The Bangles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I :heart: Eternal Flame! Such a beautiful song.

I like The Bangles, but I don't understand the appeal of Walk Like An Egyptian. To me, its a silly song.

Someone needs to post that 'getting ready in the mirror' movie clip from our last Susanna Hoffs discussion

:drool:

I just learned today that Prince wrote "Manic Monday." Never knew. Crazy.

I know, right? It's not my favorite song by a long shot, but I love that Prince wrote it.

Please tell me you at least knew that Prince wrote "Nothing Compares 2 U" (I suppose the crap spelling gives it away).

... and "I Feel For You" (Chaka Khan), and "When You Were Mine" (Cyndi Lauper).

although maybe I'm just exposing myself as a child of the 80s, and it's only common knowlege to us old fogeys. :)

This sort of knowledge is always useful to win pub quiz nights....

And I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention "The Allnighter" :wink:

I know, right? It's not my favorite song by a long shot, but I love that Prince wrote it.

Please tell me you at least knew that Prince wrote "Nothing Compares 2 U" (I suppose the crap spelling gives it away).

Prince both wrote and performed "Nothing Compares 2 U." I guess you already knew that, but still. So, yeah, knew about Chaka Khan and found out about the Lauper song when I found out about "Manic Monday." Dude should've just made one of them into Camille and saved us the hassle, I say. Listening to especially "Manic Monday," it's now just so blatantly obvious that he wrote it. But without the prior knowledge, I obviously would never have just guessed it. So many of the era-specific hallmarks are there, but muddled by the fact that, you know, The Bangles are doing the song. Really good stuff.

Yeah, my original post read in a weird way that made it sound like those songs were solely written by Prince, but then I edited, because I'm enough of a nerd for it to bother me. :wink:

although maybe I'm just exposing myself as a child of the 80s, and it's only common knowlege to us old fogeys. :)

I knew he wrote Nothing Compares 2U but not the other ones.

So excited to see this thread I almost crapped my pants... again.

I'm a major Susanna fan. I even have her unreleased album from 1993-4.

About "Manic Monday", it was written by Prince in 1984 and intended for Appollonia's first album, but Prince kept pulling the best songs off of it to give to other artists (so, when it came out, it tanked). In the case of The Bangles, he was on a flight to Europe (I think) in 1985 when he happened to be sharing a row with Susanna Hoffs. Charmed by her (who wouldn't be?), he offered her group a song, which was "Manic Monday".

Susanna Hoffs has incredibly good taste and is a fine, fine singer. She doesn't go into the upper register of volume very well, but her mid-voice and talk-voice are incredible.

Her duets albums with Matthew Sweet are fantastic -- the first is 1960s' covers, the new one is 1970s' covers.

The Bangles are working on a new album now with Matthew Sweet. Should be great!

Never a big fan of the music, did like Something That You Said, perfect pop song, but Sussanah Hoffs is definately one of the most beautiful women on planet Earth!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom