The Count of Tuscany presents: the majestic Dream Theater thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're right about The Shattered Fortress, but the rest are highlights of their respective albums for me. Really! Even Repentance is a moment of quietness on an album that is almost always blaringly loud.

To be honest I haven't listened to any of them in over five years. But yeah I suppose you're not wrong about at least the first three songs of the suite. I prefer not to think about anything on Systematic Chaos though.

Like, I'd love to be adding more, but I'm just genuinely incredibly bored by this album. The mixing is so terrible - surely you wouldn't get a guy who's been playing loud metal music for 25 years to be the sole producer of a Disney double album? That makes sense, right?

Like, I'd love to be adding more, but I'm just genuinely incredibly bored by this album.

See, I'm laughing just thinking about it. Especially LaBrie's near-total inability to characterise.

So I am enjoying browsing through this thread as a running dissection of what is seeming to be one of the most overwrought and painful albums of all time.

The thing is, though, it's getting pretty good critical reviews wherever I look.

So I am enjoying browsing through this thread as a running dissection of what is seeming to be one of the most overwrought and painful albums of all time.

The thing is, though, it's getting pretty good critical reviews wherever I look.

I also remember that Muse's Drones got pretty good review in lots of places. you know how bad that album was, right?

Nobody reviewing metal in mainstream mags knows shit about the genre so they give it a pass no matter how awful it is. Occasionally you'll get a St Anger or that new Megadeth album, but most metal (and especially prog metal) albums score highly on ambition alone.

And yes, I think Drones got at least one perfect score.

I feel like metalheads tend to kinda determine "talents" or "goodness" of the album just by names, sometimes. They're gonna love/defend bands no matter how the actual albums sound or how terrible they are.

I seriously don't know how anybody could listen to this and have anything positive to say. This is Brokencyde levels of prog metal.

Im reading the Youtube comment of the review of astonishit right now and some people are comparing this album to The Wall. Fuck me and fuck all of those people.

I'm currently watching the cricket, New Zealand vs Pakistan, and one of the commentators spoke of "an ASTONISHING straight drive".

I started laughing straight away.

"gotta have faythe" is my favorite of all the tags.

My favorite part of the discussion last night was when everyone was all freaked out by the random appearance of horn instruments.

Also, from a few pages back, regarding the name Lord Nefarious (or however the hell this band spells it), it sounds to me like it should be the name of a character in 'Shrek'. Which I'm guessing wasn't quite what these guys were going for (or maybe they were. Who knows what was going on in their minds while making this album?).

Three Days is the most amazing comedy song ever recorded. Sure it wasn't intentional, but it still is.

My problem with the album is simply this: It would be my favorite of theirs since the 90s if it WEREN'T SO STUPIDLY LONG. There's no reason for it. Even 90 minutes would've been acceptable.

I enjoyed so much about it. I had a very, very good time listening to it.

But it's repetitive, has musical interludes that add nothing, and a few really painfully bad songs.

And most importantly, it's a concept album, so there's not a lot of individual track replay value. And look, I'm not ever going to sit through this whole thing again.

So I'm pissed at it for being better than decent, but being too long and wanky to ever realistically be something I'll return to.

Plus, the story sucks, and that's too bad, because I've always held the story in Metropolis II to be pretty damn incredible, so I expect better.

It's easily the worst song...easily.

And if you go back to the beginning of this thread, I let you all know that in advance. You're welcome.

(I haven't read any of last night's shenanigans, so I don't know if that was mentioned)

It's easily the worst song...easily.

And if you go back to the beginning of this thread, I let you all know that in advance. You're welcome.

(I haven't read any of last night's shenanigans, so I don't know if that was mentioned)

Oh I missed that. It was my favorite song on the album because it was the most hilariously awful one. Best comedy/Disney Villain song of all time.

Last edited:
The Jealous Dads is actually the name of Alan Jamison's new band.

VengeanceDad_Thumbnail_v2_large.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom