The Beatles Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's hard to consider that and "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" as anything more than interludes. "Honey Pie" is the worst actual song on the album, and it's really not even close. A career nadir.

Quadrophenia is the best double album for mine.

Agreed. I've probably said enough about my love for this album already, so I won't repeat it here.

It's hard to consider that and "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" as anything more than interludes.

Agreed, though I really like Why Don't We Do It in the Road. The appeal of The White Album for me lies in how it juxtaposes hyper-serious tracks with completely frivolous toss-offs. It keeps you guessing even after having heard it countless times.

It's hard to consider that and "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" as anything more than interludes. "Honey Pie" is the worst actual song on the album, and it's really not even close. A career nadir.

Perhaps we're splitting hairs, but chanting "Honey pie!" over and over is to me significantly less than the repeated refrain "Why don't we do it in the road? No one will be watching us, why don't we do it in the road?" which actually conveys some kind of free-spirited abandon.

Plus, Macca seems to infuse each repeat with a different approach, building in hysteria or looseness.

It's a great track IMO, and one of the best things he ever recorded. Probably because it feels like something Lennon would do, and doesn't come off like posturing (see: Oh! Darling).

I fall somewhere between the "it should have been one disc" and "it's perfect in every way!!!!!11111" camps. It needs to be relatively long because you need to establish the freewheeling nature of the record, but you can do that without sitting through a ton of shit.

Wild Honey Pie, WDWDIITR, Honey Pie, Don't Pass Me By, Savoy Truffle, Good Night, I Will, Rocky Raccoon and Bungalow Bill would all end up in the trash if I had my say. Some would throw out Piggies or Revolution 9, but I like them both well enough and agree that some goofy/experimental tracks add character to the album. Just not every last one of them. At roughly the length of Exile on Main Street, the White Album may very well be the best double album ever. 20 tracks, 60-65 minutes.

I really like Honey Pie. And Savoy Truffle. And I Will. And Rocky Raccoon and Bungalow Bill. The White Album is such a good album because it's exciting. And that's due to the variety. So I wouldn't change thing.

At first it was one of my least favorite Beatles albums because I thought it had too much filler but that's the charm really. Now it's my favorite. Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper's are probably better when you consider the ratio number of great songs/total number of songs but my gut tells me I like The White Album more.

It's about that time of year over here when winter finally yields to warmer, sunnier days. It's the first day of spring. I always listen to Here Comes the Sun, puts a smile on my face. Just one of many reasons Harrison is my favourite Beatle (and Abbey Road easily my favourite Beatles record).

Beatles- Here Comes The Sun (with lyrics) - YouTube

No, it doesn't.

It's probably the worst track, but mercifully it ends a couple minutes sooner than the other Honey Pie, so it has that advantage.

Yeah, Honey Pie is probably the worst if we don't count Wild Honey Pie.

Perhaps we're splitting hairs, but chanting "Honey pie!" over and over is to me significantly less than the repeated refrain "Why don't we do it in the road? No one will be watching us, why don't we do it in the road?" which actually conveys some kind of free-spirited abandon.

Plus, Macca seems to infuse each repeat with a different approach, building in hysteria or looseness.

It's a great track IMO, and one of the best things he ever recorded. Probably because it feels like something Lennon would do, and doesn't come off like posturing (see: Oh! Darling).

It is good to see you praising McCartney :up:

Wild Honey Pie, WDWDIITR, Honey Pie, Don't Pass Me By, Savoy Truffle, Good Night, I Will, Rocky Raccoon and Bungalow Bill would all end up in the trash if I had my say. Some would throw out Piggies or Revolution 9, but I like them both well enough and agree that some goofy/experimental tracks add character to the album. Just not every last one of them. At roughly the length of Exile on Main Street, the White Album may very well be the best double album ever. 20 tracks, 60-65 minutes.

What an awful proposition. I don't think Good Night is a great piece of writing, for example, but it's a PERFECT closer to the album. Bungalow Bill and Rocky Raccoon are "slight", but they're both great storytelling, each its own satire of myth-making (American and British, respectively). I Will is harmless if not a standout, but worth it for that delicious guitar work. Or WTWDITR's blunt display of sexuality. What makes The White Album so great are the little detours and dips into various styles. You seem to want to force it into something streamlined more coherent, which not only misses the point, but wouldn't be an accurate representation of the band's state of mind and recent experiences at the time. And you'd suck the life out of it in the process.

It's not an awful proposition to me because those songs would all be in the bottom quarter of any other Beatles album. I don't feel like sitting through inferior (not slight, mind you) material for the sake of "charm." Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road is full of much stronger and equally charming material, and I don't have to wade through those songs to get to the classics.

Just can't get behind the idea that a lot of weak ideas are necessary to make a classic album. I'd rather keep the better songs and try to increase the variety after that with the better experiments. Coherence isn't important.

Rocky Raccoon is seriously one of my favourite Beatles songs. The storytelling is a hoot, Paul's vocals are great, I love the honky-tonk "doot doola doot do.." choruses, the drum clap at the end of "he drew fast and shot", and it's a blast to sing along to.

It's not an awful proposition to me because those songs would all be in the bottom quarter of any other Beatles album. I don't feel like sitting through inferior (not slight, mind you) material for the sake of "charm." Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road is full of much stronger and equally charming material, and I don't have to wade through those songs to get to the classics.

Stronger, like Octopus' Garden, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Lovely Rita, and Good Morning?

GTFO.

Oh, I'd gladly take all of those over Good Night, Don't Pass Me By, Bungalow Bill, Wild Honey (Pie), Savoy Truffle, etc. Don't have to ask me twice. The two tracks from Sgt. Pepper are legitimately quite good.

But that's why this argument is ultimately pointless; you find worth in those White Album tracks and I think they're garbage. I'm sure, if you enjoy them, you can find some excuse to keep them around.

"Good Night" melts my heart. It has the earnestness of early Disney animated musical numbers.

I love The Rolling Beetles - my favorite album is Exile On Abbey Road as well as The Who For Sale and The Kinks Sell Out.

The Rutles were a huge influence on The Rolling Beetles, as were ELO, Oasis, and the Monkees.

:lol:

Long Long Long is absolutely beautiful! You know, the white album really is a fantastic overall package. In my peak Beatles discovery years, Abbey Road and Revolver were my favourite albums. While they still remain in my top whatever albums list, the white album just has that special something that no other album of theirs has. It has this eclectic mix of weird and wonderful, experimental and pure pop, blues and country, dance-hall, even freaking heavy metal! And I don't care what anyone says... Revolution 9 is eight and a half minutes of bliss.

Back
Top Bottom