The Flaming Lips - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #81
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 12:58 PM
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song got a lot of airplay when it was released and I know The W.A.N.D. is on that fantastic HP commercial right now, yet no F'lips fan I know talks about these tracks a lot.

By F'lips fans I know, I mean 2 people.
__________________

LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 01:58 PM
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song is much better live, I think. And, I like The W.A.N.D. too...I've been listening to Yoshimi more lately though.


BTW, it's a Dell commercial
__________________

onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 AM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 07:58 AM
One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Pictures/setlist/review later.

I was in the third row.
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Pictures/setlist/review later.

I was in the third row.
Glad you enjoyed it! The show is just amazing from that close...I was second row at the show I went to.
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 07:58 AM














The aftermath (also currently the background for my computer):









Those are just a few selections from the 80+ photos I took. Sorry they were all of Wayne.

Setlist:

TA! DA!
Race for the Prize
Tapsmir (Taps being played on a bugle over the bridge of Zeppelin's Kashmir)
Free Radicals
Fight Test (oh man did I go nuts here)
Mountain Side
Vein of Stars
Yoshimi (stripped down)
2025
Pompeii (incredible live)
Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Taps (poignant and beautiful, dedicated to the fallen soliders of meaningless wars)
Waitin For A Superman
The WAND
Do You Realize??

There was an intended first encore of She Don't Use Jelly and A Spoonful Weighs a Ton, but they ran long and had to scrap it.

Encore (although the intended second encore):

Moonlight Mile (Stones cover)
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #86
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 12:58 PM
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:32 PM   #87
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,498
Local Time: 11:58 AM


I'm so jealous.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #88
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 12:58 PM
Holy shit, I'm listening to Moonlight Mile right now.

I can only imagine how great a F'Lips version would be.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 07:58 AM
LMP:
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #90
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,700
Local Time: 06:58 PM
In my Place!!!!!!!!! Well-done!!!

Please consider letting us have some pics and a short review for the main page.

LOVE Lips.

email me or whatever, PLEASE!!!
__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #91
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
LMP:
baller as hell.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 26,430
Local Time: 01:58 PM
Hello friends! I was looking for a Flaming Lips thread and I found this really old LMP Flaming Lips thread so I said to myself..."What the fuck. I'll bump this motherfucker. Let's talk about the Flaming Lips"

Anyway, I have just now gotten into these guys. I'm talkin like in the last two weeks. They are a band that I've always been aware of...I knew their hit songs and I knew that they had a kickass tune featured in the movie Batman Forever...but I hadn't yet "got it", you know?

Well I do now. I have downloaded Clouds Taste Metallic, Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi Battles The Long Album Title and I am quickly falling in love with all three. It seems like this is a band that needs to be appreciated in the context of their albums as a whole. Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi are battling it out right now for my favorite. I still don't have their most recent one or anything before Clouds Taste Metallic. I don't know if any of that stuff is good and I almost don't care. With the three albums I have I'm already a big fan. I have been blasting the title track to Yoshimi all night.

Ok, thanks for letting me get that out there. I feel better. Now it's your turn.
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Hello friends! I was looking for a Flaming Lips thread and I found this really old LMP Flaming Lips thread so I said to myself..."What the fuck. I'll bump this motherfucker. Let's talk about the Flaming Lips"

Anyway, I have just now gotten into these guys. I'm talkin like in the last two weeks. They are a band that I've always been aware of...I knew their hit songs and I knew that they had a kickass tune featured in the movie Batman Forever...but I hadn't yet "got it", you know?

Well I do now. I have downloaded Clouds Taste Metallic, Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi Battles The Long Album Title and I am quickly falling in love with all three. It seems like this is a band that needs to be appreciated in the context of their albums as a whole. Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi are battling it out right now for my favorite. I still don't have their most recent one or anything before Clouds Taste Metallic. I don't know if any of that stuff is good and I almost don't care. With the three albums I have I'm already a big fan. I have been blasting the title track to Yoshimi all night.

Ok, thanks for letting me get that out there. I feel better. Now it's your turn.
Welcome to the club! They're one of my very favorite bands.

For stuff before Clouds Taste Metallic, I'd suggest Transmissions from a Satellite Heart and In a Priest Driven Ambulance. Their latest, At War With the Mystics is pretty good, although not on the level of The Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi.

EDIT: Actually, after thinking about it, I'd hold off on In a Priest Driven Ambulance...I really enjoy it, but to be honest, it's uneven at best. Highlights that you should get though: "Mountainside" and "Unconsciously Screaming" for sure, and maybe "Shine on Sweet Jesus." And, even though I said AWWTM isn't on the level of Yoshimi and the Soft Bulletin, it's still fucking fantastic, and you should get it right away.

I could go on and on forever about this band...like I did when I wrote a paper for a music class about them.
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #94
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,638
Local Time: 11:58 AM
Check the avatar and respect their greatness.

Christmas On Mars CD/DVD set will be the best Christmas present evar.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:38 AM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Saracene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
Posts: 6,325
Local Time: 06:58 PM
Of the Flaming Lips albums I've got, it's:

Yoshimi > Soft Bulletin > Transmissions from a Satellite Heart > At War With the Mystics > Clouds Taste Metallic

I couldn't really get into Clouds Taste Metallic, but then I listened to it ages ago and maybe it needs more spins.

One of my biggest regrets is missing out on a chance to see Flaming Lips live when they came down to Melbourne for Big Day Out a few years ago,
Saracene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #96
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,488
Local Time: 04:58 AM
I have Yoshimi and I think it's fantastic. My favourite track is Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 07:58 AM
Anyone who doesn't realize the second half of Yoshimi kills the first is certifiably insane.
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #98
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,638
Local Time: 11:58 AM
Personally, I think Yoshimi is their weakest non-Zaireeka album since Hit To Death In The Future Head. That's not really a knock on Yoshimi in particular, since the other albums are wonderful, but I've never understood the hype.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,662
Local Time: 11:58 AM
^^^ Agreed. Some beautiful songs on there, but it comes off rather slight.

I'm overjoyed that someone else likes Mystics better, LM.

I haven't heard Zaireeka so I can't really comment. And I'm not sure it's fair to pass judgment if you haven't heard it the way it was intended--with four stereo systems.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Check the avatar and respect their greatness.

Christmas On Mars CD/DVD set will be the best Christmas present evar.
I'm waiting for my super-awesome deluxe version to show up in the mail. Can't wait to finally see the damn thing!

Wayne's video explaining the deluxe version is pretty cool too:


Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Personally, I think Yoshimi is their weakest non-Zaireeka album since Hit To Death In The Future Head. That's not really a knock on Yoshimi in particular, since the other albums are wonderful, but I've never understood the hype.
I think, for me, Yoshimi has a stronger emotional connection than anything else. The album itself might be weaker than AWWTM, but I'll probably always hold Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi above it for that reason. They're both such hard-hitting albums and get to me every time I listen to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I haven't heard Zaireeka so I can't really comment. And I'm not sure it's fair to pass judgment if you haven't heard it the way it was intended--with four stereo systems.
I haven't heard it in its true form either, only the version fans did to mix it into one disc.
__________________

onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
the flaming lips

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×