shuttlecock XXIV: it's the little swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know this place is dead, but boy do I have some exciting news... thankfully I've got most of the old crew on FB.

Last night I was filmed for an episode of Hard Quiz. It's a comedic quiz show with a twist - each contestant has a 'special subject'. So that's the appeal of the show, getting people on with strange subjects... there have been sports players, film series, TV shows, food, drinks, kitchen appliances, just about everything.

My special subject was, of course, U2. I won :D and they also said I might be the first person in the history of the show to not get a single question in their special subject wrong.

The episode airs in Q1 next year. I'll be sure to share the link when it's live...

Being the national broadcaster funded by government money (do you have an equivalent?), nothing, aside from a big brass mug that says 'HARD QUIZ'.

Questions from memory were...

1. Bono, Adam and Edge met in the kitchen of the member playing which instrument?
2. Without or Without You was U2's first release on what format?
3. On the first night of the Popmart Tour, the band became stuck in what?
4. The song that saved the band, One, begins with what lyric?
5. Apple promoted one of their iPods with what song in 2004?

So all pretty easy for a fan as obsessed as we are. Q2 was a guess, but really only had one answer. I buzzed in early on Q4, but just in time to hear him say "begins", so I figured it'd be the first line.

You'll see how the rest of the show plays out when it airs, but there's a final round where you do your subject again, but the questions are a lot harder. Well, they're meant to be. :wink: There's five, but I won it after just three.

1. Bono described The Fly as the sound of four men doing what?
2. What factual error is contained in the lyrics of Pride?
3. Bono pissed off the rest of his bandmates at their Live Aid performance by doing what?

Lot of banter with the host. Great fun.

Can't wait to see it. :up: And admire your dogged persistence in trying to get onto every quiz show on Australian TV, I somewhat expect you to try and get on Think Tank before the end of next year.

3. Bono pissed off the rest of his bandmates at their Live Aid performance by doing what?

1. playing punk rock
2. the song was actually supposed to be about Malcolm X
3. falling over drunk

So I know this place is dead, but boy do I have some exciting news... thankfully I've got most of the old crew on FB.

Last night I was filmed for an episode of Hard Quiz. It's a comedic quiz show with a twist - each contestant has a 'special subject'. So that's the appeal of the show, getting people on with strange subjects... there have been sports players, film series, TV shows, food, drinks, kitchen appliances, just about everything.

My special subject was, of course, U2. I won :D and they also said I might be the first person in the history of the show to not get a single question in their special subject wrong.

The episode airs in Q1 next year. I'll be sure to share the link when it's live...

That's pretty cool. As someone who has tried to get on a couple American game shows (Jeopardy, where I passed the audition test was put into a file for possible contestants but that pompous Alex Trebek never called me to be on the show and the Regis Philbin primetime version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire where again I passed the original test, had to do a final "fastest finger" test by phone, and never heard back), I am a tad envious.

I don't know the answer to the Live Aid question

bono pissed off the rest of them by jumping into the crowd during bad and dancing with that woman for 10 minutes and thus forcing them to cut out the planned third song. they thought at first that he had blown a huge opportunity for them, not really realizing what a big breakthrough moment it actually was until later.

bono pissed off the rest of them by jumping into the crowd during bad and dancing with that woman for 10 minutes and thus forcing them to cut out the planned third song. they thought at first that he had blown a huge opportunity for them, not really realizing what a big breakthrough moment it actually was until later.
Ahhhh ok that's right. Thanks

I don't have the exact wordings, I can't remember, so I'm sure you're right about the Pop one. Either way, the answer was lemon. And WOWY was their first release on CD, yes.

Would be interested to know from people here if they a) knew all the answers b) reckon they'd have been able to nail them on a TV quiz show?

Do you introduce yourself as “cobbler”?

No, but I did shout out this forum.

Did you wear the hat?

No, it didn't look good for TV. Sadly.

Questions from memory were...

1. Bono, Adam and Edge met in the kitchen of the member playing which instrument?
2. Without or Without You was U2's first release on what format?
3. On the first night of the Popmart Tour, the band became stuck in what?
4. The song that saved the band, One, begins with what lyric?
5. Apple promoted one of their iPods with what song in 2004?

Questions 1 and 2 appear to be written in Australian English. Can’t tell if #1 is Larry or drums, but I’ll go with the latter. #2 I could have guessed, but would’ve struggled with it if you just asked me what U2’s first release on CD was. #3 I’m saving popmart for when they retire, I don’t know what they got stuck in. Perhaps they got stuck in a moment. #4, does the whole sentence suffice, or is “is” the answer? #5... ok, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

There's five, but I won it after just three.

#1 dunno, #2 it wasn’t early morning was it? Maybe in Ireland it was reeeeally early... #3 changing the song title to “My Brain is Hanging Upside Down” because Bono Ramone didn’t want to upset the republicans (hows that for some trivia?!?)

I knew all the answers. Most of us probably did.

but could you answer them on a TV set with a studio audience and lights on you up against a sharp-witted comedian host and three other contestants who can answer before you?

i guess it must be all cameras in general that make the hat look bad. :wink:

could you pick literally any topic you wanted?

yep. that's the idea of the show, what makes it so watchable. I applied, was successful, went to rehearsals, was successful.

I’m confused, they found other U2 obsessives to compete against you? Or you each get to pick a topic but can answer other contestant’s questions?

And I know this stuff backwards and forwards so I’d like to think I’d be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom