Sufjan Stevens is Going All White Stripes on Us.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:
This song is the definition of "meh".

Yeah. It was interesting in an OMG-that's-Sufjan? kind of way but I don't need to hear it again.

It's quite underwhelming, really. Though I find pretty much everything Sufjan does to be quite interesting, I'm not getting much out of this.

I'll probably give it another listen later.

Sounds like a bunch of garbage to me. The worst song he's ever done, and that's saying something. He has tons of talent, but he should leave the rocking to those that are already good at it.

I doubt this is a new direction he's taking overall, it sounds like it was something fun he put together just to do something different. I think it's kind of fun.

He better get on with the other 48 states though. :drool:

I don't care what his new stuff sounds like as long as he drops the pretentious long song titles. If not he can go fuck himself :up:

coemgen said:
I doubt this is a new direction he's taking overall, it sounds like it was something fun he put together just to do something different.

I agree.

It also sounds like nearly everything The Believer puts on their annual music issue CDs... unlistenable. But that won't stop me from buying this year's issue. In fact, I was going to check today to see if my local bookstore has it yet.

joyfulgirl said:

I agree.

It also sounds like nearly everything The Believer puts on their annual music issue CDs... unlistenable. But that won't stop me from buying this year's issue. In fact, I was going to check today to see if my local bookstore has it yet.

What exactly is The Believer anyway?

I don't care what his new stuff sounds like as long as he drops the pretentious long song titles. If not he can go fuck himself

It's funny, I tend to hate pretentious long song titles but I'm not bothered at all by Sufjans.

Usually because the music is too damn good to worry about petty things like that. ;)

coemgen said:

What exactly is The Believer anyway?

The Believer is a hip literary magazine published by McSweeney's of San Francisco, founded by writer Dave Eggers and edited by his wife, writer Vendela Vida. Every June/July they publish a music issue with a CD.

http://www.believermag.com/

The Fey Highwayman
On Sufjan Stevens's indulgent, hula-hoop-plagued BQE symphony
by Rob Harvilla
November 5th, 2007

All my friends who don't live in New York hate New York. Near as I can tell, they imagine the city as one giant, loathsome American Apparel ad, a crass, joyless, narcissistic, careerist, emaciated, insincere, hopelessly uptight, suffocatingly twee cesspool of white-privilege Williamsburg hipsterdom. I'm paraphrasing; they're stereotyping. Mashed into the BAM Howard Gilman Opera House Saturday night, beholding the third and final sold-out performance of Sufjan Stevens's half-hour symphony dedicated to the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, with roughly 15,000 musicians crammed onstage unleashing whirling, whimsical dervishes as five vegan-thin dancers cheerfully gyrate with glowing neon hula hoops and three video screens blare arty auto-erotic footage overhead, I revel in what my friends are missing even as I concede their point. Only in New York. This is precious, precious, precious stuff.

Let me say up front that the world is a far more interesting and wondrous place with Sufjan in it; furthermore, one of his songs frequently makes me cry. We'll come back to that. For now, I have the hula-hoopers to contend with. They are a wee bit unnerving, the hula-hoopers. A toxic overload of Cute. The program includes a two-page essay, penned by Sufjan himself, explaining exactly how hula hoops pertain to the BQE, and to the symphony he has written in its honor. Something to do with the wheel, perpetual motion, the rotation of the Earth, etc. "As a symbolic construction, the hoop is an existential goldmine," Sufjan writes. Oh, do go on. The BQE is Sufjan's first symphony, one of myriad distractions from his (suffocatingly twee) "write an album for all 50 states" enterprise; "rock and roll is dead," he recently announced. His approach here is sheepish and self-conscious—the hula-hoopers aren't a metaphor but a distraction. Subtract them and the video projections (pure Wes Anderson, with their coyly formal title cards and fey shoebox-diorama odes to tires, brake lights, bodegas, prominent landmarks, and yet more hula-hooping), and you've got a tremendously elaborate but frequently clumsy sonic spectacle, way too cluttered and way too loud, with one of Sufjan's ornate and intricate orchestral-pop melodies occasionally wriggling loose and breathing free for 30 seconds or so before it's overwhelmed again. Every so often, an abrupt, triumphant final flourish—ta-dah!—indicates the end of a movement. Flawed but ambitious, etc. You know the drill.

rest of article here:
http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0745,harvilla,78238,22.html

Wish I could've been there.

joyfulgirl said:
furthermore, one of his songs frequently makes me cry. We'll come back to that.

Aw, I thought it was going to be "John Wayne Gacy, Jr", which makes ME cry. Oh well. I'll have to go listen to "Casimir Pulaski Day" now and see if it sends me to tears as well.

after reading that article, I think I would be annoyed by him in concert. I'll stick to enjoying the records in the comfort of my own home.

corianderstem said:

Aw, I thought it was going to be "John Wayne Gacy, Jr", which makes ME cry. Oh well. I'll have to go listen to "Casimir Pulaski Day" now and see if it sends me to tears as well.

Same here! Every Sufjan fan I know loves Casimir Pulaski Day and overlooks John Wayne Gacy, Jr. I've never understood it. :shrug:

I'd love to see him live. I'm a sucker for a big over-the-top show.

joyfulgirl said:

Same here! Every Sufjan fan I know loves Casimir Pulaski Day and overlooks John Wayne Gacy, Jr. I've never understood it. :shrug:

Add me to that list. :wink:

joyfulgirl said:

I give them the respect they deserve.

~MSP

corianderstem said:

after reading that article, I think I would be annoyed by him in concert. I'll stick to enjoying the records in the comfort of my own home.

just go and close your eyes. or if your at a place like the fox theater in atlanta (where i saw him last) you just look at the beautiful building / ceiling. he is awesome live, a wonderful experience, go and see it, the music will overwhelm anything that is annoying about the performance.

joyfulgirl said:

I'd love to see him live. I'm a sucker for a big over-the-top show.

JWGjr. is my favorite song on Illinoise....and it makes me tear.

I have seen him live twice (once each on the last tours). He brings a good show!

zonelistener said:

JWGjr. is my favorite song on Illinoise....and it makes me tear.

What Zonemeister failed to mention is that it's this part that makes him cry:

"And in my best behavior
I am really just like him
Look beneath the floorboards
For the secrets I have hid"

Thinking of all the great memories he's had in his bloodstained clownsuit in the basement. He and Gacy are one, but they're not the same. Now I'm starting to tear up!

I don't like it, but then again, I don't like The White Stripes. I liked a few tracks so far on "Illinoise", though, especially at the start of the album. Only recently listening to his stuff.

Canadiens1160 said:
I don't care what his new stuff sounds like as long as he drops the pretentious long song titles. If not he can go fuck himself :up:
I know what you mean.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom