Something for Kate - Leave Your Soul to Science

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't wait to see them in June. Hoping I get Monsters this time.

I did :)

Been a fan since 01, first saw Paul live in 09, seen him and SFK once each since, and have never heard it. Finally did last night.

Another great show. Clint Hyndman is fucking awesome on the drums. He lost about 15 drumsticks throughout the course of the night from belting the kit so hard.

I don't think any band does covers better. They did Hunters and Collectors' When the River Runs Dry to absolute perfection and they did Sweet Nothing as well, which was a very welcome surprise.

I am VERY excited for this. I have been very patiently waiting for this album for seven years. Everything is True was my fav album of 2009 along with Embryonic and I still come back to it a lot.

First single being played on JJ and JJJ tomorrow, along with what I'm assuming will be the album announcement, then single's released Thursday.

12687952_10154583529273712_5676327499259948699_n.jpg

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

7 years? Geez. I'm not always excited for solo releases from members of bands I like but I reckon I'll give this a go too when it's out.

I remember his solo album relatively well, and well, I liked it more than the one or two Something for Kate albums that immediately preceded it. Paul Dempsey's a talented guy. Sometimes I think of him as Australia's Matt Berninger.

His other strength is covers; this has inspired me to try and find the one of him doing 'When The River Runs Dry' that I came across a while back on youbutt.

I remember his solo album relatively well, and well, I liked it more than the one or two Something for Kate albums that immediately preceded it. Paul Dempsey's a talented guy. Sometimes I think of him as Australia's Matt Berninger.

That's a pretty good comparison. Very idiosyncratic in his country's scene, like Matt.

His other strength is covers; this has inspired me to try and find the one of him doing 'When The River Runs Dry' that I came across a while back on youbutt.

His covers are sensational, as we've discussed earlier in this thread. I saw them do that live and it was great.

The song 'Three Dimensions' is astounding. The album 'Echolalia'... eh, it slumps a bit. Most of their albums slump a bit. Stops me from being a hardcore fan.

The only thing off that album that I'm particularly ambivalent towards is You Only Hide. I find it remarkably consistent with great song after great song. Reminds me, I haven't properly spent time with The Official Fiction or Desert Lights.

Yeah, You Only Hide was the low point I was thinking of. It's ok I guess, but yeah, it slumps a bit.

When the Official Fiction was current, and getting promoted on the radio, nothing off it grabbed me in the slightest. In fact they didn't really swim back into view for me until Leave Your Soul To Science.

^Neither have I. In fact, Echolalia is the only one I've spent significant time with. Elsewhere for 8 Minutes to a lesser extent (if they weren't Australian, Captain (Million Miles an Hour) would be considered a 90s "alternative" masterpiece with all the Pavements and Smashing Pumpkins and Weezers of the world).

I love Echolalia though, with you Vlad. Monsters remains one of my all-time favourite songs, and Three Dimensions ain't far behind. There's plenty more great songs: Twenty Years, Jerry Stand Up, Stunt Show, Old Pictures, Feeding the Birds, I've always liked You Only Hide as well.

I think their last album, Leave Your Soul to Science, is terrific as well. Sometimes SFK's music can seem very heavy, slow, deliberate, almost like it's mired, and Leave Your Soul to Science was a nice change from that. That's why I liked his solo record so much, because it had a levity to it the band's music has lacked.

I think there was a period there where he/they could have become very mired indeed. Not sure if there's much point trying to distinguish Something for Kate from solo Paul Dempsey, as it feels like the latter is just what happens when the former are busy with their restaurants et cetera.

Happy Endings is my personal favourite. Great keyboard, fantastic chorus - and feels like a snapshot of the atmosphere of the early 2000s in the world that I remember.

I did really enjoy Leave Your Soul To Science as well. Above all I would really like to anticipate a new album from them.

It's a shame Twenty Years isn't remembered as fondly as Monsters and Three Dimensions. I think it's at least the equal of those songs. It's got the best guitar on the album. I like Happy Endings too.

They'll release another album eventually. Suspect once he's finished with the current go-around they'll get back in the studio. I'm not sure what Steph does outside of the band off the top of my head but Clint has kids and runs a few pubs, so I think he's pretty non-fussed.

SO! Paul Dempsey's latest solo album, Strange Loop, is out. I listened finally tonight. It was recorded at Wilco's Loft and you can hear the influence on tracks like Strange Loop, Blindspot, Nobody's Trying to Tell Me Something.

It is a very different album to Everything is True, his first solo album, that he released in 2009. That was much more folksy, this is more full-band and alt-rock than that. But it's really, really good.

It starts very strongly with The True Sea and the title track. Idiot Oracle is great too.

Lifetime Supply is an absolutely tremendous song, the best here on first listen, really hits you right in the feels. I would say it, along with Iris Black and The True Sea and Strange Loop, are the best songs on first listen. Hey History and Volunteers are the only songs I'm not big on straight away, and neither are bad.

Lifetime Supply's guitar hook is incredibly reminiscent of the guitar part in Pink Floyd's Echoes, from 18:13 to 18:43.

Back
Top Bottom