The Flaming Lips - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #281
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,638
Local Time: 12:18 PM
The quality is absolutely fantastic. Thanks, Colbert. For one afternoon, I am your biggest fan.
__________________

LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #282
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,638
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Wow, that was certainly something.

First off, yes, I do love this album. It's fantastic. For those who weren't already aware, this is NOT a double album, it's a double LP. 73 minutes. Furthermore, it's nowhere near as scattered as I would have expected. As a matter of fact, it's arguably their most cohesive album to date. The Embryonic EP is EXACTLY what you're getting with this album. This is, of course, good or bad, depending on your preferences. I, for one, found a few flaws on first listen.

The main one is not necessarily a symptom of cohesion, but it's an unfortunate pitfall many bands fall into when they're recording albums along Embryonic's line: there aren't a lot of standouts. Maybe 3 or 4 out of 18 tracks. Silver Trembling Hands is, in fact, the best song, and one of the band's all-time best. It absolutely fucking floors me every single time, and it sounds even better in context. Incredible. Also, Convinced Of The Hex, The Sparrow Looks Up at the Machine, and The Ego's Last Stand stand out. Otherwise, this is a mood piece. Period. It's loud and overly compressed, which pretty much defeats the purpose of an album of this kind (another of the album's relatively few flaws), but don't come in expecting Yoshimi or the best moments of Mystics. This is The Observer, Pavonis Mons, and The Wizard Turns On times four, interspersed with the occasional superb track. Treat it like one of Brian Eno's earlier, more rocking efforts and you'll appreciate it far more. Embryonic is largely new territory for the band.

Is it top 10 material for the year? Yeah, probably. All I know is a handful of the tracks absolutely blow my mind, and they've brought back the distorted drums. They have been missed.
__________________

LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #283
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,690
Local Time: 03:18 PM
Thanks for the review Mel. This is streaming somewhere, yes?
Lancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #284
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Motherfuck, this is a gem of an album. I've got my $$ set aside for this shit easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Wow, that was certainly something.

First off, yes, I do love this album. It's fantastic. For those who weren't already aware, this is NOT a double album, it's a double LP. 73 minutes. Furthermore, it's nowhere near as scattered as I would have expected. As a matter of fact, it's arguably their most cohesive album to date. The Embryonic EP is EXACTLY what you're getting with this album. This is, of course, good or bad, depending on your preferences. I, for one, found a few flaws on first listen.

The main one is not necessarily a symptom of cohesion, but it's an unfortunate pitfall many bands fall into when they're recording albums along Embryonic's line: there aren't a lot of standouts. Maybe 3 or 4 out of 18 tracks. Silver Trembling Hands is, in fact, the best song, and one of the band's all-time best. It absolutely fucking floors me every single time, and it sounds even better in context. Incredible. Also, Convinced Of The Hex, The Sparrow Looks Up at the Machine, and The Ego's Last Stand stand out. Otherwise, this is a mood piece. Period. It's loud and overly compressed, which pretty much defeats the purpose of an album of this kind (another of the album's relatively few flaws), but don't come in expecting Yoshimi or the best moments of Mystics. This is The Observer, Pavonis Mons, and The Wizard Turns On times four, interspersed with the occasional superb track. Treat it like one of Brian Eno's earlier, more rocking efforts and you'll appreciate it far more. Embryonic is largely new territory for the band.

Is it top 10 material for the year? Yeah, probably. All I know is a handful of the tracks absolutely blow my mind, and they've brought back the distorted drums. They have been missed.
I agree with this entirely. One of my friends compared it to their live act, how it's a series of jams, and I was skeptical at first, but yeah, coheres extremely well.

The standouts for me are "I Can Be a Frog," "Watching the Planets" (both with THE O!), "Powerless," "Ego's Last Stand," and "Silver Trembling Hands."
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #285
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,638
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Thanks for the review Mel. This is streaming somewhere, yes?
Colbertnation.com, it's the conspicuous box in the top left corner. Make sure to turn it down a hair before playing it; they have that shit cranked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Motherfuck, this is a gem of an album. I've got my $$ set aside for this shit easy.
I might wait for a 5.1 surround mix, but probably not. I can't wait to hear this without any gaps. It flows like a motherfucker.

EDIT: n/m, the 2 CD/DVD set comes with a 96k 24 bit audio mix. Hellz yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
I agree with this entirely. One of my friends compared it to their live act, how it's a series of jams, and I was skeptical at first, but yeah, coheres extremely well.

The standouts for me are "I Can Be a Frog," "Watching the Planets" (both with THE O!), "Powerless," "Ego's Last Stand," and "Silver Trembling Hands."
I Can Be A Frog is the closest the album comes to that jaunty Yoshimi Pt. 1 campfire singalong sound. I really like it a lot, and I think I'll like it even more once I've gotten used THE O!'s admittedly entertaining/adorable interjections. That kind of threw me off guard at first.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #286
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I Can Be A Frog is the closest the album comes to that jaunty Yoshimi Pt. 1 campfire singalong sound. I really like it a lot, and I think I'll like it even more once I've gotten used THE O!'s admittedly entertaining/adorable interjections. That kind of threw me off guard at first.
I hate to throw the word around, but that song is cute as hell. Wayne breaks into a chuckle at one point about halfway through.

Hell, it reminded me of some of the more playful tracks off of Clouds to a certain extent.

I never picked up those 5.1 mixes of their post-Zaireeka albums. Are they worth it?
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #287
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Utah
Posts: 37,210
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Furthermore, it's nowhere near as scattered as I would have expected. As a matter of fact, it's arguably their most cohesive album to date.
I like the sound of that.
u2popmofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #288
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,638
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
I never picked up those 5.1 mixes of their post-Zaireeka albums. Are they worth it?
I'll have one of my colleagues field this one. Embryonic was going to be a 5.1 cherry-popper for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I like the sound of that.
Yeah, for anyone who actively disliked Mystics, this one is pretty much the polar opposite.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #289
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 26,430
Local Time: 02:18 PM
Listened to the first three songs on the Colbert stream and I already like it more than Mystics.
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #290
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Utah
Posts: 37,210
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Listened to the first three songs on the Colbert stream and I already like it more than Mystics.
I like sound of that.
u2popmofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #291
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 02:18 PM
You guys are tempting me.
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #292
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,690
Local Time: 03:18 PM
Listened to the first 5 or 6 songs... no where close to as good as Mystics.

But I'll give it the warmth and nurturing care it needs to grow on me.
Lancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #293
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
You guys are tempting me.
Stay on target.
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #294
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Stay on target.
Oh, I am. I'm just not a fan of having (potential) awesomeness waved in my face if I can't experience it. But, I'm waiting for the vinyl, I've concretely decided already. I want to blast that motherfucker as loud as I can on first listen.
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #295
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 08:18 AM
Well, if it helps at all, you know I'm doing the same.
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #296
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 02:18 PM
Yep, and I'm assuming Scumbo will too, minus the vinyl part.
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #297
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Utah
Posts: 37,210
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Yes and yes.
u2popmofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #298
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 08:18 AM
It's important to me that my first listen is in the living room, spinning on the platter, and loud enough to get me evicted.
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #299
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Yes and yes.
Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
It's important to me that my first listen is in the living room, spinning on the platter, and loud enough to get me evicted.
Hell yeah. That's my plan too...the entire neighborhood is going to get a taste of the Lips' insanity on that day.
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #300
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 08:18 AM
Just like entire neighborhood haven't gotten a taste of Lance's Mom's lips insanity.


Sorry.
__________________

impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
the flaming lips

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×