Springsteen VIII - 2014, tour, album, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Up today is Human Touch, which has me wondering if I haven't accidentally put on a Huey Lewis album.

I'm going back through a lot of Bruce's catalogue, and now listening to Tunnel of Love, I'm surprised that Brilliant Disguise has been the de facto "best of" song when Tougher than the Rest is such a stellar track.

Tougher is my fave as well, but Brilliant Disguise was a great choice as the lead single, signifying a complete change from the previous album.

Tougher should have been a single though, probably in between the title track and One Step Up.

Tougher is my fave as well, but Brilliant Disguise was a great choice as the lead single, signifying a complete change from the previous album.

I totally thought the title track was the lead single, but you're right. What's weird is that Tunnel Of Love was the second single, and released just 2 weeks later. WTF?

Tunnel of Love is one of my favorite songs that transports me to another place.

I listened to it so much during my sophomore year of college. Every time I hear it, it's like I can instantly see and feel everything that I was doing at that exact time.

I have similar attachments to Ultra Violet and 8th grade. Some songs can just get so intricately tied to one time and place. It's crazy.

That's what I liked about the war on drugs' "baby missiles." I mean, if you're going to mimic that sort of 80s synth sound, you better get that tremendously dated part right. Whether that's what the song is supposed to sound like, or sounds like to anyone else, aside...it's a weirdly good kind of dated.

I'm a bad Springsteen fan, though. I haven't heard anything from High Hopes yet.

Live Recordings officially starting to come up now :hyper:

Bruce Springsteen Official Store

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Finally gave this a listen. There are some great tracks on here, especially Down in the Hole, and I appreciate the "fuck off, I'm having fun" vibe of Frankie Fell in Love. I was really digging Tom Joad as well until Morrello spews possibly the most self-indulgent and needless guitar solo I've ever heard all over it. So overall a mixed bag, I suppose.

Hell no. Amazing solo, great performance of the song, faithful to those fantastic live performances they did together.

Hell no. Amazing solo, great performance of the song, faithful to those fantastic live performances they did together.

The original is one of my favorite Bruce songs, so I guess I was going in skeptical. But that solo especially robs the song of its haunting quality. I take it as a song about quiet resolve rather than fiery anger.

The one time I saw Bruce this last tour, he played This Depression and Tom Morello delivered one of his trademark solos for it. Fucking floored me.

As much as I a) like the original b) am bored with 95% of what Morrello does, there's a c) considering that the rage cover of the song was the first version of it I ever heard, so maybe that's why I'm totally cool with this.

Now you know how Perth felt for 40 years :wink:

Ha... fair enough.

It's just odd because 2013 was literally only the second year in his entire musical career where he didn't play a single New Jersey show. The other year was during his post Born in the USA move to California weirs conflict of art days... and now we have dates through May and still nothing for the area.

It's great that he's getting to places he's never been to though... perhaps he feels that he had over saturated the market and if he stays away long enough the next shows he does schedule will be all the better.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Ha... fair enough.

It's just odd because 2013 was literally only the second year in his entire musical career where he didn't play a single New Jersey show.

Are you sure?

Did he play shows in New Jersey or the New York City area in 1979, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1998, 2001, 2010, and 2011? I mean real shows, not just randomly showing up at a bar to play?

Are you sure?

Did he play shows in New Jersey or the New York City area in 1979, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1998, 2001, 2010, and 2011? I mean real shows, not just randomly showing up at a bar to play?

Small club shows and appearances are counted in that streak.

But thanks.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Back
Top Bottom