The Flaming Lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is there a chance that you could send that song....?

u2man.number1 @ gmail.com

pleeeeeeaaase....:wink:

inmyplace13 said:
I'd also recommend watching the Fearless Freaks documentary if you get a chance. It's pretty wonderful.

:yes: Got it for Christmas. Good stuff all around. I showed to to a friend of mine who's a not-quite-fan, and he enjoyed it as well. :up:

Yeah I'm a fan. I've got Clouds Taste Metallic, Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi (probably my favourite) and the new one that I haven't had time to listen to yet. I'm still kicking myself for not going to see them live when they toured Melbourne a couple of years ago, :mad:

"Do You Realise?" is IMO one of the most beautiful songs about mortality.

BTW, I have a question for anyone who attended Vertigo tour: was it a Flaming Lips song that played just before the show started? If so, where is it from? I haven't played their albums in a while but I don't remember hearing it before...

Saracene said:

BTW, I have a question for anyone who attended Vertigo tour: was it a Flaming Lips song that played just before the show started? If so, where is it from? I haven't played their albums in a while but I don't remember hearing it before...

"Wake Up" by the darlings of B&C, the Arcade Fire.

I wanted to go ahead and answer politely because people here don't take kindly to that question, I've seen.

Anyway, how good is Psychiatric Explorations of the Fetus with Needles?

Quite good.

Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
is my fave, such a solid funky record

I became a bigger fan when I stumbled upon the Fearless Freaks playing on either the IFC or Sundance channel sometime ago. Wayne is one true charismatic frontman, which is pretty rare nowadays in my opinion.

Last edited:
There's a band at my school that rips off the Lips' stage show.

They have a fake blood, huge hands, projectors, people dressed as animals...

"Unintentional" my ass.

If their singer comes in over the crowd in a huge plastic bubble, then they've gone too far.

:tsk:

corianderstem said:
If their singer comes in over the crowd in a huge plastic bubble, then they've gone too far.

:tsk:

I hope he punctures the bubble.

And his lung.

:happy:

from www.theflaminglips.com:

N is for NME, who rightly declared The Soft Bulletin to be the Best Album of 1999. For some stupid reason, American critics preferred Moby's Play. Assholes.

:lmao:

Hot on the heels of their Grammy wins…

4/11/07 Athens GA @ Classic Center
4/12/07 Orlando FL @ House of Blues
4/13/07 Pompano Beach FL @ PB Amphitheater
4/14/07 Saint Petersburg FL @ Jannus Landing
4/17/07 Myrtle Beach FL @ House of Blues
4/18/07 Raleigh NC @ Disco Rodeo
4/19/07 Norfolk VA @ The Norva

I'm going to the Orlando show :hyper:

Awesome, prepare to be blown away.

I'm going to see them for the second time at Bonnaroo in June. I'm hoping they make the rounds towards Texas again before or after that.

I read once that "Do You Realize" is our generations version of "Imagine". Thoughts?

I can see it. It's beautiful and accessible, practically universal, and the line "Do you realize you have the most beautiful face" must conjure an image in everyone's head.

Do You Realize is 5 million times better than Imagine:cool:

Though seemingly the opinion that Imagine isn't that great isn't so original anymore:sad:

I've only ever listened to Yoshimi, as that's the only album of their I currently own, and it really is a magical amazing album. I really hope to see them at Bonnaroo.

Fight Test
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
In The Morning of the Magicians
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Do You Realize?

All modern classics as far as I'm concerned.

And I just picked up The Soft Bulletin. So I'll tell you all how I feel about that once I've given it a spin.

Lancemc said:
I've only ever listened to Yoshimi, as that's the only album of their I currently own, and it really is a magical amazing album. I really hope to see them at Bonnaroo.

Fight Test
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
In The Morning of the Magicians
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Do You Realize?

All modern classics as far as I'm concerned.

And I just picked up The Soft Bulletin. So I'll tell you all how I feel about that once I've given it a spin.

Yoshimi is good/great, but it's not anywhere near my favorite by them.

1. Transmissions From The Satellite Heart (Features the classic She Don't Use Jelly, plus 4-5 other songs that are actually better)
2. Clouds Taste Metallic (Flaming Lips defined)
3. At War With The Mystics (Prog rock reborn for radio)
4. Soft Bulletin
5. Yoshimi

All of those are A to B+ level records, which is pretty amazing. Zaireeka is fascinating but not brilliant, Priest Driven Ambulance is fun, but Wayne's vocals are horrid. So really, those are the 5 to get.

LemonMelon said:

Yoshimi is good/great, but it's not anywhere near my favorite by them.

1. Transmissions From The Satellite Heart (Features the classic She Don't Use Jelly, plus 4-5 other songs that are actually better)
2. Clouds Taste Metallic (Flaming Lips defined)
3. At War With The Mystics (Prog rock reborn for radio)
4. Soft Bulletin
5. Yoshimi

All of those are A to B+ level records, which is pretty amazing. Zaireeka is fascinating but not brilliant, Priest Driven Ambulance is fun, but Wayne's vocals are horrid. So really, those are the 5 to get.

I agree with the picks, but not the order:

1. Clouds Taste Metallic
2. At War With the Mystics
3. Yoshimi
4. The Soft Bulletin
5. Transmissions from the Satellite Heart

Clouds... is their most solid release, firmly established their style, and has Bad Days, Brainville, Christmas at the Zoo...

Mystics is by far their most refined and complete album, yet lacks a certain charm of the other albums. It's The Soft Bulletin on steroids.

Yoshimi... is unlike anything I've heard before, which makes it polarizing on certain listens. I have to be in the mood for it.

The Soft Bulletin is extremely good, but has songs on there I actually dislike.

Transmissions... is their first listenable album, with their first classic, She Don't Use Jelly and the underated Slow Nerve Action.

Slow Nerve Action is like a 21st century Zeppelin song, listen to the drums and tell me it does not sound like When the Levee Breaks.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

Slow Nerve Action is like a 21st century Zeppelin song, listen to the drums and tell me it does not sound like When the Levee Breaks.

:shocked: I know! It really does. I love it even more thinking about that.

5 songs into The Soft Bulletin, I'm definitely digging it. It's probably more immediately accessible than Yoshimi, but not at interesting. I can see it growing on me though. There obviously some very beautiful stuff here. :up:

Yoshimi is one of the great modern concept albums.

You don't see good ones much anymore.

Back
Top Bottom