The Flaming Lips - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #481
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,662
Local Time: 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I'd rather hear Floyd do Floyd and Lips do Lips.

That sounds dirty.
Let it be known that I resisted a strong temptation to post the Requiem for a Dream clip. Yeah, that one.
__________________

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #482
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Utah
Posts: 37,210
Local Time: 12:40 PM
I had a roommate who used to scream out, "I'm going to be on television!" in an old woman's voice every time I came home. It was messed up, but I still laughed.
__________________

u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #483
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,488
Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
Embryonic is such a good album. Worm Mountain sounds killer in my car.
i went for a drive the other night for 71 minutes just to listen to the album.

Aquarius Sabotage rocks.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #484
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,662
Local Time: 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I had a roommate who used to scream out, "I'm going to be on television!" in an old woman's voice every time I came home. It was messed up, but I still laughed.
I just got a good chuckle out of that. Funny.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #485
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Imperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 9,045
Local Time: 12:40 PM
On March 12 I get to see the Lips for the first time in three years. Happy day!


Also, for $32, this is almost worth going to Kansas for:

Imperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #486
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
UnforgettableLemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 7,287
Local Time: 02:40 PM
So Embryonic got me to finally go back and pick up The Soft Bulletin and At War with the Mystics. I'm wondering how far back I should go. I have every intention of getting Transmissions from the Satellite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic, but are the early albums worth getting? From what I gather, the consensus is that In a Priest Driven Ambulance is the first noteworthy record.


Embryonic is so compellingly unlistenable. It's dense and difficult in the best way possible. It's just gorgeously ugly.
UnforgettableLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #487
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
On March 12 I get to see the Lips for the first time in three years. Happy day!


Also, for $32, this is almost worth going to Kansas for:

Holy shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnforgettableLemon View Post
So Embryonic got me to finally go back and pick up The Soft Bulletin and At War with the Mystics. I'm wondering how far back I should go. I have every intention of getting Transmissions from the Satellite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic, but are the early albums worth getting? From what I gather, the consensus is that In a Priest Driven Ambulance is the first noteworthy record.


Embryonic is so compellingly unlistenable. It's dense and difficult in the best way possible. It's just gorgeously ugly.
Every album you mentioned is worth it.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #488
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,488
Local Time: 04:40 AM
man, i love this band. Embryonic is one of the most interesting, awesome records i have, start to finish.

A man holds a gun
Oh there's no explanation
He shoots at the sun


as for Soft Bulletin, Race for the Prize - openers don't come a lot better than that.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #489
Blue Crack Addict
 
the tourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,916
Local Time: 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
as for Soft Bulletin, Race for the Prize - openers don't come a lot better than that.
As long as it's not the remixed version that appears on the album's initial release. The original version (which appears as a bonus track on the initial release) smashes the shit out of the watered down remix.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #490
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 12:40 PM
"Turn It On" is their best album opener, by far.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:12 AM   #491
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,488
Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
As long as it's not the remixed version that appears on the album's initial release. The original version (which appears as a bonus track on the initial release) smashes the shit out of the watered down remix.
i'm not sure which version i have, mine has 15 tracks, the last three being the 'Mokran' or 'Morkan' remixes of Race for the Prize and Waitin' for a Superman, and Buggin'.

guess i best be checking out Transmissions and Clouds Taste Metallic soon then.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:37 AM   #492
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,662
Local Time: 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
As long as it's not the remixed version that appears on the album's initial release. The original version (which appears as a bonus track on the initial release) smashes the shit out of the watered down remix.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
"Turn It On" is their best album opener, by far.
And no.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say Turn It On is my least favorite opener of what I've heard. Against Fight Test? Are you fucking kidding me?
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #493
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 12:40 PM
Jesus Christmas, my bad. Second-best. Again, wrong time to post anything.

The remix of "Race for the Prize" is better, by the way. The drums on the original mix batter the shit out of everything.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #494
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,662
Local Time: 11:40 AM
Yeah. Not surprising they put it at the front of the album.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #495
Blue Crack Addict
 
the tourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,916
Local Time: 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
The remix of "Race for the Prize" is better, by the way. The drums on the original mix batter the shit out of everything.
Different tastes I guess. I love that sound. That drum sound appears quite a bit on Embryonic... so maybe that's why I really dig it as an album.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #496
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 12:40 PM
It feels more natural with the rest of the dissonance in Embryonic though. In "Race," it overtakes the awesome background vocals and synths in the breaks.

Anyway, I got to listen to that song at a house party last night and the night became eminently* better.

* I have to pay Sy Abelman royalties for that.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #497
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Imperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 9,045
Local Time: 12:40 PM
Got my ticket for March last night. 45 clams? Yowza.
Imperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #498
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,638
Local Time: 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Jesus Christmas, my bad. Second-best. Again, wrong time to post anything.

The remix of "Race for the Prize" is better, by the way. The drums on the original mix batter the shit out of everything.
Ordinarily, the louder Steven Drozd's drums, the better. Songs like Pilot Can At The Queer Of God would be muted without that shit cranked. In this case though, I agree that the remix is smoother. You can air drum to it, but it's not dominating the mix.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #499
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Utah
Posts: 37,210
Local Time: 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
Got my ticket for March last night. 45 clams? Yowza.
I'm jealous, they've never played here since I've been a fan.
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #500
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Imperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 9,045
Local Time: 12:40 PM
Wayne Coyne doesn't care about Mormon people.
__________________

Imperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
the flaming lips

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×