Suede "Bloodsports"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeman

Refugee
Suede (or The London Suede for those of us in the states...so annoying) are coming back with a new album, Bloodsports. Surely somebody else on this board cares.

the first taste was this sweet, brooding tune called "Barriers". It sports a new-wavey synth/guitar line with a bassline that doesn't sound too far removed from New Order or U2, but has come classic Suede chord changes. It's got a great chorus, with a blast of wobbly guitar that is vintage Suede through and through...

Suede - Barriers (Rehearsal Room Video) - YouTube

Then came the first single, "It Starts and Ends With You". For Suede fans, this sounds like a lost gem from the "Coming Up" album, but minus some of the production techniques that mad that album sound trashy. It's a classic Suede tune. Somewhere i read that Brett described it as a string of choruses, and that's pretty spot on. Fantastic, rambling guitar playing, choruses that get bigger and bigger, some great slinky bass playing, and a great vocal performance. To say I'm excited for this album would be a massive understatement.

Suede - It Starts And Ends With You (Music Video) - YouTube

Wait, do you mean you haven't heard any of their albums or that you don't like them? If you haven't heard them, the debut + Dog Man Star are essential listening.

I don't know why I'm in this thread, I don't really have interest in anything they released after Coming Up.

Wait, do you mean you haven't heard any of their albums or that you don't like them? If you haven't heard them, the debut + Dog Man Star are essential listening.

I don't know why I'm in this thread, I don't really have interest in anything they released after Coming Up.

Yea I meant that I never got around to listening to any of the albums. I have only heard the Singles disc which I absolutely love! Yes I have heard that the first 3 albums or so are really good.

LemonMelon is right - self titled debut and Dog Man Star are essentials.
The sound of the new singles seems to fit in somewhere between Dog Man Star and Coming Up to my ears.

They seem to have an enduring reputation as a great singles band (which is true), but Dog Man Star, in particular, works as a fantastic album from front to back.

it plays like a broadway musical. It's really worth checking out if you haven't.

And even if you're just into the singles, that there new single should scratch you where you itch, LMS.

Just listened to Bloodsports.

Quite satisfying - urgent, desperate, and confident at the same time. Atmospheric and primal, they rhythm section consistently builds a strong foundation for the glam guitar machines, and brett is in full control of his voice. It can proudly stand alongside the first 3 albums.

I'm hoping they tour the states - I'd be thrilled to hear any of these new tunes live, not to mention the classics.

How did I not know about this? Those first songs you posted are pretty awesome. I'll check out the album.

Also, Coming Up is Laz's prequel trilogy of music

Decided to listen to this after all.

I wish this album had followed Coming Up. Really quite good, much better than I had expected. Hit Me reminds me of Pulp, which is a very good thing. The rockers are uniformly great and I love how brief it is. Not really feeling Sabotage at the moment, which has some crappy synths (nothing in the same league as The Wild Ones or Sleeping Pills). The ballads in general aren't my favorites but there aren't any bad stretches on this album.

I gotta get on this album. I'm really digging Barriers. I love the awkward phrasing during the verses

I just wanted to heap some praise on this album. I'm still getting familiar with it, but I'm really impressed. So often with comeback albums, there's the unshakable feeling that, while it may be good, something has changed and the glory days are long gone. But with Bloodsports, it really feels like the band hasn't lost a step. This album could've been released in their heyday and it would fit in beautifully. Yet it doesn't feel dated. Yesterday I got the new Bowie, new Depeche Mode, and new Suede and I'm surprised to say that this is the one I'm most excited about.

Danny Boy said:
Why is Suede listed as "The London Suede" on iTunes? Must be some bullshit trademark pissing match like "The Charlatans UK?"

I couldn't get the album artwork to match in iTunes until I changed the artist name to "The London Suede."

Because there were already bands in the states who trademarked the names Suede and The Charlatans. Blame them

Because there were already bands in the states who trademarked the names Suede and The Charlatans. Blame them

Oh, I do. Believe me, I do.

Damn, Danny the first post in the thread...

You expect me to go all the way back to the top of the page?
snooty.gif

So what do you fools think of this album? Apart from needing one more rocker in place of one of the slow tempo numbers, I think it's pretty great

I heard a fair bit of this album playing at the record store today, and it sounded damn good.

I have not listened to this yet. I don't know if I will. Do you want me to, JT? Should I?

I think you should. I want you to

I heard a fair bit of this album playing at the record store today, and it sounded damn good.

It gets really slow paced toward the end, but even those songs are quite good. It doesn't feel like a comeback record. It feels natural

There are too many slow jamz on this one. And not enough heroin abuse to make the most of them a la Dog Man Star.

But I'm nitpicking, this album is way better than I thought it would be.

What do you suppose Laz would say if I were to say this one is better than Coming Up?

Listening to Dog Man Star right now. I had forgotten that a downbeat second half is pretty much par for the course. Even then, nothing like Still Life on the new one to finish me off good and proper, if you get my meaning

Lemel, definitely hearing the Pulp sounds in Hit Me. Ironically, when I first heard Do You Remember the First Time back in '94, I was convinced it was a Suede song I hadn't heard before. In the days before widespread interweb, it took me forever to figure out it was Pulp and have the record store order His 'n Hers for me. It's the same fuzzed out guitar sound

Back
Top Bottom