Stone Roses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
To those interested....I was reading the self titled debut album from The Stone Roses is to be remastered and released to celebrate its 20th anniversary this year. Think its due in May:drool:

I wouldn't say best, but hell yes, that shit is important ... a lot of things I love came after this album and of course, infuenced by it. Anyway, it's a very good album.

I adore the Stone Roses. Al lot of ppl knock the "Second Coming" album, but i think its excellent....but lets be honest....the first offering was a hard act to follow.

To those interested....I was reading the self titled debut album from The Stone Roses is to be remastered and released to celebrate its 20th anniversary this year. Think its due in May:drool:

Is it going to have bonus material, or are they just remastering the album?

I like a handful of songs from this album and understand how important and influential it was. But I haven't been able to get into each and every song like I have for my top favorites like say, Achtung, OkC, Automatic, Abbey, Dark Side etc.

Please allow me to use Godzilla as an example of how I feel about The Stone Roses debut vs. any and everything Pearl Jam has ever made.

Godzilla is The Stone Roses Debut, Tokyo is Pearl Jam's entire catalog. Godzilla DESTROYS Tokyo. He stomps it, breaths fire on it, smashes it with his tail, etc. Tokyo just sits there and takes it, because there's nothing they can do to fight back.

That's just how it is, people. It's life. It's complicated and tough, but it's fair and enjoyable.

Whoa, whoa, hold up. Where the hell did that come from? This ain't a competition.

(obviously, I get very defensive when it comes to my Jam)

I even like Pearl Jam, just sayin', The Stone Roses debut is a friggin' monster. A Goliath. A legend. A entity all of its own. No other bands should be mentioned in the presence of their debut album. You should all make sacrifices to their debut on the altar of music nightly. A hush of silence and reverence should happen each time their name is mentioned. This is all A FACT. Its just how it is. It's how God wanted it to be. It was foreordained to happen. Prophets foretold the emergence of their debut for centuries, the Dead Sea scrolls spend 54% of the time talking about how awesome 'She Bangs the Drums' would be, and another 22% about how sweet 'I Wanna Be Adored' would be. It's science.

I even like Pearl Jam, just sayin', The Stone Roses debut is a friggin' monster. A Goliath. A legend. A entity all of its own. No other bands should be mentioned in the presence of their debut album. You should all make sacrifices to their debut on the altar of music nightly. A hush of silence and reverence should happen each time their name is mentioned. This is all A FACT. Its just how it is. It's how God wanted it to be. It was foreordained to happen. Prophets foretold the emergence of their debut for centuries, the Dead Sea scrolls spend 54% of the time talking about how awesome 'She Bands the Drums' would be, and another 22% about how sweet 'I Wanna Be Adored' would be. It's science.

I have a hard time believing you prefer London Calling to this.

pearl jam :drool:

stone roses :drool:

Man, I haven't slept in like 48 hours. Something's telling me that I need to do something about that.

Don't you think you ought to rest? Don't you think you ought to lay your head downnnnn tonight?

I have a hard time believing you prefer London Calling to this.

Oh, but I do! I prefer many albums to it. That does not change the scientific facts I previously shared.

The Stone Roses were the resurrection and they were the life.

Beautiful album, a masterpiece, my second favourite album of all time. Every song is quality, it's just some are a little more outstanding than others (Adored, Drums, Made Of Stone, This Is The One).

Great album, but their catalogue is one of the worse mastered catalugues I can think of, I really hope they not only remaster it but slightly remix it...

Please allow me to use Godzilla as an example of how I feel about The Stone Roses debut vs. any and everything Pearl Jam has ever made.

Godzilla is The Stone Roses Debut, Tokyo is Pearl Jam's entire catalog. Godzilla DESTROYS Tokyo. He stomps it, breaths fire on it, smashes it with his tail, etc. Tokyo just sits there and takes it, because there's nothing they can do to fight back.

That's just how it is, people. It's life. It's complicated and tough, but it's fair and enjoyable.

I even like Pearl Jam, just sayin', The Stone Roses debut is a friggin' monster. A Goliath. A legend. A entity all of its own. No other bands should be mentioned in the presence of their debut album. You should all make sacrifices to their debut on the altar of music nightly. A hush of silence and reverence should happen each time their name is mentioned. This is all A FACT. Its just how it is. It's how God wanted it to be. It was foreordained to happen. Prophets foretold the emergence of their debut for centuries, the Dead Sea scrolls spend 54% of the time talking about how awesome 'She Bangs the Drums' would be, and another 22% about how sweet 'I Wanna Be Adored' would be. It's science.

DSC04164.JPG

Amazing band, their debut is one of the greatest albums I've heard. I Am the Resurrection would probably get into my top 5 songs in rock music, that track is heaven. Second Coming is a very solid 2nd effort that doesn't deserve the bad rep it has, some great tracks on it.

Although the Pearl Jam comparisons are ludicrous, since the two bands have nothing in common, I'll bite. To me, a major aspect of a great band is being amazing live. Stone Roses were crap in that department, mainly because Ian Brown can't sing for shit. And I don't have to mention that PJ is one of the best live bands in the history of music. Hyperbole my ass.

To me, a major aspect of a great band is being amazing live. Stone Roses were crap in that department, mainly because Ian Brown can't sing for shit.

He sings ok in the albums. It's a pity he could never sing properly live.

How strange to see this thread, I spent a lot of this weekend reading old NMEs from 86-92 and lots and lots and lots of Manchester/Roses/Mondays stories, and the album, and Ally Pally and Spike Island and the trashing of Silvertone and the court case, and where it all went to shit. Magic time though :up:

Fantastic album :drool:

The Stone Roses will always be one of my favourite bands, and that debut album deserves all the praise it gets. It's a fantastic collection of songs. In my opinion i think from 1987-1990 they were equal to any band on the planet!

And as for being crap live, check out this performance of i am the resurrection, from 4.00 minutes onwards it's just legendary, not many bands including pearl jam will ever reach that level of musicianship.

YouTube - Stone Roses - I am the Resurrection Live Blackpool '89

Back
Top Bottom