The Decemberists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetitans2k

Refugee
Are they any good? does any one here like them? What would you recomend I listen to of theres?

Start with Her Majesty. I did and I've been in love with the group ever since.

All of their albums are extremely solid. Crane Wife was my favorite album of 2006. If I had to rank them:

Her Majesty
The Crane Wife
Castaways & Cutouts
Picaresque

But seriously, they're all great.

I'm seeing Colin Meloy solo in April.
smielephantin7.gif

I never got this band, in spite of they fact that, on paper, they do everything that I like most about contemporary music. I dunno. I really, really, really think that they suck.

Just my two cents. I've only listened to Her Majesty and The Crane Wife, so I'm no authority. Not my cup of tea.

You want storytelling, go to the first two Fiery Furnaces records and, of course, The Hold Steady. Separation Sunday reduces me to tears, three years later. Best rock narrative I've ever heard.

I heard the Hold Steady at Lollapalooza, after being forced to listen to one of their records a few days before. Least inspiring live performance I'd seen in ages.

The Crane Wife is their worst album, easily. (and that's saying something, as it's quite enjoyable as well)

Start from the beginning and go to the end. The first two records are probably the ones that have lasted the longest for me personally ('Castaways and Cutouts', 'Her Majesty'). All of them are extremely solid and enjoyable though, even their EP's are good and contain some of my favorite songs of theirs (5 Songs, Billy Liar, The Tain). Hell, even the Tarkio and solo Meloy stuff is good (but I'd only get into those after getting all the albums).

Great band, great albums, great rarities, great live. Back in the old days, this forum was a pants crapping fest over the first two or three albums. It was great. (EP, Skeek, Digi, HOS, where have you gone?)

u2popmofo said:
Back in the old days, this forum was a pants crapping fest... It was great.

DAng, that sounds fun, I'm sad I missed out on that.

As for the Decemberists, Crane Wife is good, haven't heard much of the others.

They also have some cool R.E.M. covers they did that you can find on Youtube.

No spoken words said:
I heard the Hold Steady at Lollapalooza, after being forced to listen to one of their records a few days before. Least inspiring live performance I'd seen in ages.

Sorry, I know this is a Decemberists thread, but I have to take issue with this. Saw The Hold Steady twice last year and they awed me both times (and being the crabby old guy that I am, I'm not easily awed). They ROCK!!! And seeing them live is a lot of fun. I think Craig Finn is a superb frontman and I don't believe there's a band that does the classic rock thing better these days. Please give them another chance.

The Decemberists? I like some of their stuff, but that's about it. Can take it or leave it. Did enjoy The Crane Wife, though.

barlowdog said:

Sorry, I know this is a Decemberists thread, but I have to take issue with this. Saw The Hold Steady twice last year and they awed me both times (and being the crabby old guy that I am, I'm not easily awed). They ROCK!!! And seeing them live is a lot of fun. I think Craig Finn is a superb frontman and I don't believe there's a band that does the classic rock thing better these days. Please give them another chance.

Yes, they are the best band in the world by a disgusting margin.

barlowdog said:

The Decemberists? I like some of their stuff, but that's about it. Can take it or leave it. Did enjoy The Crane Wife, though.

I'll give it another chance. Comparing the two bands is apples to oranges, though, or so I think.

But, sure, I'll check them out one more time....would not be the first time I ended up liking a band I at first was not impressed with.

I'm a crabby old man too, but, that's probably obvious from the tone of my posts. :)

barlowdog said:

Just heard THS is already in the mixing stage for their next album.

Yeah, for a few weeks, now. Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread.

MELOY 4 PREZ!!!!!!!!!!

Or something. I dunno. I don't even like this band...!

If you shout... said:
Look! It's Colin Meloy! He's saying important stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq3imtB3U6o

Nice find, shouter. Surprising choice from him, I was sure it would be a Smiths record.

Here's a video a "friend" from Last FM recorded of the 'You'll Not Feel the Drowning' segment of The Island. The audio is surprisingly good considering she was out in the crowd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdoUh9ekR2k
She recorded quite a few more Decemberists vids, you can find them on her Youtube user page.

I've kinda gotten back into a bunch of their early songs that got me into them in the first place lately. Particularly 'Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect' and 'Grace Cathedral Hill' from their debut, Castaways and Cutouts. Beautiful songs, it's amazing they were that good even on their first record. They have a few like those two that put me in a certain mood/feeling that I can't get from other bands. 'This Soldering Life' from Her Majesty is another track that puts me in the same mood even though the sound is in a different vein.

Back to the off topic of the thread: I too have become a pretty big Hold Steady fan over the last few years. Try 'em out again, NSW, you may like them. Both Separation Sunday and Boys and Girls In America are really good thematic albums (I highly recommend the track, 'Stuck Between Stations'). I've noticed a lot of people either love them or hate them though, not much middle ground, so it's no biggie if you can't get into them. I am surprised more people here on Bang and Clatter aren't fans though considering the Springsteen similarities/influence.

Last edited:
No spoken words said:

I'll give it another chance. Comparing the two bands is apples to oranges, though, or so I think.

But, sure, I'll check them out one more time....would not be the first time I ended up liking a band I at first was not impressed with.

I'm a crabby old man too, but, that's probably obvious from the tone of my posts. :)

Let's hear it for crabby old guys! :applaud: And I'm going to re-listen to some early Decemberists stuff. Having liked The Crane Wife, maybe I'm more open to it now.

Thanks to If You Shout for the Colin Meloy vid. Good stuff.

New album out on March 28th!

Decemberists Back In 'Love' On New Album

The narrative this time around concerns the trials and tribulations of Margaret, her lover William, the queen of a spooky forest and a rake who interferes in it all. The 17-track piece was tied together with instrumental interludes under the direction of producer Tucker Martine.

The first full song, "Hazards of Love 1," recalls the mystic folk-rock of "Led Zeppelin III," and segues into the riffy, two-minute blast "A Bower Scene." Elsewhere, swaggering rock and majestic pop join together on "The Wanting Comes in Waves / Repaid," while the acoustic finger-picking of "Margaret in Captivity" seems to nod to Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive."

Among the guests on the album are My Morning Jacket's Jim James, Robyn Hitchcock, the Spinanes' Rebecca Gates, Lavendar Diamond's Becky Stark and My Brightest Diamond's Shara Worden.

Here is the track list for "Hazards of Love":

"Prelude"
"Hazards Of Love 1 (The Prettiest Whistles Won't Wrestle the Thistles Undone)"
"A Bower Scene"
"Won't Want For Love (Margaret In The Taiga)"
"Hazards Of Love 2 (Wager All)"
"The Queen's Approach"
"Isn't It A Lovely Night?"
"The Wanting Comes In Waves / Repaid"
"An Interlude"
"The Rake's Song"
"The Abduction Of Margaret"
"The Queen's Rebuke / The Crossing"
"Annan Water"
"Margaret In Captivity"
"Hazards Of Love 3 (Revenge!)"
"The Wanting Comes In Waves" (Reprise)
"The Hazards Of Love 4 (The Drowned)"

While I vastly prefer their old "indie pop" sound to the weird attempt at prog they've become infatuated with, they always have solid releases. This reminds me, I still haven't downloaded any of the digitial only singles that have come out in the last few months.

sweeeeeeeeeeet!

life is good.

these guys put on such an awesome live show, too. if anyone gets the chance to see 'em...do it. Colin Meloy is one hell of a frontman.

There aren't enough weird attempts at prog these days, and far too much indie pop.

New U2, Decemberists, Andrew Bird, and Franz Ferdinand in 2009 :rockon:

There aren't enough weird attempts at prog these days, and far too much indie pop.

True, which I have no problem with. The Tain was far "proggier" than anything on The Crane Wife, and I thought it was great. I just felt there was a noticeable downgrade in overall album quality with The Crane Wife compared to their 3 albums prior to it. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it a great deal, but it felt as if they were trying to prove "We didn't sell out by going to a major label!!!!" instead of just making an album as good as they've always made.

Quick, Scumby. Name your favorite Decemberists record.

Also, the new album news gets me half mast.

Quick, Scumby. Name your favorite Decemberists record.

I don't know if I can, I go back and forth between which of the first 3 albums I like the most. They're ridiculously consistent as a band in my opinion. Even the b-sides, EPs, etc. are fantastic.

The only one I have is The Crane Wife plus some random songs, and I said in the unpopular musical opinions thread that they are a band I respect but don't enjoy listening to. impy scolded me for starting with The Crane Wife instead of something else, I don't remember which. So what should I be listening to? Every time I try to listen to The Crane Wife I get annoyed and turn it off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom