The Decemberists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I recall, The Crane Wife received very good reviews from both Pitchfork and PopMatters, and there were quite a few people here who enjoyed the album, so I can easily understand why people tried it out first. I personally was exposed to them through one of the Desert Island competitions way back when.

As for the second part of your statement, I can only laugh. I think I'm one of the few here who is older than you and have been exposed to just as much music as yourself, and at my age, I'm certainly not concerned about being hip and in the know.

That's my point though, it's too bad sometimes that people tend to jump in with the most recent album. Generally long time fans are going to say good things about it, whether it's fantastic or just ok (I know for a fact I drastically overrated Crane Wife the first few times I heard it...). In some situations (like this one), people would have been much better off with any of the 3 albums preceding Crane Wife as an introduction.

Anyone else get an Arcade Fire vibe from those backing vocals?

No, I'm pretty sure it sounds like a Regine backing vocal.

lolz south parks not funneh

FINALLY got to listen to this start to finish in the dark with no interruptions. I got it the day it was released in Aus (week and a half before US for some reason...) and played it in the car, quite liked the sound, but got nothing of the story.

THIS ALBUM IS FUCKING EPIC!! It really reminds me of Shanty for the Arethusa and The Island.

I have been waiting for them to do a proper concept album.

Highlights:

Hazards of Love 2 (Wager All)
The Wanting Comes in Waves/Repaid
Annan Water
Hazards of Love 4 (The Drowned)

It is no suprise to me pitchfork blasted it. WAY too predictable from them. What a suprise they blast something from a band that was once a really eclectic (still is) and little known band that is finally getting the promotion and buzz it deserves. The funny thing is, this is much more traditional Decemberists than Picaresque, but I bet they rated it before they listened to it.

Fuck pitchfork.

Finally got around to listening to Hazards of Love, and...(!)

Yeah, meh. Whatever. I'll give Meloy credit for following his muse into a ditch, because at least he went somewhere in the interim, but Hazards is not a great record. I don't claim to have a PhD in Decemberhistory, but I can't help but think this is not one of their better efforts.

First off, the concept doesn't lend itself to being played perfectly straight, as it is here. No concept that jumps around this fucking much in under an hour should dominate every facet of an album's lyrical content, right down to the laughable olde English. The only thing resembling a break from knaves and demons and forest queens and shit comes with Hazards of Love 2, and possibly Hazards of Love 4 which are, perhaps not-so-coincidentally, the best tracks here. While technically sound, I can't help but find the entire idea of the album suffocating and highly lame.

Musically, the album fares much better, but still falls short of previous works. Again, it's technically sound, and treads upon heavier new territory (to mixed success; that Black Sabbath-aping riff that's played every 30 seconds is not only out of character, but simply not very memorable or even impressive from a technical standpoint), but there aren't enough memorable, ear-catching melodies to keep me engaged for nearly an hour. And even though this is a very impressive, ambitious record when taken as a whole, there isn't a Pinball Wizard or Comfortably Numb that transcends the storyline and makes you want to return to the album time and time again.

Realistically, the album is about a 7/10, as it sounds really good while it's playing, and it's certainly a feat to be marveled at, but why do I need this album when The Crane Wife does the progressive-folk thing more tastefully and has better tunes? Anyway, guess I'll have to be in the minority on this one. I think it's a major disappointment.

They're apparently on The Colbert Report tonight.

Too bad you did not enjoy it, LeMeL. I admittedly have not listened through the entire album much, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that you sorta have to hear it all at once. I have to be in the right mood for that kind of thing. At this point, I would still say I like it more than Crane Wife, but I probably like the first 3 albums more than it. I've always been a little sad that all their later attempts at the "prog" type thing have never even been as good as the first foray, 'The Tain'.

Man, Shara's voice sounded great. Shame about her new haircut though.

mybrightestdiamond.jpg

Ah, better days.

Here's the interview and performance from last night. The song is shortened, but freaking awesome. I really need to check out My Brightest Diamond, that woman's voice is fantastic.

The Decemberists: "The Wanting Comes in Waves/Repaid" and Interview (Live on the Colbert Report) (Video)

This was cool. That song kicks ass, as I've said before. In the interview, though, it seemed like Meloy was nervous. I figured he would have run with some of Colbert's jokes a little bit more and been more outgoing. He seemed shy. Perhaps he's a big Colbert fan? Or he just doesn't like doing interviews. Or I'm reading too much into this.

Hey guys. I hear the Decemberists will be on the Tonight Show Thursday.

So is the unfortunately coifed Shara touring with them or what?

I haven't listened to this album in a while, probably because I feel like I have to devote a lot of time to it.

I haven't listened to this album in a while, probably because I feel like I have to devote a lot of time to it.

Same here, for the exact same reason as well. I've been meaning to listen to it more for weeks now, never get around to it.

I enjoyed last night's performance, the My Brightest Diamond lady was super hawt rocking out in a skirt.

Wow. That's awesome. Meloy's all into it. And I love Shara and that other girl dancing it out in the background. Good find.

Back
Top Bottom