shuttlecock XXIV: it's the little swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you're a U2 fan if...

Pitchfork makes a slightly negative remark about the band in a retro review of Bjork's Post album, and you take to the Facebook post of the article to correct the misinformation:

I love Bjork, and this album is nothing short of revolutionary, but one part of the write-up is confusing in its condensation/collapse of time: <<Having previously played with rock bands—the Sugarcubes toured with U2 and Public Image Ltd—Björk found “there was absolutely no creativity in rock venues.” Yearning to meet artists pushing sound to reflect the moment... >> This implies it was those bands whose tours lacked creativity or relevance, whereas the actual quote from the book refers to when she first started touring in 1988 for The Sugarcubes' first album, in decidedly smaller venues. While they did play with New Order and PIL in the summer of 1989, they didn't open for U2 until 1992 on that band's ZooTV tour, and I find it hard to believe that she would find that lacking in creativity, considering it was probably the most unique live concert show of its era, and that playing in between those two bands was second opening act Public Enemy. Most of the opening acts on that tour were some hybrid of alt rock/dance/hip-hop, and not the stagnating rock she seemed to be disenchanted with. In fact, by this point Bjork had already decided to leave The Sugarcubes anyway (she turned down an offer to join the Lollapalooza tour), and apparently did these 11 U.S. shows with U2 as a favor to her bandmates. Oddly enough, after the release of Debut, Bjork would open for U2 on one more date of the long tour, at Wembley Stadium in the summer of 1993. Quite the year for her.

:wave:

Last edited:
At the same time, you wouldn’t be Pitchfork if you didn’t find a way to make a slightly negative remark about U2 in a review about another artist.

Lyrics by Bono that haven’t aged well:

“Chinese stocks goin up and I’m coming down with some new Asian virus...”

Lyrics by Bono that haven’t aged well:

“Chinese stocks goin up and I’m coming down with some new Asian virus...”

Or rather, that confirm he can look into the future. :D
If only he included in his lyrics which stocks would be going up... :p

It's a lovely little piano ballad, and a nice sentiment and portrait of this surreal time.

Bono struggling a bit on the high notes in the chorus but it's endearing. He says they just wrote it an hour ago. He should have panned the camera over to the Edge at least once but I guess Bono being a camera hog isn't even remotely surprising!

Nice to hear from them.

I thought I could hear Edge on backup vox. He should have left the high parts to Edge cos he sounds awful on the high notes haha. But a lovely little sentiment, very touching in this scary world we’re living in and nice to hear from him/them. The piano is great and I liked the song.

my father's family traces our heritage to two orphan brothers who were put on a ship from cork in 1847 and sent to work on a farm in quebec. one went to ontario and started a family and one went to nova scotia and started a family and that's where i come from.

my mother's side of the family is so intermixed that i'm sure that if i took one of those ancestry dna tests it would read 50% irish, and there would be a bunch of tiny slices on the other side of the pie chart. part of me wants to take one to satisfy my curiosity but also i don't really want to give my dna sequence to some random corporation.

anyways, erin go bragh.

Last edited:
happy st patrick's day to all of the zero irish people who still frequent this U2 website.

I lurk a lot:wink:

Worst St. Paddy's ever. Also my sister's birthday and well she lives in Syracuse New York, so doesn't matter where she is, whether there or back home, as basically shutdown everywhere.

STAY FARAWAY (NOT CLOSE)!

Green light
Coronavirus
You stop in
For a pack of Cottonelle
Gotta wipe
Don't own a bidet
Hey now
Check your change

Dressed up
With a dust mask
The curve is rising
Gotta flatten it down

They say "Social Distance"
You don't mind
Because social distance
Keeps you alive
Oh now
Is that what it is?

Red light
Quarantine
You stumble
Out of the dent in your couch
A health risk
With some symptoms
Covid really spreads around

YOU SHOULD STAY IN
TO WATCH THE ADVERTS
YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO LIP SYNCH
TO THE TALK SHOWS

And if you look, keep it 6 feet
And if you talk, keep it 6 feet
Because if I touch you, I'll pass the disease

Stay away
Then the curve might flatten down
Stay away
And someday we'll hit the town
Stay away
And a vaccine might be found

Faraway...not close
Up with the Netflix and the HBO
With satellite television...you can go anywhere
Italy, South Korea
Wuhan, Iran, and New York

Self isolation is what it's called
No large gatherings until the fall
And if you shout...used to post here

Stay away
Then the curve might flatten down
Stay away
Then someday we'll hit the town
Stay away
From the restaurants now
Away
From the bars and the sounds
AWAYYYYYYYYY
Until the vaccine can be found

It's 3 o'clock in the morning
I'm writing
This stupid parody song
In a place called Bang and Clatter
And I'm glad it's still around

Just the Bang and the Clatter
I'm glad this place is still around

Holy shit, Bono turns 60 years old today. That's crazy. For some reason, that particular number is kind of mind blowing to me right now. Our man is officially old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom