The Church: new albums, new tours, cranky old bastards. What's not to love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...Church on rage now...ive just worked out its a 1980's rage special....no prizes for guessing which song!!:huh:

So U2Man...are you gonna go see 'em?

It's all electric, the shows in your area are mid tour -- should be some damned fine shows. :yes:

Well, the Europe tour is under way and kinda typical of The Church, they are a bit shaky getting started. In his blog SK had this to say about the Budapest show: "seems it was quite awful"

and this about the Zagreb one:

"the gig sucked
...in zah-grub i felt like i was back in canberra
struggling with baby grande
to a bunch of people who werent sure what was going on"

Vienna, however, was a different story:

"austria was a blinder however
we did one of our best shows ever
i dont know why"

He didn't have very high hopes for Belgrade either. I suspect when they get through a few shows, are in more familiar territory, and have a more steady supply of pot, the shows will be more consistantly good. Hopefully a few more like Vienna, and no more like Budapest and Zagreb.

Anyway...my main reason for posting now is I have a link to some photos from Vienna. :)

The Church in Vienna

Killer just put up some pics on his blog. He's getting to be quite the little technological wiz! Gotta love today's title too! :D
Killer photos

and did you notice I briefly turned the "Where are you going on vacation?" thread into a "let's talk about The Church" thread? I have a rare talent. ;)

Last edited:
Here's a link to my favourite fan review from the recent European tour. This woman "got" what what I so love about the Church. She was just a casual fan (she bought Starfish in the 80s) going into the Amsterdam show, but came out smitten. Even went to another show in a different town, and has now joined both the Church board and the email list. Kinda cool to hear that. :) link

And she takes wonderful concert photos too. Here's a link for her photos of the Church (might want to check out some of her other concert photos too). link

From all I've heard about the European tour (the last show is tonight) they had one or two blistering shows, several very good ones, a few meh ones, and a couple hideous ones -- pretty typical. :wink: However, it also appears it was a financial disaster (sadly, that seems all too often to be par for the course too) and very discouraging. Now SK is often up and down emotionally when they tour, but today's blog entry (link below) was, excepting his euologies, one of the saddest of his I've read. He just sounded so defeated. He was pretty discouraged in yesterday's ("backstage in brighton") entry too. :( Over the past several years I've been told by people close to the band and even by Steve virtually everything he mentioned in today's blog (ok -- not the part about attempting a swim in the ocean -- that bit is hilarious btw. :lol: ), so it's not a surprise, but it's still discouraging to read.

SK blog entry

Last edited:
Hi beg. :)

oh! MWP has a solo gig in Spain next week. He's given out no details on when, where, or how much, but yeah, he's doing a solo show somewhere in Spain next week. I think it might be a very solo show. Typical of those guys. :rolleyes: :lol:

Hello Indra! And look, as if by magic the thread appears.... :wink:

I was listening to the local public radio station on the way home last night and the announcers were playing their "Church song of the week", latest in their band themes (previous included Devo and Roxy Music). And they preceded their playing of "Tantalised" with a little story of Ploogy having dinner with the announcer's mum sometime in the 80s (this is after all Ploogy's home town) and admiring her canary yellow jumper. So she gave it to him as a gift. For a long time afterwards, the announcer kept seeing Ploogy in his canary yellow jumper! :lol: (he even signed her copy of Heyday :D )

It made me laugh!!!!

:lol:

That's hilarious.

Moochers! I would love a band full of moochers! :lol:

Some Church and Churchling (ie., individual band members) news:

- No US tour this year. Wah. :sad:

-Steve Kilbey and David Birdie
Appearing at THE TOFF IN TOWN
Lvl 2 Curtin House, 252 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000 Australia - $30 + bf
Friday 28th September 2007
Time: 9pm
Door price: $35 if available Ticket outlets: Polyester Records, Metropolis Bookstore and the Corner Box Office phone: 9427 9198 or online:
link

-- Discussing the Art of Songwriting with Steve Kilbey & Jamie Hutchings at the Queensland Poetry Festival

Friday September 7
11:00am - 1:30pm

Join legendary singer/songwriters Steve Kilbey (The Church) & Jamie Hutchings (Bluebottle Kiss) as they play a selection of their favourite songs and discuss the songwriting process. This is a once in a lifetime experience to catch two of Australia's finest musicians sharing their songs, stories and secrets. This session is strictly limited to 50 people.

Tickets: Full Price $30/$28 (purchased via website) or Concession $28/$26 (purchased via website) are available online at www.jwcoca.qld.gov.au or by calling 3872 9000 between 12:00pm & 4:00pm weekdays

-- New Church compilation out. Titled Deep in the Shallows it's a 2 disc set of all their singles from "She Never Said" to "Easy." 33 songs in all. Also includes liner notes by David Fricke (Senior Editor Rolling Stone USA). Everyone should buy this. :)

-- Work on a new Church album is supposed to commence at Spacejunk (Tim's studio) in September.

-- Steve has been working on a new solo album (with help from Tim). I believe it is now ready for mixing.

-- Steve is also working on a side project with Martin Kennedy from All India Radio and Big Spaceship (don't worry if you've never heard/heard of them).

-- Tim is working on a new solo album.

-- Marty is working on a new solo album.

-- a while ago the band provided music for a short film named "Shriek" That movie (which I saw last year, is probably better if you have some background understanding of the book -- it's based on a book) is due to be online later this year (some of Steve's paintings are also featured in it. :) ), and the music (instrumental) they did for the film might also find it's way to be released somehow. Nuttin's real clear on this.

I would also bet there will be more gigs (solo Steve, solo Marty, maybe Steve and Marty) announced around Australia in the next several months. Bastards!! :grumpy:

(and yes, blueeyedgirl, I would like you to arrange a beatdown of that Amanda chick! :mad: :wink: )

Last edited:
indra said:

-Steve Kilbey and David Birdie
Appearing at THE TOFF IN TOWN
Lvl 2 Curtin House, 252 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

indra said:

I would also bet there will be more gigs (solo Steve, solo Marty, maybe Steve and Marty) announced around Australia in the next several months. Bastards!! :grumpy:

:dancing: :dancing:

... BUT ..

indra said:

- No US tour this year. Wah. :sad:

:(

Thanks Indra for posting all the latest news. certainly sounds alot to look forward to :)

And who's Amanda?!
:reject:

TranceEnding said:

And who's Amanda?!
:reject:

She comments on SK's blog -- often about how it's been sooooo long since he or The Church played in Melbourne and won't he pleeeassseee play there soon!!!!!!

They just played there in fucking March lady so STFU! They won't be playing here at all this year; there's no guarentee they will play here next year; I just had to indefinitely postpone an art exhibit I had set up for SK because he couldn't chance not being able to get into the US -- and she's bitching because she hasn't seen them in two or three months (she's been doing it for a few months). :mad:

(yeah, I'm cranky! :grumpy: )

Several new live videos up at the Church's Myspace page.

Block I absolutely love this song!

Destination/Myrrh :)

Ripple This one was recorded in Melbourne (the others are from Brisbane) -- didn't you see this gig, TE?

Easy

These were from some of the late 2006 shows.

Maybe this means they actually are planning on officially releasing a live dvd. That would be cool. :) PV has been videoing them (every tour in the US -- and late last year in Oz) for nearly a decade but they keep putting it off. Sometimes I think they just want someone to help with the driving.... :wink:

Last edited:
Brisbane, huh? A friend of mine is in the process of moving to Brisvegas, I wonder how fast she can get there, so I can bludge a place to stay, erm, sorry, visit her? :hmm:

New compilation, nice! I only heard about it this morning, there was a review in the local Sunday rag (good review too).

And Indra, re Amanda, I'll have my people talk to some other people and see what I can do... :shifty:

Not sure anyone will be interested, but:

THE TRIFFIDS THIS SATURDAY ON SBS @ 8.30

The third installment in the GREAT AUUSTRRALIAN ALBUMS series goes to air on SBS on Satuurday August 11. The album in question is BORN SANDY DEVOTIONAL and it tells the story of singer David McComb and the his band the Trriffids' journey from Perth to cult stardom in Europe in the mid 1980s. BORN SANDY was reissued worldwide last year to unanimois critical acclaim, and rightly so. There's some amazing home movies and incredible live performances here and the songs .. it'll make you weep.
If you can't get to the TV, the DVD will be on sale this month.

(Stevie K was interviewed for this, so that's why it's in The Church thread. :) )

I was just listening to a bootleg of a MWP & SK show and laughing my head off. They were soooo damned funny -- it was as much comedy routine as concert! :)

The bootlegs, the Myspace video clips, and the Live at the Basement dvd are going to be my only live Church fix for a while. :sad: :wink:

Last edited:
:laugh: Oh, I agree, that MWP/SK bootleg is just brilliant ... infact, I'm going to give it a listen now myself :)

Hey, and I'll try and take some pic's for you at the upcoming SK gig in September, maybe that might cheer you up a bit :wink:

I love the bit where Steve is plotting to become Chrissie Hynde's toy boy! And Marty commenting "You know we're scared to death of her." :lol:

And the bit about when they opened for Dire Straits way back when and they were bitching mightily because there was no booze in their lounge. Then Mark Knopfler stuck his head in the door and asked if the food and booze was ok and they all said "Yeah Mark, everything's great!" :lmao:

ahahaaha... I love the Dire Straits story too .. it never fails to crack me up :lmao:

and that little part in 'Lost' where Steve sings 'when you're alone and you're feeling blue .. all the people in Morabbin (that's a suburb in Melbourne!) probably feel like that too ..' just makes me laugh (the bass solo is fun too :wink: )

aahh happy memories :D

Oh and the "Dissecting a rabbit? No sir, because that would be splitting hares." is great! :lmao:

I just wish the guy who taped it had gotten the whole thing. He was so disappointed that he fucked it up when he had to change tapes to catch the second half. I would so love to have the other hour to hour and a half.

Who ever knew The Church guys were so damned funny? I do bet that a lot of people never, ever thought of The Church as funny. Cranky old bastards -- yes. Funny -- you must be kidding! :)

Yep watched the programme on the Triffids "Born Sandy Devotional". Stevie was exceedingly complementary about the album, practically glowing with praise, I was beginning to think he had been paid or sumfin :wink:

^^haha :wink:

ohhhhhh .. the shame! :| I have to confess .... I completely forgot to watch/tape last night!!!!!! I got home last night and there was a phone message from my sis .... "eh Mel, Steve Kilbey's on the telly!!!"

F*#&$^+@!!!!!!! :banghead:

blueeyedgirl said:
Yep watched the programme on the Triffids "Born Sandy Devotional". Stevie was exceedingly complementary about the album, practically glowing with praise, I was beginning to think he had been paid or sumfin :wink:

He mentioned his bit on his blog a few days ago:

"tonight im on telly in triffids special
i look a bit too excited for my own goode i reckon
a bit too self satisfied....."

And the next day he wrote this:

heres the little starfish starfish
should i dislodge its memories for tv show?
i ask my oracle in my heart
he says have no truck with it
empty feeling in treasury says go my son
it cant do any harm
its a dilemma mama
no advice necessary
none asked for
none taken
the obvious aint always so obviously the right way
all publicity aint good publicity
some things best left unsaid about some things
just leave em as they are
let em be
let em out
but resist urge to tamper in a good job
the weary(some) hoi polloi demand explanations
where didja get the idea for that they want to ask
then they edit it all up
as they wanna get an angle
on the other hand
a loada people get "reaquainted " with ya
but reaquainted with some past glory
not what you doing now
shame i gotta be over this barrel
but i helped put me there
so its just my difficult job to deicide now
between obscure legend intacto
or
prime (ate) time (over) exposure
the stupid things that mite get said
the stuttering blustering pontificating palaver
(translate that into spanish please)
steve b kill
picking thru the embers of the past on the telly
oh yeah
i did this n i did that
self satisfied snigger
we recorded the vocals in this very room
now a dungeon in sam n ellas brothel/niteclub
i wrote the words on this bitter paper
words i wrestled from my very soul indeed
or was it
i got stoned and made something up on the spot
is there a point between these extremes that telly can understand
here is the veryguitar i pawned in 1999
which played the lead riff on the flexi disc from the same session
here i am now
over enthusiastic olde rake
despite himself
telly casting my cut up memories
answering the kwestions like a goodebouy
it was like this and that muh ludd
let me tell you this one again
on the otherhand
what real choice do i have?
its not as easy as it probably looks
its a hard slog
its an uphill road
its a thankless gig
its a struggle
its a carryon
thats the comedown

I wonder if that means a similar type special has been proposed for Starfish. :hmm:

You know, in many ways I'd love to see such a show, but I also understand Steve reluctance. He's resisted so long and hard against the whole 80's band nostalgia bit, yet that's what's big right now and why he's getting these offers. The band has released at least 15 albums since Starfish, yet all most people are interestd in hearing about is Starfish (which I do love, btw, but I love other albums of their's too!). I know it was their most commercially viable album, and a lot of people have fond memories of it, but embracing it too happily has to feel like giving in and accepting the "washed up old has-been" tag.

I sometimes think SK is his own worst enemy. The other bands featured so far have been Silverchair (just released their best album, apparently), Crowded House (now reformed), and next week the Saints "(I'm) Stranded" and Chris Bailey is still out and about in his own inimitable way :wink: None of them seem to have the same issues (and surely Neil Finn and Chris are older than SK :lol: ) SK should just sit back and enjoy the fact that people enjoy the Choich's music cos it's good music, despite/in spite of what he wants people to think of it. Steve, just calm down, mate!!!

He might even get some new fans out of it!!!!!

I agree he can be his worst enemy. I remember reading an article where the author said something about Steve, despite not looking or sounding (musically) like one, has an awfully lot of punk rocker in him. He has a very strong tendency to bite the hand that feeds him. I have to agree with that assessment. Steve has a deep dislike and distrust of authority and convention, and I think that makes it very hard for him to accept and embrace opportunities that are mainstream, even if they can be beneficial. He really hates being or feeling beholden to "them" in any way, and he's never seemed all that comfortable playing the game, so he's always really conflicted. I know a lot of people get really irritated at him for this, but it's just him, and I can't see him changing now.

Despite all this, Steve really craves attention and adoration. He doesn't want it to be super smarmy, but he does need that positive feedback. It's one of the things that surprised me the most about him. He seems so sure of himself, so cocky, but he desperately wants to know people still find him relevant (which is why I think he is so torn about doing stuff like talking about the making of Sarfish on a tv special). He definitely holds himself back.

Marty nailed it when he once commented "We're the Church -- we don't do anything the easy way." :lol:

Anyway, it's not like he's selling out or anything - this isn't like appearing at the Commonwealth Games in front of millions, the programme will be on SBS, where about 50 people will watch :lol:

But those 50 people will be damn COOOOLLLLL :yes:

blueeyedgirl said:
Anyway, it's not like he's selling out or anything - this isn't like appearing at the Commonwealth Games in front of millions, the programme will be on SBS, where about 50 people will watch :lol:

But those 50 people will be damn COOOOLLLLL :yes:

Yeah, sometimes the things that man balks at simply amaze me. :rolleyes:

He's still stressing over whether he should say yes or no to having Starfish on the series. To me it's a no-brainer -- well respected peers gushing about one of his album -- what the hell's not to like? :huh:

Anyway, here's his most recent pondering on the issue:

actually i watch saints show
to re evaluate whether i would like staff-ish on there
is it a classic australian album album?
do i want a load of lumineries saying how great it was?
muse: i'd say so....
do i want to be on there raving on about myself?
muse : i bet you do....
do i want a load of mega successful hipsters
saying how they nicked everything from starfish?
muse: you might want it...but it aint gonna happen...
and you have no control
there i'll be
in a shiny empty recording studio somewhere
oooh look doris...its steve fucking kilbey
oh boris...he looks like one of the nine mortal kings
i dont like that silly beard
hes got a good suntan though boris
oh look there he is when he was still glamourous(sigh)
i wish hed stop going on about himself.......
......and saying all those big words
....and comparing himself to his betters
.....and smirking....god thats annoying
...and touching the silly beard
.....and dropping in foreign phrases like zeitgeist n je ne sais quoi
.....and looking bemused and self satisfied
.....clearing his throat before weighty pronouncements
.....rubbing his hands together smugly
.....long rambling answers full of tedious details
.....putting on his english n australian accents, i mean, which is it?
....hey doris
what boris?
the shows over
damn!
i wanted to hear that one good song!
which ones that ?
you know la la la dah dah
oh yeah
the one they did in that tv show
thats right
i wanted to hear what he said about that....
why wouldya.?...itll just demystify it for ya, dear...
ah youre right doris
youre so right

I do get a big kick out of the doris and boris conversation. If he does do the show (and if I ever get to see it) I'll probably laugh myself silly imagining their take on it. :lmao: And I love his muse too...I can just imagine him having arguments with her. Someday he's going to end up in one of those padded rooms -- "yes, officer, he was having this heated argument with himself..."

Last edited:
Geez, he's a pain. All this dithering, so he can have 200 comments a day from his fans begging him to do it, and by the time he decides the prog's producers will tell him, "sorry mate, you took too long, we've done the Hunters instead. Mark Seymour doesn't have is-sews with compromising his artistic integrity!!!"

Back
Top Bottom