Yeah, I think that's them. Thank you for helping me avoid having to listen to MGMT. I forgive you of your copy right infringement trespasses. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom