Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I literally just learned about the ATYCLB box set because I clicked on one of the music video's U2 re-uploaded trying to figure out why they were posting old videos. I'm definitely out of the loop.

I don't think I've ever seen that before. I really like Edge's guitar playing there... it's so vastly different to anything he's put down on any of their studio albums.

I left a comment on the video because it’s crazy to see such a rough performance by a band who would in just 9 years release one of the greatest albums of all time. Such an incredible evolution.

It's good. So is the original. So is ATYCLB. So is all Shuttlecock. So is being drunk .

So, the mention of the band's YT channel re-uploading some videos in HD sent me down a wormhole of watching a whole bunch of their old videos for the first time in a long time. We don't often talk about the videos, so I thought I'd do a little ranking, a top 25.

A few general comments first: It's perhaps not surprising, but most of their really good, memorable videos are from 1987-1993, and particularly from AB and Zooropa.

Also, I'm not sure they'd made a single video worth remembering post-Bomb. I honestly wasn't even sure there were videos for the SOE tracks, I had to go look them up. And overall, they weren't worth the time imo. I think the whole artform is dying, if not dead already.

Finally, I'm not considering any "music videos" in my ranking that were just taken from long-form concert films, like SBS or Bad or WLCTT. Ok, that's it.

1. All I Want Is You

The best video they ever made imo. It's like an actual short film, and a poignant one at that. It's a whole story with a beginning, middle, and end, and it's well executed. I always thought the two main actors really did a lot with just their facial expressions. It's a shame it's one of the few Shuttlecock videos that isn't on YT in its entirety.

2. One(Berlin "Drag" Version)

We all know the saga of the three "One" videos. This was the first one shot but the last one released. I know some people have an aversion to the band in drag, but I think it was well done. One of the original interpretations of the song was that it was about a gay man being rejected by his father. The video didn't depict this directly, but it was sort of implied, particularly with Bono's own dad making a cameo. I think it was brave to make a video like this in 1991. It's unfortunate that they were so worried about people thinking they were re-enforcing a connection between AIDs and gayness that they got cold feet and felt like they had to make alternative videos for the song in order to limit this one's exposure, because it's one of their greatest imo. There's some really memorable imagery here, from the trabants to the drag to some of my favorite 'studio' footage of the band ever, when they're standing a circle and playing.

3. Miss Sarajevo

The footage of Sarajevo is taken from Bill Carter's documentary, and is pretty moving. The facts listed at the end bring it home.

4. Where The Streets Have No Name

All three of the JT videos are completely iconic. This one with the performance on top of an LA liquor shop is the best of the three, a snapshot of how in the zeitgeist the band were when JT came out.

5. Stay(Faraway, So Close)

Directed by Wim Wenders and based on his film, this video depicting the band as angels is one of their best.

6. Numb

Edge having shit done to his face seems like a dumb premise that wouldn't work, but the video is one of their most memorable, and really embodies the 'anything goes' attitude they had at that time. Can you even imagine them making a video like this now?

7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Bono walking down the street in Vegas is classic.

8. With Or Without You

Same. Best parts are the black-and-white parts.

9. Lemon

Like a silent film with subtitles, soundtracked with the song. One of their most abstract videos.

10. Even Better Than The Real Thing

Of all the Achtung videos, EBTTRT did the best job of portraying the sensory overload they were going for with ZooTV, with all the constant spinning around then all the TV channels at the end.

11. One(Buffalo Version)

The first released but second produced video for "One" was originally b-roll intended for the ZooTV screens, and was made into a video as a stop-gap when they got cold feet about the Drag video and the Bar video wasn't done. It may have been intended as a stop-gap, but there's something about its simplicity that remains moving, imo.

12. The Fly

The first Achtung video released in October 1991, this was perhaps the first time anyone saw Edge wearing a beanie, or Bono wearing the shades. It's an image of the band that has become standard, even parodied, but at the time it was shocking.

13. Beautiful Day

Their last truly iconic video. What really makes it is the last part on the runway. The shots of the planes flying over the band as they play are incredible.

14. Sweetest Thing

I'll always have a ton of nostalgia for this one, as it was the first video of theirs that came out after I got into them in 1998. I like Bono's Elvis Costello look, the "I'm sorry/I'm really sorry/I'm really really sorry" banners, Ali's appearance, and all the guest appearances. It's just a fun video. Another thing is, the rest of the band appear with their Pop looks for one of the last times, and the "U2 Heads" that look like the band circa ZooTV appear as well, so that combined with the sentimental nature of the song and the timing of its release make it feel like a kind of farewell to the band they were in the 90s.

