Sleater-Kinney returns with No Cities To Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Augh, it was a busy-ish day in B&C and I missed this thread when I started mine because it was halfway down the page.

Why the hell does this have no replies yet?

Never been a big fan, but I smile whenever I'm driving south on I-5 around Olympia and see the Sleater-Kinney exit.

They also tweeted that more tour dates were coming, which is good, because no way in hell is their only WA date in fucking Spokane.

Interesting. I remember a while back Carrie Brownstein indicating that Wild Flag project was extinct, and vague talk of a Sleater-Kinney album 'sometime in the next five years' (which I interpreted as 'sometime between now and never'). And now it's a thing?

Hope it's a good one. They went out on one hell of a high; one of those bands that (and in fairness their earlier stuff isn't always my cup of tea) seemingly got steadily better and better and then just fell off a cliff. Well, from what I can gather, it was Corin Tucker pretty much losing interest.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of this band, but I did enjoy the new track a hell of a lot. Maybe I should take a look back at their discography.

I think their best album is the last one, The Woods, though it's not quite representative of the sound that made them so acclaimed and loved.

The album right before that, One Beat, is also fantastic, and still sounds like classic S-K.

Can't go wrong there. I imagine many people would tell you to start with an earlier album but whatever. The band essentially kept getting better and better.

The Hot Rock is another great one. Either way, Corin Tucker's vibrato is not for everyone.

I think their best album is the last one, The Woods, though it's not quite representative of the sound that made them so acclaimed and loved.

I listened to this today and loved it. Some of that guitar work is ferocious.

Listened to The Woods this past weekend and it's great. First exposure to the band too.

The new song is cool too but a little close to that Franz Ferdinand song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Woods is excellent. :rockon:

I didn't like this one on first listen that much.

It's only half an hour long and I was waiting for it to end, so that can't be a great sign.

No, that's unfair. There is some good stuff there. Not a lot of light and shade maybe. I'll have to listen some more some time.

It's a bit more one-note than previous releases and lacks their earlier vitality (unsurprisingly). Has the disconcerting feeling of a band trying to ape what they did best in the past.

However, there's individual songs that are just plain astouding. I mean, "Bury Our Friends"? Holy fucking shit. :up:

Better upon a second listen...

The title track, A New Wave and Bury Our Friends seem to be standing out (and also Price Tag, actually. Oh, and Fade). Still not sure the whole thing really feels like an album, but ok.

I think Gimme Love threw me off the first time. That sort of stuff is just lazy noise, for them. Short shouty numbers are fine, but come on.

Feels like this thing was announced ages ago. I really need to listen to the stream tomorrow.

Like it, don't love it. I've not listened to them before this album, so I'm coming in without context. There are some really strong songs on here.

Although I loved Sleater Kinney from their very beginnings, I somehow never caught them live. So I was more than happy when a new album and tour were announced, as this meant that I would finally be able to make up for a 20 years' omission.

I just got home from their SF gig, and dare I say it, I enjoyed it more than my past three U2 shows.

Great energy! Great sound! Great vibes! What a fantastic live band they are! Of course one can ALWAYS carp at the setlist and I wouldn't have objected 2 or 3 further kick-in-your-face-tunes and I would have jolted the place even more by cranking up the volumes to 12 instead of 10, but that's just me and in NO WAY does that impair the experience. It was a tremendous night!

Price Tag is such a PERFECT opener. And to get to hear a live rendition of The Fox is something I thought would never come true. But it did.

Some other highlights were Ironclad, Dig me Out, Gimme Love etc.

They sure have a repertoire of songs most bands can only dream of.

One of the finest shows I've ever been to.

Back
Top Bottom