The Album You Just Finished Listening To (Part VIII)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a fave album

15762.jpg

Mainly because the bulk of this album was programmed with the Fairlight Computer and there are very few "live" instruments, some of these tracks have a slightly dated Eighties sound to them. Having said that, the songwriting overcomes that completely. Especially the lyrics. Thankfully the lyric sheet is inside the cd; it elevates these songs to a much higher level. Written off as "one hit wonders" in the US, Scritti Politti had humble beginings in Leeds, a small town in the UK, where they wrote minimalist tunes with rather bitter and cynical lyrics. A few years later, singer/leader/lyricist Green Gartside abandoned his original bandmates and took Scritti Politti to a much more pop/soul place musically, as well as taking on a more soulful approach to his singing, while managing to maintain much of the bite of his lyrics. A few of the songs that ended up on Cupid and Psyche 85 were released as singles and were big hits in the UK. They ended up on this album, along with a few remixes that were on the cassette. Hypnotize barely dented the US singles charts, but it was Perfect Way that was a hit, on radio and MTV. One of the very few albums I have purchased in all three formats ( LP, Cassette, and now on CD ) this I think is Scritti Politti's best album. The cover is absolutely stunning. (I still have my vinyl copy, embossed raised gold lettering and all.) The rear photo of the piece of raw meat wrapped in gauze with a butterfly sitting on top is a telling metaphor for the music and lyrics inside. The music ranges from reggae to dance to pop to soul. There is one beautiful ballad, A Little Knowledge, which is a duet between Green and the amazing BJ Nelson. Robert Quine, of all people, turns up on one track with a crazy guitar solo which, on the surface, would seem totally out of place. But it works. Just like the perfect balance of computerized sounds against the live drumming and gorgeous vocals. One of the best pop albums in my collection and just shy of absolute perfection. Highly recommended.

^ Which album are you talking about? Is this Scitti Politti - Cupid And Psyche 85?

me:
Bruce Springsteen - Devils & Dust
f7af124128a00cf57ff04010.L.jpg

^ Which album are you talking about? Is this Scitti Politti - Cupid And Psyche 85?
Yes, that's the one!

Best 1980's pop album ever made? Absolutely!

Rating: 10/10

Best tracks: "Absolute", "Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin)", "The Word Girl", "Absolute (Version)".

Cupid and Psyche `85 is probably the most 1980's album ever made, and yes, that is a compliment! A joyous, clever, silly, cute, exciting, dreamy and utterly addictive pop masterpiece, Scritti Politti, a.k.a Green Gartside (with new cohorts David Gamson and Fred Maher) pumped their sound to the max, creating an album that, for its time, was state-of-the-art pop at its finest, proving to be quite influential in the process. It still sounds fantastic, clearly very much of its time, but what's wrong with that? Just because a song sounds typically 1984/1985, that doesn't mean it's instantly a dated embarrassment, does it?

Let's focus on the best songs first....the album kicks off in the loveliest way possible with the gorgeous "The Word Girl", which remains the band's biggest UK hit and is a delightful slice of reggae-pop that skips through a truly summery sound that's pure sun-kissed ebullience. The song gets even better in its dub-fuelled, dreamy second half, and let's not forget the lyrics....then there`s "Absolute".....what on Earth can I say about this one? An absolute classic masterpiece, that's what it is. I can listen to this song forever, it's got absolutely everything a killer pop song needs, and much more; it's a total joy from start to finish, it sounds incredible loud and it's also got the most heart-stopping, thrilling chorus Green ever created. Beautifully, the 12" version is also available on this CD, and to say that the bit around 3.40 is nothing short of magical is an understatement to say the least. "Wood Beez" is, to put it mildly, a pop rush of the highest order; super-funky bass, a heavenly chorus, twisty-turny vocals and lyrics...this was the very first Scritti song I heard, and I fell in love with it immediately. Honestly, it's so good that you wonder why so many settle for less when it comes to great pop music, although at the time, for a brief while, Scritti and Green were kinda superstars, which is nice to know as they thoroughly deserved to make it big. By the way, "Wood Beez" has a sensational, wonderful middle-eight which stops time. It's that good. Almost as good as these three classics are the addictive, delicious "Lover to Fall", which has the kind of chorus you won't be able to get out of your head, while "Perfect Way" is perfect summer pop (and unsurprisingly, it was their biggest hit in the US). "A Little Knowledge" is a creamy, dreamy ballad, "Hypnotize" is all over the place, and delightfully so, "Don't Work That Hard" and "Small Talk" are crammed to the nines with brilliant pop hooks and...wait a minute, that's the whole album, isn't it? I guess it's all highlights then! Some cool bonus tracks include the afore-mentioned immortality of the "Absolute" 12", a fun, superior extended mix of "Hypnotize", an alternate version of "The Word Girl" (entitled "Flesh and Blood") that's a whole new song altogether and a mix of "Wood Beez" which is fun but doesn't beat the original. The playing is immaculate, the rhythms and beats are unbeatable, Green's voice has never sounded this good before or since, and overall the whole album sounds like the best 1980's summer pop dream imaginable.

Back
Top Bottom