The appreciation thread for Tom Waits, genius.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Truth. If you've put off Tom Waits for years and have heard much crazier shit in the interim, Rain Dogs isn't going to alienate you.

But, for everyone else, Mule Variations and Swordfishtrombones are the way to go IMO.

cobl04 said:
Yup is a man of high class, elegance, and another word which only he knows exists. Inaccessibility is not a barrier to him.

Ha. I am glad that I give off that impression, even if it is not really manifested in my actual life. As for Rain Dogs, although it is a dirty album, I think that it is emotionally accessible. Anyone who has really lived will relate to the emotional rust and general ennui that permeate it.

Just finished my second album from this slumdog gentleman: Closing Time. I was astonished at how different it was from Rain Dogs - he sounds almost urbane on Closing Time, but I loved the jazz-infused folk of the instrumentation. I think that I prefer Rain Dogs on account of its eclecticism, but so far Waits is two-for-two in my book. Swordfishtrombones is next.

iron yuppie said:
Swordfishtrombones is next.

My favorite, although I have a difficult time choosing the best of his pre-Swordfishtrombones period and what follows since the two are radically different.

I gave Alice a second listen the other night; I'm Still Here is an amazing song.

Here are a bunch of access codes if you guys want to check it out at Bad as Me.

64b-0krgv
rtb-msae6
sjb-5pngs
awb-4xocd
w1b-4k07w

This is jazzier than I was anticipating, some touches of Small Change and Bone Machine definitely color this record.

Loving it.

Listening to this again, did he just say "Heavens to Murgatroid"? Oh, man, I love this guy.

Reggo said:
Listening to this again, did he just say "Heavens to Murgatroid"? Oh, man, I love this guy.

I had to look that phrase up to remember where it was from. Holy shit, that's awesome. What song is it in so I can at least listen to that one :p

Shit, cat. "Hell Broke Luce" goes hard.

i like it.

"get lost" is pretty awesome. so weird after "talking at the same time." but friggin' great all the same.

ok, i'm going to need to buy this album, like, asap.

Just pre-ordered it on Amazon. I wonder what the second disc entails.

Second listen tonight - absolutely love it. Classic Tom Waits all the way.

I'm liking it, more than 'Real Gone' at least. Standout is 'Hell Broke Luce' which is fuckin' METAL. Reminds me of 'One' (Metallica's version) but funnier/scarier/awesomer.

Can someone please dislike something about this album so we can have something to talk about? Where the hell's Ashley? :wink:

LemonMelon said:
Can someone please dislike something about this album so we can have something to talk about? Where the hell's Ashley? :wink:

ok. some of the rhymes in hell broke luce seem to stretch on like a recent snl joke long after we already get the punch line, and the song could have been shorter. but its sheer badassery makes up for that, and i can forgive it...and one song kind of bored me a bit, but i'm thinking it was more a victim of placement between two more awesome songs that just made it pale in comparison.

see, you know it's a good album when not even i have much bad to say about it.

ok. some of the rhymes in hell broke luce seem to stretch on like a recent snl joke long after we already get the punch line, and the song could have been shorter. but its sheer badassery makes up for that, and i can forgive it...and one song kind of bored me a bit, but i'm thinking it was more a victim of placement between two more awesome songs that just made it pale in comparison.

see, you know it's a good album when not even i have much bad to say about it.

see, traviud? Even IWB likes it. I can't wait for my copy to come in the mail. I mean, I love the stream, but having it is different.

Back
Top Bottom