The Decemberists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I resurrected a Grandaddy thread when that album came out, no one responded. Funny how fickle and fast Indie fans move on and forget.

Or maybe more accurately, how they grow up and stop being hipsters and the new generations have no clue who the popular indie bands were even 5 years ago...

I resurrected a Grandaddy thread when that album came out, no one responded. Funny how fickle and fast Indie fans move on and forget.

Or maybe more accurately, how they grow up and stop being hipsters and the new generations have no clue who the popular indie bands were even 5 years ago...

I must not have been around that week, Or something.

The indiekid crowd at the show last night was trying to hard. It was a good show though.

The decemberists are rolling into Chicago on Oct. 8. I like some of their music. Are they worth going to see?

They're great live.

Well, they were the last time they came through here, which was a couple albums ago now, so I guess I have no clue how they are now with the bizarre surge in popularity surrounding their weakest albums.

Well, that's probably a pretty good indicator of what I'll be getting this weekend then.

I actually think it would be cool to hear it in its entirety live, despite greatly preferring their first 3 albums. I've always wanted to see a band perform a full album live.

Hazrads of Love shits all over The Crane Wife.

Picaresque is still the best. I dont believe in this "having to love her majesty or Castaways just because they were first and less popular" nonsense to be a real fan. Like what you like, and let others do the same.

Picaresque is an amazing disc

It's not about trying to be a "real fan." I just think Her Majesty and Castaways are better albums than the other three.

Interesting, I thought I loved the first three albums because they were great.

and that is perfectly fine.

I dont think that, and I have lost count of the number of times people have waved me off claiming im not a real Decemberists fan for not liking one of those two the most. They are both awesome, but Picaresque is better in my opinion

Picaresque was my personal "album of the year" when it came out, so I don't see any problems with that.

I still like and listen to Crane Wife and Hazards, I just loved the first 3 albums. Honestly though, I've liked everything Meloy has done. Tarkio, Decemberists, solo stuff, etc. You name it, I probably like it.

yeah, look I tihnk you guys misinterpreted me. I was more defending the right to like what you like, including the first few albums. Most people I knw feel they are 'superior' decemberist fans because Her Majesty or Castaways are their favourites.

Hazards is sitting 4 currently in my 2009 chart, shame for them it was in a U2 year, and that Brand new and Athlete released top draw albums

yeah, look I tihnk you guys misinterpreted me. I was more defending the right to like what you like, including the first few albums. Most people I knw feel they are 'superior' decemberist fans because Her Majesty or Castaways are their favourites.

No worries, I know what you meant once you added some comments. I too think it's lame for someone to somehow consider themselves a "superior" fan for liking whatever.

That said, I personally still prefer the majority of The Decemberists and Death Cab's indie stuff to the major label stuff. I hope it's not me subconsciously being a hipster douche, but I guess it is what it is. :huh:

Didn't mean to sound confrontational. I know where you're coming from. And really, the only reason I think I'm superior is because I'm better than everyone else.

That said, I personally still prefer the majority of The Decemberists and Death Cab's indie stuff to the major label stuff.

Not to state opinion as fact, but the Barsuk Death Cabs days are objectively better.

'Wanting Comes In Waves / Repaid' and 'The Rake's Song' are easily still two of my favorite tracks of 2009.

Not to state opinion as fact, but the Barsuk Death Cabs days are objectively better.

Seemed like every album was better than the previous one back then, same with The Decemberists. Sorta ironic how that stopped once they both hit major labels. :huh:

I really liked Death Cab's most recent EP though. :up:

I saw them at lolla and actually enjoyed their performance. That was my first ever exposure to them. I'll look into their older stuff, since you guys seem to like it better. I've decided that I like the dark haired woman singing better than that other woman.

Seems to happen most with Decemberist fans because there is a definate distinction between first 2 and last 2, picaresque stradles the divide, probably why I love it

Hazrads of Love shits all over The Crane Wife.

Huh. I think you're in the minority with this one. I consider Hazards a pompous, meandering, tuneless piece of garbage with maybe 3-4 good songs. Restraint can be a beautiful thing; just ask Lance's mom.

See I think they hit ti just right with Hazards, the songs can exist on their own or as part of the story.

Annan Water is gold, as is The Wanting Comes in Waves, The Rake's Song, The Drowned all gold

so i have the chance to see them live in january for 70 bucks (which is a bit pricey) and i'm considering it.

are they worth seeing live?

are they playing only hazards of love or incorporating other stuff as well?

i only know one song - Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect (which I ADORE) - do they play that?

what other albums should i check out?

Back
Top Bottom