Songs you generally like, despite having the worst intros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Here's another in a series of threads inspired by my commute home from work. My favorite song by The Offspring came on and I couldn't get over how much I absolutely hate the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHfY6VTRUFk

There seem to be a lot of songs in the world that try so hard to have a catchy hook to start things off, and they end up being super painful. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7YguFAMw4

Any other examples to share?

I like the general tone of these last two threads I've made, "Hey, talk about something you hate about things you love!" It appeals to all Interference peoples.

Hahahaha I knew California would be in the original post.

I suspect I wouldn't hate Red Light half as much if it weren't for that dumb intro.

Here's one: Crowded House's Kill Eye. I really fucking hate that little sample at the start. Same goes for GG 300 by Able Tasmans.

I can't find the second song you mentioned :sad:.

The first one was pretty bad, though...though honestly that song doesn't get much better :p

It baffles me how up and down Temple Of Low Men is. You have a top five Crowded House song starting the album, I Feel Possessed, and then the second track is fucking Kill Eye? I don't mind the song too much as a whole, but that opening sample makes me wince.

GG 300 is a legitimately good Able Tasmans song with a dumb sample, but it seems the video that used to be on YouTube has been taken down. :(

If I sat down to make a big list for this thread, I suspect most of them would be songs with unnecessary or terrible samples rather than anything musical. Hell, I even think that little sample at the start of Crowded House's Private Universe is completely pointless.

The album version of Reflektor by Arcade Fire with the ungodly long intro.

For U2, let's go with the album version of Discotheque.

i am trying so hard to come up with something wiht this, but i realize I like songs when I love their intro. Srry......
Exception being california. OR could be studio version of Sort of Homecoming

The beginning of Rocky Racoon is the worst thing I can think of right now, absolutely hate the way Paul sounds for the first line.

Maybe You And Whose Army? I adore that song now but I used to skip it after the first line or so because Thom sounds drunk and underwater.

I used to think I would like blood for blood's "so common so cheap" better without the intro, but the rest of the song isn't actually any better.

The first one that comes to mind is History by The Verve - amazing song but those strings in the first 5-10 seconds are almost unbearably shrill.

On the flip side, the first four seconds of John Lennon singing the title of the Beatles' cover of Mr Moonlight is great, then the song instantly turns into the worst pile of shit they ever recorded.

The original "Winter" by U2. The one from Linear or whatever, not the later piano version from the Portman film.

The intro is too reminiscent of the then recently released Coldplay track "Viva La Vida". Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The rest of the track is solid.

Fuck.

The intro to Hippychick used to piss me off, because I would always think How Soon Is Now? was coming up. Overall though, it's not a bad tune.

And yes, I realize neither song has been played on the radio for 20 years anyway.

Last edited:
Like when Paper Planes tricked me into thinking I was about to hear Straight to Hell?

Still angry about that one.

STREETS??

WHAT THE FUCK?

Seriously? That organ, spiralling in like a dust devil across the desert... can't wait for the friggin chorus? That stuff is magical.

The intro makes the song something truly special.

I also like the California intro.

I can't think of anything by the way. Intros are pretty important it seems.

Back
Top Bottom