15. Discotheque

I know, it got a lot of crap for the Village People stuff, but for me, even though it's pretty surface level and there's not much meaning to be found, it's still one of the most visually exciting videos they ever made. Love it.

16. New Year's Day

Their first really good music video, I think. Both the footage of the band in the snow and the war footage are evocative in their own right, but combined, it makes for their first classic video.

17. Pride

Pride was their first really big single in the States, and the sepia-toned video has a real vintage feel to it. Most memorable are the close-ups of Bono during the choruses and the part when he throws the mic away just as the last chorus is starting.

18. Until The End Of The World

I'm talking about the video that was only ever on the Interference VHS, NOT the live video from the Best Of 1990-2000. It's got some colorful psychedelic imagery, some stop-motion-ish footage of the band members, and Edge covered in plastic wrap. It sounds weird, but it works really well with the song. It's a shame it never got a wide release.

19. Mysterious Ways

Released just as Achtung was released in November of 1991, this one alternates between a distorted Bono and a belly dancer. This is where the belly dancing imagery long associated with song was introduced.

20. Staring At The Sun

I suspect I'm alone on this one, but I think they did some really cool-looking things with light against darkness in this one.

21. If God Will Send His Angels

Certainly a memorable one, with all the random people sitting in the booths in the diner.

22. Please

Anton Corbijn shot this one, with the poor people holding the 'Please' signs in black-and-white, and then the band playing in color at the end. I feel like this one was almost great, but couldn't quite decide what it wanted to be.

23. One(Bar Version)

This is iconic in its own right, with Bono just sitting there singing. Much less meaningful than either of the other two versions though, imo.

24. Unforgettable Fire

The parts in the snow are kind of derivative of the NYD video, but the stuff with the city and the carnival and the spinning carnival ride is well-done.

25. Original Of The Species

The song might not be your favorite, but the video was perhaps the last really visually interesting video they made, with all the digital heads. I like it.

Lemon is their best video for mine, though I haven't watched them in a LONG time, might do the same exercise as you soon. Good thinking :)

But Lemon captivated me, and did something remarkable - completely changed my opinion of the song. I was pretty sour on Lemon (heh) when I first heard it, because it just didn't sound that much like U2. Then I watched the video and I immediately "got" it.

Just to chime in with some you didn’t mention:

Last Night on Earth - I think I saw this on tv once and only once, but this was post-Sweetest Thing. An oddity, mostly notable for the single mix and Bono kicking that guy on the ground. The rarity makes it memorable for me.

Stuck in a Moment (van version) - This was on constantly in the winter of 2000, I’ll always associate it with that Christmas. Always wondered if it was filmed when the band were in Stockholm after that barnstorming performance at the MTV Awards because Bono had the same outfit at both. Much prefer the reputation motif than slow motion.

Elevation - Goofy and inescapable that summer. The last single I can remember my friends liking before they all hated U2 again. Cool single mix.

Walk On - Scenic I guess? Definitely an excuse for a working holiday.

Electrical Storm - Relatively ambitious to have an arty, narrative video starring your drummer for a one off single to sell a new collection. Not one I’d go back to but I admire it. I do like the performance on the beach over the last chorus.

Vertigo - Remember the hype when this came out? Through the fucking roof. It captures the momentum and force of the music and is even loose enough to have Adam goofing in the background.

Sometimes... - The acapella at the start is a nice touch but overall more straight ahead than what they could have done in the 90s.

All Because of You - The flatbead truck performance is pretty cool, almost literally a victory lap. Nice to have it saved for posterity as a music video than tucked away as an extra in a future rerelease.

Window in the Skies - Joyous or pompous? Depends on your mood perhaps. They sure showed up The Beatles estate by them asking to be included in a new edit after turning down the invitation originally. You’d think the band who made the iconic Sgt Peppers cover and Macca playing with them at Live8 would be game right away.

Get on Your Boots - Well, it’s certainly something. How to sink an album in 3 and a half minutes.

Those ATYCLB and HTDAAB videos are pretty nostalgic for me, coming out at the height of my fandom and when they were riding high on that third critical and commercial wave. It was exciting to be into the band and not to have to deal with the general disdain they receive nowadays. Good times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom