Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm considering spending $320 on the coloured vinyl, a beanie, a t-shirt and a print... and I want one of the hoodies if they come back in stock :eek:

I wanted one of the hoodies too, but they were all gone by the time I got home from work yesterday. :sad:

Haha. I just despair because everything is more expensive here. For example, the only place stocking the AB reissue here has it for $78 - and that's the black vinyl.

Also, just listening to Love is Bigger again... as critical and negative as I am of modern day U2, I've gotta hand it to them on that one. If there's one track from the era I'd be happy for them to play live forever, it's that one. It's great. However - it doesn't translate outside of U2 fans. My partner thinks it's nothing more than just okay. She finds it cheesy and on the nose.

Haha. I just despair because everything is more expensive here. For example, the only place stocking the AB reissue here has it for $78 - and that's the black vinyl.

Also, just listening to Love is Bigger again... as critical and negative as I am of modern day U2, I've gotta hand it to them on that one. If there's one track from the era I'd be happy for them to play live forever, it's that one. It's great. However - it doesn't translate outside of U2 fans. My partner thinks it's nothing more than just okay. She finds it cheesy and on the nose.

i hate being "oh but when you're a parent it hits differently" guy, because i'm sure there are plenty of parents who think the song is trash - but for me at least the lyrics of Love Is Bigger hit me there. it REALLY hit me when Bono added a snippet of Father and Son at the beginning during the BBC special, largely because i'm a sap now.

i hate being "oh but when you're a parent it hits differently" guy, because i'm sure there are plenty of parents who think the song is trash - but for me at least the lyrics of Love Is Bigger hit me there. it REALLY hit me when Bono added a snippet of Father and Son at the beginning during the BBC special, largely because i'm a sap now.

This.

Song For Someone may be the weakest thing on SOI, but despite its simplicity it's better-crafted than Get Out, American Soul, and Best Thing. And I think Crazy Tonight is worse too, even if just for not belonging on its respective album (although it's not just that, the falsetto is embarrassing).

Song For Someone may be the weakest thing on SOI, but despite its simplicity it's better-crafted than Get Out, American Soul, and Best Thing. And I think Crazy Tonight is worse too, even if just for not belonging on its respective album (although it's not just that, the falsetto is embarrassing).

Bingo. It’s maudlin but works. Would’ve been a hit for someone who typically works in that wheelhouse, i.e. Adele.

I think this is awesome, stoked you have that connection to it.

Strangely, I actually have a soft spot for Song for Someone. It's well arranged, Bono's vocals and lyrics match up with the melody, it doesn't try to be anything more than what it is (like so many 10s U2 songs). To me it feels like just a genuine nice song.

Song For Someone may be the weakest thing on SOI, but despite its simplicity it's better-crafted than Get Out, American Soul, and Best Thing.

I'm on board with this and agree with Cobbler that it's genuinely nice and pleasant. Hearing it live brought me around to appreciating it.

Overall, tracks 9-13 on SOE are pretty phenomenal. Add in the Love Is All We Have Left and the strings version of Lights of Home and you still have a good 7 songs there. Not bad for guys in their late 50’s (at the time).

Overall, tracks 9-13 on SOE are pretty phenomenal. Add in the Love Is All We Have Left and the strings version of Lights of Home and you still have a good 7 songs there. Not bad for guys in their late 50’s (at the time).

Here for the Landlady appreciation.

6-13 for me, but I seem to be the lone person here who loves The Showman and thinks it should have been a single. One of the catchiest things they've done in a while and self-deprecating in an unforced way (unlike Stand Up Comedy).

But yeah, either way, this is the rare U2 album where the back half annihilates the front half and it's not particularly close. And the reason is because the singles just stink.

Here for the Landlady appreciation.

If we were still doing Shuttlecock lyrics, "Lancemommy" would have been a no-brainer.

6-13 for me, but I seem to be the lone person here who loves The Showman and thinks it should have been a single. One of the catchiest things they've done in a while and self-deprecating in an unforced way (unlike Stand Up Comedy).

You’re not alone. Not playing it live was a huge missed opportunity for a fun singalong on a *new* song (when’s the last time that happened?). My idea, posted here awhile back, was to use the screen as the audience prompt:
View attachment 13030

Last edited:
You’re not alone. Not playing it live was a huge missed opportunity for a fun singalong on a *new* song (when’s the last time that happened?). My idea, posted here awhile back, was to use the screen as the audience prompt:
View attachment 13030

or they could have just made people listen to it by spamming it to their iphone.

either or, really.

Back
Top Bottom