shuttlecock XXIV: it's the little swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

I don't have the posting history or volume of many others on this forum, but this has been one of my favorite sites to visit since I joined 15 years ago. It's so weird to think I've been on Interference for half my life, but there it is. B&C is still one of the first sites I visit every day.

I've gotten so many great band and artist suggestions from the members here, it really formed the basis for the music I listen to now. Hell, this place made me aware of St. Vincent on her first album, and now she's my favorite current artist outside of U2. This forum has provided incredibly insightful discussions as well as some of the funniest jokes and memes I've ever read.

Even though our collective opinion of the band's last decade has been...uh...mixed, I hope that there are many more years of life for this forum, even if it's just a handful of us. Maybe one day I'll actually meet someone from Interference in-person. That would be cool.

I now return to my regularly-scheduled lurking and semi-regular posting.

a lot of folks here seem to have really hated me right around the time i had stopped posting for about a year or two because i had joined the army.

based on some of the posts in the horribly-titled "hip hop purists" thread i started back in the day. there's even one post in particular by someone who's still a regular here where they openly say they're thankful i'm gone because i was an irritating little kid who they don't care about at all (despite specifically writing a post about how much they dislike me long after i was gone). not going to call that person out specifically since either their opinion seems to have changed by now, or they do a damn good job of hiding it and i'm not looking for apologies or equivocation or anything. but coming back after reading that and a whole bunch of similar but less-harsh posts ("fuck that guy, he was an idiot, just look at this stupid thread title") put me in a similar space of wanting to be liked and wanting to show that i wasn't that little kid that everyone apparently couldn't stand. so yeah, i feel your post pretty hard cobbler. :hug:

luckily for the sake of my own mental health, now i've learned to not give a shit about what anyone thinks and openly embrace your collective disdain of me :evil:

Dave was my guardian angel against interference vitriol™️.

And Hewson of course. What a guy.

I don’t think at any point I ever felt the stress of wanting to fit in, but as you all know I’m very defensive (you’ll have to stick to the perimeter headache), and for a long time it dealt me a great deal of anxiety feeling like I always managed to stick out. And certainly for things I didn’t wanna stick out for. But nowadays I think I care a lot more about what you folks think of me.

I was hit by a car while riding a bicycle. It was a hit-and-run and they never located the person who did it. I broke nine bones in my face and skull as well as my thumb. Bono ain't got shit on me.

Jesus. That’s rough, glad you’re okay. And here I thought you got fed up with the politics.

Saw this in a record club email I get and thought it sounded a hell of a lot like someone here...

"To me, there is nothing like the transition of despair in the soul-crushing future hymn "Moment of Surrender" to the reawakening in "Unknown Caller," both recorded in a single take. The album didn't do well commercially (radio hits) but I believed it to be ahead of its time and still listen to it often. U2 abandoned this direction to chase radio hits with their next two albums. Hopefully, if there is another album to come they return to this direction (i.e. Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite)". - Travis

Saw this in a record club email I get and thought it sounded a hell of a lot like someone here...

"To me, there is nothing like the transition of despair in the soul-crushing future hymn "Moment of Surrender" to the reawakening in "Unknown Caller," both recorded in a single take. The album didn't do well commercially (radio hits) but I believed it to be ahead of its time and still listen to it often. U2 abandoned this direction to chase radio hits with their next two albums. Hopefully, if there is another album to come they return to this direction (i.e. Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite)". - Travis

Travis Bickle maybe?

:wink:

I haven't been around much, no particular reason why. I'll never truly leave while the site is still here.

I've gotten into dumb fights with people over the years, but have made some really great connections. I love being able to say that I've made so many friends here over the years, and that I've been fortunate enough to meet so many in person over the years (hope that trend isn't over - surely there's at least one more tour in these fools?).

I may just be brain-fried after a long day of stupid work, or I may just be old forgetful ... is there an inside joke about vitriol I'm forgetting?

:reject:

I may just be brain-fried after a long day of stupid work, or I may just be old forgetful ... is there an inside joke about vitriol I'm forgetting?

