Springsteen VIII - 2014, tour, album, etc. - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #681
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:07 AM
For what it's worth, I agree Headache that Power of Prayer and House of 1000 Guitars are the weaker tracks and if one were streamlining the album they could be dropped with no big loss. They're not bad songs or offensive but don't jump out. Maybe bumping up Ghosts or I Was The Priest and putting it between those two would help, I don't know.

I liked Western Stars a lot, it's an interesting experiment or detour. But there's not a single song on there that reaches the heights of the "old" tracks on Letter To You, IMO.

I just listened to Magic again this morning after not having heard it for ages due to my CD going missing. It's a very solid album and I can see why Consequence of Sound (I think that's who it was) ranked it the highest of all his post-1980s work. Livin' in the Future is about as close as Bruce has got to the classic E-Street sound as he ever did again, and there's just a lot of pop greatness on there. But just as with the new one, there are a few anonymous/generic tracks that could be dropped, like Gypsy Biker, I'll Work For Your Love, Last To Die. It's more consistent than The Rising but doesn't hit as hard thematically and emotionally. But Magic does seem like more of an E-Street album than The Rising, so a bit of a toss-up for me.

Wrecking Ball is one that I honestly haven't spent a lot of time with despite liking it when it came out, so I'll give that another spin today.

I will say that the relative consistency and prolificness from 2000-onward is very impressive, especially compared to U2. But while the latter artist has made some head-slapping blunders of taste and marketing, I will say that the albums themselves tend to be a lot less homogenous than Bruce's; that is to say that on each of the last 5 studio albums, each song carves its own lyrical and sonic identity, even the ones I strongly dislike. So the Bruce albums usually tend to overstay their welcome or contain redundant/indistinct songs that wind up being forgettable, whereas with U2 it's more likely there will be a song that I'll remove from my custom tracklisting because it bothers me so much, but it never feels like they're going through the motions.

Ultimately, the result winds up being the same in the sense that they could both use a stronger editorial instinct. Bruce plays it safer to an extend and thereby avoids the ridicule and contempt that will flare up with U2.

It's just a lot of fun to go hard into Bruce's discography again because I don't do it too often.

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:30 AM   #682
Refugee

Local Time: 04:07 AM
Bit late here but I just listened to the title track. Joy. Unbridled joy. This man, this band, these guys, these brothers are very special. Need to get the album ASAP.

And yes Magic is up there, right up there, in the highest echelon, with anything before it. I love that album.

AndrewCowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #683
Blue Crack Supplier

Waiting for El Mel to pop back in here again...

Also, I listened to Workin' on a Dream yesterday. This seems to be the scapegoat for the last couple decades, and it's not hard to see why. While I find it pleasant overall, it's definitely not on the level of the two E-Street reunion albums that preceded it, nor is it as good as Bruce's two most recent.

Just not enough highlights, and Queen of the Supermarket...oof.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #684
Blue Crack Distributor

Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Local Time: 02:07 PM
I always felt that Working on a Dream was just something that they pushed out as an excuse to tour as they knew that Clarence likely wasn't going to be able to perform for much longer.

Obviously I don't think they thought he would pass - but I'd you listen to that last show in Buffalo you can kind of hear how they felt it was the end of something.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #685
Blue Crack Addict

There's just nothing that stands out as a classic or even near classic on that album. Outlaw Pete probably comes closest. And the lows are truly godawful.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #686
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm a big fan of Outlaw Pete and The Last Carnival, but the best track from Working On A Dream wasn't even on the album proper - The Wrestler.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:01 AM   #687
Blue Crack Addict

Forgot about The Last Carnival. Yes, that's a good one. And right there with you on The Wrestler.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #688
Blue Crack Supplier

So, bit of a funny story here: I've been listening to almost the entire Bruce catalog this week, and on a whim decided to search on eBay for that Super Deluxe set for The River from a few years back called The Ties That Bind. I had bought a used copy of the remastered album at Amoeba a year or so ago but it was pretty cheap so I wasn't too reluctant to double-dip.

Someone was selling the set for cheap but without the hardcover book, then another person was selling the book separately, I was waffling on both. But then someone had the full set for auction, which was ending a week later so I decided to wait and try my luck. Oddly enough, it stayed under $20 until the last day, and right before the auction ended at like 1am I threw down a max bid of $34 and won it. Also the listing was Free Shipping so I figure got a really good deal here.

The next morning I get a message from the seller saying that he made a mistake with the item description: apparently he had claimed it included 3 Blu-rays but there are actually only 2 in the set. I didn't even notice this but had already checked the specs to make sure everything was there. There's also a little paperback "composition book" containing Bruce's handwritten lyrics that was supposed to be in the set but is missing. Because of these inaccuracies, he said he's refunding my money and just sending it out to me for no charge??

As far as I can tell, all the audio and video discs are accounted for, so this lyrics book is literally the only thing not there, and it's honestly not something I care much about. I'm really looking forward to watching the documentary about the album, and checking out the outtakes disc, and the live show, which from what I've heard was heavily edited down for some inexplicable reason.

SCORE!
Old 11-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #689
Blue Crack Supplier

Well if you got it for free, its a score for sure.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #690
Blue Crack Supplier

Are you not a fan of the set? I'm not expecting the outtakes to be on the level of The Promise but there's a LOT.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #691
Blue Crack Addict

I love the set. Most of the outtakes were previously available on Tracks, but they are just superb, and then to have the original Ties That Bind album is a fantastic touch. Imagine that, including the actual unreleased album even though a few of the tracks are already on the regular album in similar form.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #692
Blue Crack Supplier

I already own Tracks, but haven't listened to it in a while so haven't made the comparison.

But I also got that box for super cheap so it's all good.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #693
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Are you not a fan of the set? I'm not expecting the outtakes to be on the level of The Promise but there's a LOT.
Not what I meant, meant that regardless of what may be missing, it was free so a definite score.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #694
Blue Crack Addict

Listened to The River Outtakes for the first time in a while, spurred on by its mention here. He could have released an album based on these as a follow-up to The River and it would have been an incredible release. It's as good as the album itself, although perhaps not as varied.

As with The Promise, he does incorporate some modern vocals, but it's limited to only a handful of songs here: Meet Me In The City (although oddly enough it starts with a vintage count-in), Night Fire, Whitetown, and Chain Lightning. The rest is pure 1979-1980 Bruce, and they are just a treasure trove of peak E Street.

About half of the songs were previously released on Tracks, so the value may not be the same as The Promise, but those songs are so good it doesn't matter. Loose Ends, for example, is one of my all-time favorite songs of his, just tremendous. The version on The Ties That Bind is superior to the standard outtake, using more of a nice jangly guitar than keyboards. Take "Em As They Come is another favorite, with a great thumping bass. Stray Bullet is similar to Point Blank but just as powerful. And The Man That Got Away shows Bruce in fine vocal form.

Not sure why they didn't submit this as its own release like The Promise, as it's just as good of a release as that one, and I personally prefer it - I've always loved The River era, even if the album itself is generally considered a tad below its predecessor. I'm guessing it's because of the aforementioned Tracks songs having already been out there for a while.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:21 PM   #695
Blue Crack Distributor

The River is one of my favorite Bruce songs, I've seen him 10 times, one of which was a tour named The River Tour, and I've never heard him play it live.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #696
Blue Crack Addict

I can’t imagine it missed too many shows on its namesake tour. That sucks.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #697
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Not sure why they didn't submit this as its own release like The Promise, as it's just as good of a release as that one, and I personally prefer it - I've always loved The River era, even if the album itself is generally considered a tad below its predecessor. I'm guessing it's because of the aforementioned Tracks songs having already been out there for a while.
Yeah, I would have blind-bought a River outtakes set like The Promise.

For some reason, Darkness on the Edge of Town has never quite clicked with me. Not that I dislike it, and I understand the desire for a hard left turn after Born to Run. But I just don't get the pleasure out of it that I do with a fair number of Bruce's other albums. Personally I feel you could make an alternate album from those sessions that would blow it out of the water, using a few of what made the cut and the best tracks from The Promise. And especially switching out the versions of Racing In The Street.

I much prefer The River to Darkness, as it seems to strike a balance between classic E-Street and the rougher elements he wanted to explore. And I just love the nods to "that old time rock & roll". It's a double album that doesn't overstay its welcome in the slightest, and is completely free of pretension that often accompanies them. It doesn't quite have the variety of The White Album but it doesn't have its low points either.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:09 AM   #698
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
The River is one of my favorite Bruce songs, I've seen him 10 times, one of which was a tour named The River Tour, and I've never heard him play it live.
I understand your disappointment in that. I went to his show on The River Tour here hoping to hear gems from that album like Point Blank, Independence Day, Stolen Car, Drive All Night, etc. None of those were played. I believe he even played more songs from Born In The U.S.A. (the warhorses) than from The River.
I know I should not be disappointed as I got to hear Jungleland and Jersey Girl, but still.
Popmartijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #699
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
I understand your disappointment in that. I went to his show on The River Tour here hoping to hear gems from that album like Point Blank, Independence Day, Stolen Car, Drive All Night, etc. None of those were played. I believe he even played more songs from Born In The U.S.A. (the warhorses) than from The River.

I know I should not be disappointed as I got to hear Jungleland and Jersey Girl, but still.
Oh don't get me wrong, the show I went to might be the greatest concert I've ever seen. He went for 4 hours. I just really want to see him play the damn River.

MetLife Stadium, August 25, 2016
The River Tour 2016

Setlist
New York City Serenade (with string section)
Prove It All Night
Night
No Surrender
Wrecking Ball
Sherry Darling
Spirit in the Night
My City of Ruins (sign request)
Waitin' on a Sunny Day (sign request f/ 3 year old girl)
Darkness on the Edge of Town (sign request)
Lost in the Flood (sign request)
Hungry Heart
Out in the Street
Death to My Hometown (with Tom Morello)
Youngstown
Jack of All Trades (with string section)
American Skin (41 Shots) (with Tom Morello)
The Promised Land
Cadillac Ranch
I'm a Rocker
Tougher Than the Rest
Because the Night
The Rising
The Ghost of Tom Joad (with Tom Morello)
Badlands (with Tom Morello)

Encore:
Backstreets
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Shout (The Isley Brothers cover)
Thunder Road
Jersey Girl (Tom Waits cover) (with on-stage fan proposal)
Old 11-10-2020, 10:24 AM   #700
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
He went for 4 hours.
Are you sure it wasn't Sting?

That is one damned good show. Although only getting one song from Wild/Innocent wouldn't cut it for me, even if it was the opener.

Tags
bruce, bruce springsteen, high hopes, springsteen