The Beatles Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So....I know "Love" is not highly regarded for good reason, but that mashup of Mr Kite/She's So Heavy is one of the coolest things I've heard.

Love isn't highly regarded? It's amazing. I've seen the actual show three times, and that was amazing too.

Love isn't highly regarded? It's amazing. I've seen the actual show three times, and that was amazing too.

I heard a lot of people were pissed at the album itself. Then again, I read a lot of the negativity towards it on Atease, so I guess I should have considered the source.

I don't know what they possibly could have expected that would have got them pissed off. It's an ecstatic celebration of all things Beatles, a true love letter.

So I'm ashamed to say that I never really dove into the solo careers after the Beatles broke up. Sure I know the big hits, but never really listened to any post Beatles albums.

Where you would all suggest I start out? I normally favored Lennon and Harrison over McCartney but I'm open to anything.

So I'm ashamed to say that I never really dove into the solo careers after the Beatles broke up. Sure I know the big hits, but never really listened to any post Beatles albums.

Where you would all suggest I start out? I normally favored Lennon and Harrison over McCartney but I'm open to anything.

Harrison's All Things Must Pass is essential. McCartney I has some sweet tracks as well.

For my money, John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is easily the best of the Beatles solo albums.

The five you need TODAY:

1. All Things Must Pass
2. Plastic Ono Band
3. Ram
4. Band on the Run
5. Imagine

McCartney I isn't great, and I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point, but I'm very fond of it. It's so sloppy and lovable.

McCartney I isn't great, and I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point, but I'm very fond of it. It's so sloppy and lovable.

It's a nice transition into his solo work given what ended up on The White Album, what demo'd there, and what made it onto McCartney I.

On that note, I'd also recommend Anthology 3, if your goal is to frame the transition into the Beatles' respective solo careers. I find it to be the most interesting of the three anyway, though the music on 2 is probably of higher quality.

On that note, I'd also recommend Anthology 3, if your goal is to frame the transition into the Beatles' respective solo careers. I find it to be the most interesting of the three anyway, though the music on 2 is probably of higher quality.

Anthology 2 is killer. Easily my favorite of the three.

From a quality standpoint, you really can't beat Rubber Soul + Revolver + Sgt. Pepper + Magical Mystery Tour. That's 2-5 in my top 5. Beatles from 1965-1967 were the absolute shit. Demo versions of that shit would still sound like a greatest hits.

White Album + Abbey Road + Let It Be + early solo work, while resulting in weaker material overall, also came from their most traumatic period and the leftovers are fascinating. It was also the closest thing we had to Let It Be Naked for a long time.

I love Abbey Road so much. Probably my favorite album of all time. It's bittersweet that the band literally hated each other while recording. "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is my favorite Beatles song and supposedly the last they every recorded together.

Agreed though LM, your lineup from 1965-1967 is the shit.

I've said many times before that I think Abbey Road is the greatest album ever made, and if one were to consider the Abbey Road medley (starting with YNGMYM) a single track, it would be the greatest song ever. The album is vibrant and loose yet immaculately produced and performed. Their instrumentation would never be better, particularly from Paul, whose bass lines on that album are a wonder. The End is obviously an example of top musicianship and nearly every track is an example of top songwriting. Maxwell and Octopus' Garden are silly but catchy and highly listenable. Everything else is 9/10 or 10/10.

I've come around to Revolver as my favorite Beatles album. John's tracks on there are spellbinding, and Paul's in a bit more somber mood than usual, which is a side of him I like. The only drawback is Taxman, which has about the most ham-fisted lyrics of any Beatles song.

Anthology 3 is the best, even if just for Not Guilty, which is better than almost everything else Harrison recorded, and most of what made it onto the White Album.

Plus what ElMel said.

I love Abbey Road so much. Probably my favorite album of all time. It's bittersweet that the band literally hated each other while recording.

Actually they started to hate each other during the White Album. The hate really amped up during the making of Get Back/Let It Be. Abbey Road was actually the album that they got along better. They knew it was their last album together and they were at peace with it. Hence, The End. It was kind of the compromise album because they all sang songs. Shit, they gave George two songs. :wink:

And those two George songs are among the best of his career. His growth as a songwriter between Revolver and Abbey Road often goes unnoticed, but it really is remarkable.

Hahaha I forgot the original version of Come and Get It is on Anthology 3. That's great. If any band owes their entire career to the Beatles, it's Badfinger. Even Oasis didn't receive a deal/lead single from them directly.

Hahaha I forgot the original version of Come and Get It is on Anthology 3. That's great. If any band owes their entire career to the Beatles, it's Badfinger. Even Oasis didn't receive a deal/lead single from them directly.

Holy shit! Badfinger. What a tragic band. Two of the members killed themselves. Day After Day is a great song.

So....I know "Love" is not highly regarded for good reason, but that mashup of Mr Kite/She's So Heavy is one of the coolest things I've heard.

I'm planning to go to Vegas at some point to see it. I love the soundtrack. I think it's fantastic in just about every way.

The five you need TODAY:

1. All Things Must Pass
2. Plastic Ono Band
3. Ram
4. Band on the Run
5. Imagine

I agree with everything here.

I've come around to Revolver as my favorite Beatles album. John's tracks on there are spellbinding, and Paul's in a bit more somber mood than usual, which is a side of him I like. The only drawback is Taxman, which has about the most ham-fisted lyrics of any Beatles song.

She Said She Said is a song I never used to particularly care for, but now it's one of my favorites. The interplay between the instruments is simply masterful. As for Taxman, the lyrics are pretty obvious, but the music is simply amazing. One of their best openers.

The Love show is pure joy. How it manages to forge a narrative connecting the historical reasons behind the formation of the band, their personalities, and the songs is masterful. It's a perfect celebration of both The Beatles and the ideas present in their music, more so than the insipid, cloying bullshit of Across the Universe.

:up: x 10000000000000

Still think Revolver's highly overrated but there's some great tracks on it.

Abbey Road's my fav.

The Love show is pure joy. How it manages to forge a narrative connecting the historical reasons behind the formation of the band, their personalities, and the songs is masterful. It's a perfect celebration of both The Beatles and the ideas present in their music, more so than the insipid, cloying bullshit of Across the Universe.

I just got back from Vegas and was so bummed we weren't able to get tickets. It's the one show I had any interest in seeing. At least I enjoyed the gift shop and decorations near the show at the Mirage. :(

Bumping this in honor of the 50th anniversary special airing tonight(8PM EST on CBS).

Anybody planning on watching?

70% of the covers were boring or unnecessary. Imagine Dragons' acoustic Revolution was horrendous.

Then Paul and Ringo came out and killed it.

The setlist was pretty wild, considering:

Matchbox
Boys
Yellow Submarine
Birthday
Get Back
I Saw Her Standing There
Sgt. Pepper
With a Little Help From My Friends
Hey Jude

Last edited:
Back