:reject:

I can’t remember if someone else also brings up the interference vitriol or if it’s just me.

But I feel like I’m not the only one who remembers this. But then again I can’t read everyone’s mind. Someone big fancy word dropped it in an argument long ago.

I'm late to the party for deep and meaningful posts, but let's go.

This site has been a massive part of my life since I was sixteen. I seriously and truly would not be the same without it. I disown basically everything I posted in my first three or four years here, though it is true that some of the most vibrant and fun times were during the Vertigo Tour. The Superthreads kept my head above water during an extremely lonely and difficult time in my life. I've travelled foreign countries with some of you. I've slept on some of your couches, let some of you sleep on mine, had meals with you, shared drinks, been to gigs, followed your recommendations, you name it. I've lost track of how many people I've met from here; some are now among my closest friends, one was my partner for over five years. Interference might be quiet now but I hope it never falls silent.

You can't make over 152,500 posts without pissing some people off, and I know I have my detractors and enemies here. I probably dissuaded some people from posting, some who we're better off without but some whose presence definitely made this place better, and I regret that. I've long since calmed the fuck down and gotten over most of those disagreements. There are cretins in FYM who can go jump, and a couple of nincompoops who keep turning up in the U2 forums, but hell I've even come to not care about the people who just post in game threads. Sure it contributes nothing to the forum and I'll be a little disappointed when I am inevitably overtaken as the highest poster by someone whose leading contribution to Interference is what they are wearing or eating or smelling, but hey they're harmless and having their own fun, who cares? So, if I'm not fussed by that silliness any more, that should suggest I've long since come to tolerate laz as well. :wink:

Anyway, I look forward to kicking Headache's arse before JT30 Melbourne, when it eventually happens in 2043, and then enjoying the show with him.

I've slept on some of your couches, let some of you sleep on mine, had meals with you, shared drinks, been to gigs
hey, this applies to me! i'm glad i finally got to meet you in person after talking online for way too long.

since everyone's doing sentimental posts, i might as well join in. i am also kinda late to the party (been working 60 hour work weeks lately). i'm probably not too well-liked around these parts due to being an admin and having to play the bad guy sometimes, although now between me mellowing out a bit and the fact that the forums are so dead now they mostly run themselves, hopefully that's not as much the case anymore. but i have truly made some wonderful friends on this site, nearly all of whom post in here. i've been lucky enough to meet many of you in person. you're all good people, including those i haven't met yet.

I feel the personalities and humour of the posters here shines through far more than at any other U2 related site, and we can also have quality serious discussions when they're needed. Thanks.

Glad you're doing okay, Jerry.

It'll be...dang, 17 years this year that I've been coming here. I've had no issues with anyone-I've had some strong disagreements with people in the politics section from time to time, but I don't have any enemies, and hopefully nobody's seen me as one in turn. There's been times over the years I've gone quiet on this site, but only because I was either without internet access or just got busy with other stuff. Never because anyone or anything drove me away. I've had plenty of good memories and discussions here over the years, and even if I'm just lurking at times, I'll stick around for as long as this site's here.

I've never met any of you offline, but if I'm ever in your area someday or you're ever in mine, I'd love to change that. If this site does ever shut down, I'd like to find other ways to keep in touch :).

Oh, that is why I left, you were correct. I think I stopped posting in the spring, I did not eat the pavement until October.

So the pavement brought you back to us then?

And is your name actually Jerry because I don’t think I can handle people calling you Jerry Dunk any more than I can handle being called “Lucky.” ?

Leave Britney alone. My regular moniker was taken, and would only be considered cliche in U2 circles. Everyone else just thought I was either straight edge or, in less fortunate cases, well, let’s not go there.

So the pavement brought you back to us then?

And is your name actually Jerry because I don’t think I can handle people calling you Jerry Dunk any more than I can handle being called “Lucky.” ?

His name is not actually Jerry. Dunk however just might be his real last name.

I've been away for a while, so what's the story? PFan is resurrected as JDunk after a hit and run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom