Stephen Malkmus -- Real Emotional Trash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
Leaked.

ole-772_300.gif

If you liked the classic rock-styled Pig Lib, you're going to love it. It has more in common with that than the more Pavement-esque Face the Truth or the catchy storytelling of the self-titled debut. This leans heavier on the psychedelic side, with more guitar solos than you can shake a stick at. Janet Weiss from Sleater-Kinney is a great addition to the band (not just on drums but her heavenly backing vocals as well), and prevents it from getting too hippie-dippie. The Jicks are really on fire this time. Musically the most accomplished album, and that probably includes Pavement.

The big star here, though--Malkmus' guitar is just a magic wand. I've long thought he was the best guitarist in rock and roll and this just solidifies it. The 10 minute-long title track...fucking INSANE. Other highlights are Baltimore, Out of Reaches, Gardenia... hell, they're all good.

I do not feel I'm exaggerating when I say this is the best thing S.M. has done since the demise of Pavement, and while it may not have the high points of Terror Twilight, you could easily make the case that it's a better album.

Release date is March 4th.

Well, it depends on what you're into. Like I said, if you're a fan of the jammy solo stuff (No More Shoes, Witch Mountain Bridge, 1% of One), it has an overflow of riches. If you like it more quirky and song-based (Jo Jo's Jacket, Dark Wave, Pencil Rot), it won't appeal as much.

There are some catchier tunes on there, esp. Out of Reaches, Gardenia, We Can't Help You. But the average song length is over 5.5 minutes, so it's one that you need to listen to a few times to really absorb. With the exception of Wowee Zowee, this might be the longest album he's put out.

Wowee Zowee is better than Jesus.

Anyway, I'm surprised with how much I don't hate this record. In fact, I straight-up like it! Amazing! I'm not too much of a fan of late-Pavement or any of Malky's solo stuff, but this one's pretty all right. I have no major complaints.

I look forward to hearing things from this. Have they decided a single or song they're pushing for it?

I liek u guyz caus u guyz like pAvemnts

Well Pitchfork posted a link to download Baltimore over a month ago, definitely one of the highlights, and this week they linked to Cold Son, which didn't grab me when I first heard it. For some reason on the album (it's track 3) I'm really digging it and it's catchier than I thought.

Personally I think they should release Gardenia, far and away the catchiest on the album, and it's also the shortest song at just under 3 minutes.

Cool, I'll take a looksie on Pitchfork this evening and check out both tunes.

Bryan Bell was the only person I recognized without realizing the list of people in it was in the description. Sad I didn't recognize Ratatat, considering I've seen them live and used to use one of their pictures as my avatar....

Great song. I just listened to this record yesterday at work too. :up:

I recognized Girl Talk, but that was it. :reject:

:drool:

I haven't even watched them yet, but I already know it will be stellar. :up:

Oh, it so is. It's close to 10 minutes long, with the whole band jamming out random bits of various R.E.M. songs. :drool:

:ohmy:

I didn't realize there were others...I saw the R.E.M. covers video on another site, which linked to the Blogotheque site, which apparently has lots of Malkmus videos. :hyper:

Yep, I can now vouch for all of the videos' awesomeness. Top notch. :up:

I love take away shows, so that should be no exception.

I assume most of you guys have heard Pavement's "The Unseen Power of the Picket Fence" right? Best R.E.M. tribute ever.

"Unseen Power of the Picket Fence" is great! R.E.M. ends up fighting Sherman? So bad-ass! :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom