Springsteen VIII - 2014, tour, album, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew up on the CD version of Born to Run and the liner notes in the CD (I'm assuming they're the same in the original vinyl, etc) have it as "waves".

So that's what I've always heard and thought. Sways does make sense, though, because of the more direct rhyme. Either way it might still be favorite song of all-time by any artist.

Also, phanan, I'm pretty sure the original CD liner notes for BITUSA say "skull" in I'm On Fire.

God it was magical discovering those albums for the first time. BTR, Darkness, and BITUSA were the three Bruce CDs I first owned and loved and they will always be my three favorite Bruce albums.

I got rid of my original Born To Run CD a long time ago when the box set came out, so I don't recall, but I still have BITUSA, and I've had that since the late 80's, and it definitely says soul, but I swear he sings skull instead.

BITUSA is, not surprisingly, what got me into him, as I was 13 when it came out. It may not have the substance of the 70's albums, but it is fantastic pop rock for its time.

I'm really looking forward to that box set whenever it comes out. I'd love for it to be a combination Nebraska/BITUSA set that properly navigates the journey of those recording sessions. He was just so prolific at the time.

Ah shit, memory is a funny thing. I believe you that it says "soul". Now I need to go find those CDs. I'm pretty sure I still have them sitting around somewhere.

I'm glad there's Bruce talk here as I've been listening to a lot of him the last month or so. I put Tunnel of Love on yesterday and "Tougher Than the Rest" hit me harder than it ever has before. Great track. That has never been a big album for me but it's finally growing in my mind.

The two Sox *are* in first place in their respective divisions right now, thank you for pointing that out.

I didn’t know until now that it was ever up for debate that her dress did anything other than sway. I also wasn’t aware I still had this app on my phone.

ACAB for sure, but Highway Patrolman is stunning. I just found out today that Sean Penn made an entire damn movie based on the song.

I didn't think Bruce's vocal with the Killers was that great, but man, it's strong on this.

Unfortunately, it's the best thing about this version, which otherwise sounds like it was made through a transistor radio.

I didn't think Bruce's vocal with the Killers was that great, but man, it's strong on this.

Unfortunately, it's the best thing about this version, which otherwise sounds like it was made through a transistor radio.

Yeah, Eddie's vocals just aren't what they used to be. I hate to say it. He's one of my musical heroes and favorite songwriters. But his voice has been going downhill for a while now.

Bruce does sound fiery on the track. And thanks for posting that Nebraska outtake. I'll give it a listen soon.

the "hey, let's remind everyone that i was the guitar player in rage against the machine instead of just playing the fucking song" bridge is highly unnecessary. would have been a much better take without that part.

i wonder if this is a true studio take or if the vocals were isolated and pulled from when eddie joined the band to cover this in australia a bunch of times a few years back (when Tom was filling in for Steve)

So many forums is this ridiculously unfunny Australia thing going to be spammed across over the next few weeks?

So many forums is this ridiculously unfunny Australia thing going to be spammed across over the next few weeks?

Only Americans continuing it now, the mature down under legion have stopped ;)

Pitchfork reviewed Born in the USA on Sunday, I was shocked they'd never reviewed it before. It was great to learn more about Springsteen's relationship with Stevie Van Zandt and how it played out around the time.

I find the record to be way too much personally, and I think My Hometown is boring, but it's certainly got a handful of awesome songs.

I love the debut, more so than Born in the USA, but I know I'm alone on that. I liked when Van Morrison and Bob Dylan made up the bulk of his influences.

Bruce never made a remotely weak album until 1992.

For what it's worth, if I had to put one on, it would be Asbury Park, because I still don't know the songs that well and there's nothing I actively dislike, unlike Dancing in the Dark, which I don't really want to hear ever again.

I can respect the songwriting on BITUSA but the instrumentation and production is dated and cheesy as hell. I could make a less cringe playlist from the best of Human Touch/Lucky Town.

Back
Top Bottom